Do You Still Have?....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
Your first pipe?...... Mine was a Dr.Grabow Silver Duke rusticated bent billiard complete with plastic stem with a p-lip! It resides in a drawer with other personal keepsakes. I tried smoking it for the first time in a decade last year and was immediately reminded of why I bought a Stanwell shortly thereafter....

I still have mine. It's a small meerschaum with a figural hand "holding" the bowl, bent faux-amber stem. My parents got it for me when I was... 14ish? from the tobacconist that used to be on Main St. USA in Disney World. I knew nothing about pipes and I had no inclination to smoke a cigarette, but something about this pipe really fascinated me.

My ignorance really hurt that pipe... the rim was scorched and part of the screw-style tenon melted when I "lit" it, empty, with a match for a movie my friends and I made in high school. And I certainly handled it with dirty hands. But still, it smokes pretty well... still gets used when the aromatic bug bites me.

I bought my first one from a tobacconist here in town that has since closed shop. Don't have it anymore and couldn't even tell you who made it. I paid about 30 bucks for it in '93. Kind of wish I knew where it was.

I still have mine. Its a no-name partially smooth/partially carved 1/4 bent freehand stamped "Made in Israel".

LtMac

No. An interesting little Peterson apple with a P lip. Wish I had it now. It went away with a couple others back in the early 1980's when I never had any success with the pipe.

My first was a cob I bought from a local convinince store for a buck or two back in about 1982-83. It's long gone. Had a couple of Dr. Grabows after that. I went through about 10 years without pipe, moving several times and they all disappeared.
:pipe:

I gave my first pipe, a Peterson rusticated XL90 with a sterling silver band to my son Nathan.

Still have my first two :D 1st a Gr. Grabow round-shank bulldog; 2nd a Dr. Plumb squat bulldog. Both still smokeable, although I haven't done so in decades :!: However, now that I think about it, I just may fire these ol' boys up again! May even have to buy some Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half & Half, or Cherry Blend to smoke in them! Whew, that would be a step back in time :lol!: 'bout 40 years back :mrgreen: :pipe: FTRPLT

I do. It's a little Medico sandblast bent billiard, purchased at Long's Drugs when I was 15 years old, along with a pouch of Borkum Riff Whisky. I was under-age, but mustered up my courage, and boldly went to the checkstand. The guy didn't even blink. In fact, he probably didn't even look up. Even at 15, I was over 6' tall.

I haven't smoked the thing in years, but I'll never part with it.

-glp

The first pipe that I ever purchased was a corn cob and regretfully I don't have it, but that was decades ago and it is probably plowed under in an old corn field down in Randolph County. :D

I still have mine, a Pioneer Gourd Calabash that I bought at a department store in Sacramento, CA in about 1975 or 76. I soon after bought my second, a Nording freehand that I got for $20 with a coupon from a pouch of Amphora. I still smoke both of them every now and again.

Rad

I see why Rad is a pipe maker today, a calabash for the first pipe!

I still have the pipe that got me hooked, a Dr Gabow full bent (very swank) with a meer lining. The first pipe was a small very cheap meer Indian Chief head. I bought it when I was about 17 and a pack of Drum (didn't realize it when I bought it) cigarette tobacco. It is still the worst smoke I ever had.

I bought the Dr Gabow and Capt Black to cover up some other smells in my first apartment.

I don't know who made this rather clunky straight; it went over-seas when Yarnie was trying to gather a care package for them.

Even' All, I still have mine, a S.S.Pierce small[3?] apple, with saddle bit,algerian briar, $2.95, bought in 1960, @ the Rockland Pharmacy, not there anymore, it's going with me,Ken. :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue: From The Frigid Northeast Kingdom! :tongue: :pale: :penguin:

Great topic... My first pipe was a cob, bought when I was 19 or so. I think I got it so I could pick up chicks. My first briar was an estate Bari, bought from a tobacco store on Northern Lights Boulevard in Anchorage, Alaska. I think I was 21 or so. I had it for years, took it camping, commercial fishing, etc. It eventually broke, or I lost it, not sure which. I really did not know how to smoke back then -- I just thought it was cool and kind of different. Went through some more cobs, then bought a Lorenzo 1/2 bent brandy back in 2002 or so. Kind of got serious with that pipe, but broke it in half (it was in my pack) when I fell on it backcountry skiing. Then, last Spring, I got really excited about pipes and tobacco and bought a Peterson System 206 (sitter) that is a great pipe. To bring us to present: In the fall of last year I discovered this pack of jackals called the "BoB" and the rest is history!

No, I don't have my first pipe and it's been so long I'm not positive of the make. I think it was a "Pocket Pal" but haven't been able to find a link nor any information about them. The oldest pipe I've purchased and still have is a Kaywoodie Zulu, though it does have many nicks and dings. I smoke it occasionally when there's no potential for damage.

Due to all my outside work and hobbies, I've lost a bunch of pipes through accidents and carelessness. It seems like quail always rise when I've just lit up or a nice trout or bass strikes. I have one Dr. Grabow I lost about 15 years ago when trying to get my truck unstuck on a hunting trip. I found it a month later having run over it. Spinning truck tires and Georgia red clay don't agree with pipes. :lol: After some stem buffing, dirt removal and drying out, I still smoke it.

Jim

No... my first pipe was a Medico in the mid-sixties... went through many of them over the years with Sail & Borkum Riff blends... wish I had them all as keep sakes...

Yes, mine was a GBD small bent billiard, French made, purchased on December 21, 1971. It never drew worth a damn as the channel from the stem never aligned with the shank. I rarely ever smoked it. A few months ago I had Premal Chheda make a ebonite replacement stem (including dropping the original GBD medallion in) and now it smokes great. So my first pipe is a really a new pipe to me.