DIY cake press for storage

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

RSteve

Reaction score
I just checked and the one for $13.99 is still in stock.
Minus one, 'cause I ordered one and it was delivered today. It is identical to the $9.99 press; same packaging, same dies, same little instruction sheet.
And as Timbo wrote: "Oh, after filling your press up and pressing it, don't forget to tighten it up further every couple of days."
I've found that after three tightenings, mine have reached the limit.

RSteve

Reaction score
I had reached the point with my first pressing in the noodle press that the tobacco was hard as a rock and there couldn't be any further tightening. I had filled the tube completely. When I decided to remove the contents, I couldn't unscrew the bottom of the press. It's polished stainless and the bottom screwed on attachment kept sliding in my hand. I thought I might have to get a tool similar to an oil filter wrench. Then the lightbulb in my head brightened. I put on disposable latex gloves and there was no problem unscrewing the bottom attachment. I turned the crank and as the tobacco came out of the tube, the crank was easier and easier to turn. The tobacco is extremely compressed, holding tightly together. On a scale, it weighs exactly 7 oz. I double wrapped it in plastic wrap and put it in a zip lock baggie.

Then, of course, I filled the the press with another of my blends, progressively filling and tightening. It's also an English blend with 42% latakia. Unlike most of my blends, this has toasted burley and Kentucky dark fired. The unique thing about this blend (to me) is that I have no recollection of assembling it. I did smoke a bowl; not bad at all. I like it even with the burley, although it does seem to have more nicotine than my other blends.

I'm due to receive 8 oz. of whole leaf perique. I'm thinking about assembling a blend with red Virginia, toasted red Virginia, Turkish, izmir, smyrna, and perique; no latakia and pressing it in the noodle press. I have to think about proportions of each component to the blend. Suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:

Timbo

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I read that line too fast and because of it, had some wishful thinking. I thought it read:
"When it's time to take the tobacco out, take the bottom off the press and keep screwing till the puck drops out."
I missed a word.
Hehehehe

RSteve

Reaction score
I received the 8 oz. of whole leaf perique, so now I'm thinking about assembling a blend with red Virginia, toasted red Virginia, burley, Turkish, izmir, smyrna, and perique; no latakia and pressing it in the noodle press. I have to think about proportions of each component to the blend. Suggestions appreciated.
This is where I'm at with the blend:

Last edited:

RSteve

Reaction score
Further notes on the noodle press.
I decided to press some of the English blend with some cherry that I assembled in this thread: The English Blend With Some Cherry Aromatic
As I noted, after making significant additions, the cherry (to me) has pretty much disappeared, thankfully.
I tightened the press for three consecutive days and the tube of tobacco felt as compressed as it was going to get. I let it sit for several days and intended to remove the compacted tube of tobacco today. I thought to see if I could even turn the crank a bit. It turned several and I'll let it rest again.

RSteve

Reaction score
Placed the order, below, to add to 2 oz. of whole leaf perique

I figure that if I don't like the blend, sans any latakia, I can add 11 oz.of latakia which will bring the total contents to 27 oz. with latakia 40.7% of the blend, which is right in my usual wheelhouse.

Last edited:

RSteve

Reaction score

I smoked a couple of bowls and it's not for me without 40% latakia, so I ordered 12 oz. of latakia to add to the blend. What can I say, other than I'm hooked on the smokiness and minimal nicotine of the latakia. (but no cherry)

Last edited: