"Darkest Hour" - who's seen it?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The trailers of "Darkest Hour" look good, but I don't go to the movie houses anymore for a variety of reasons. Looks like I'll have to wait until it's released on DVD.

That said, who has seen it and what did you think?

Cheers,

RR

I've not seen it either, but I will look into it! Sounds intriguing...

We love going to the movies and we really enjoyed The Darkest Hour! So far my second fav of awards season. :shock:

daveinlax":6q0yba10 said:
We love going to the movies and we really enjoyed The Darkest Hour! So far my second fav of awards season. :shock:
How was the performance of Churchill? And was the story line accurate or embellished?

Just a general inquiry, and I don't ask to make it a spoiler.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":bcijkyol said:
daveinlax":bcijkyol said:
How was the performance of Churchill? And was the story line accurate or embellished?

Cheers,

RR
Not a student of Churchill or the war but we love period drama's and this picture is right up my alley. We did a double feature that day with The Greatest Showman first (the wrong order) but The Darkest Hour was short and Oldman blustery performance and the whole cast left me wanting more even after all that seat time. A very different feel from Lithgow's older Churchill in Netflix The Crown.:shock:

daveinlax":hzwhoxc8 said:
Brewdude":hzwhoxc8 said:
daveinlax":hzwhoxc8 said:

Cheers,

RR
Not a student of Churchill or the war but we love period drama's and this picture is right up my alley. We did a double feature that day with The Greatest Showman first (the wrong order) but The Darkest Hour was short and Oldman blustery performance and the whole cast left me wanting more even after all that seat time. A very different feel from Lithgow's older Churchill in Netflix The Crown.:shock:
Appreciate your views. I'll look forward to this.

Not familiar with "The Greatest Showman" but will look into it, as well as "The Crown".

Cheers,

RR

My favorite version of Churchill was Robert Hardy in the 1980s tv series 'Churchill: the Wilderness Years' (1929-39)

The best book on the primary argument in the British Cabinet over possibly negotiating with Hitler (there were some after France surrendered) is John Lucas' 'Five Days in London: May, 1940'.

I thought it was very well filmed with many exciting shots that did not over dramatize depicted events, but reinforced the emotions of those moments. The acting was superb all the way around. There is some fictionalization mingled in (particularly in the personal scenes surrounding the war), but the historical facts seem mostly correct. I doubt Churchill privately suffered over the decision as much or in the way it was depicted, but the audience seemed gripped by it all, so I would say all of that was very effective. Oldman took center stage in this movie in much the same way George C. Scott did in Patton, and the viewer comes away with positive feelings of both men when those movies end.

On another subject, smoking was cut to a minimum even though the events take place in 1940. There was a pipe in an ashtray at a table, but there wasn't one smoked, and mostly, only Gary Oldman as "Winston Churchill" was smoking. Two people smoked a cigarette. At the end of the movie was a disclaimer regarding second hand smoke and that the movie did not encourage smoking.