Dunhill - Kohlhase & Kopp

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I studied a bunch of Dunhill tins at a B&M yesterday. All the tins were identical but some had Made in Denmark and some had EU. I really don't know who is making it. I've heard there's some production overlap between K&K and Orlik. I wonder if K&K has the capacity to produce a brand a large as Dunhill. :shock:

daveinlax":8bwbxzhl said:
I studied a bunch of Dunhill tins at a B&M yesterday. All the tins were identical but some had Made in Denmark and some had EU. I really don't know who is making it. I've heard there's some production overlap between K&K and Orlik. I wonder if K&K has the capacity to produce a brand a large as Dunhill. :shock:
K&K is one of the largest German blenders. They make several of the Peterson blends, as well as many others. They are larger than Murray was, and they did fine back when there were MORE pipe smokers than there are world wide today so I'm sure they would probably have the capacity. And it seems as if the transition from Orlik to K&K has not effected the supply as did when Orlik got licensing when Murray closed. If you are interested, buy some tins and give us a report on what you think :twisted:

I went to PipesMagazine to listen to this show because this was news to me. And rather surprising news, too, as I imagine STG makes some nice coin with their license to produce the Dunhill stuff and I couldn't believe they'd let it go. Anyway, before listening, I found this exchange in the thread of comments:

sebert81 said:
Hi Brian,
enjoyed this episode (as always). Some stuff:
Kohlhaase & Kopp does NOT produce the Dunhill tobaccos (or this is a entirely new developement). Afaik they are still made by Orlik/STG, K&K is only the distributor for many parts of the world (Europe at least).
And I think there are somme errors in your description of how DTM was formed and how they are represented in the US, but I’ll have to do some research on that first.
Best regards
Sebastian, Stuttgart, Germany

_________

Kevin said:
@sebert81 - We have information that Kohlhase & Kopp does make Dunhill tobaccos now.
-
You can see Dunhill here: http://www.kohlhase-tobacco.com/site/index.php?id=460
-
It is ommmitted here: http://www.st-group.com/index.php/pipe-tobacco/complete-brand-list

sebert81 said:
Hi Kevin,
I wrote to Kohlhaase & Kopp, and this is what they answered:
“[..]das Unternehmen Kohlhase & Kopp ist ausschließlich der Importeur von Dunhill Tabaken und diese werden von uns in Deutschland exklusiv vertrieben. Scandinavian Tobacco Group ist wiederum der lizensierte Produzent der Dunhill Tabake. Markeninhaber ist aber British American Tobacco. Das ist wohl auch der Grund, weshalb Sie diese Tabake nicht in der Liste der Scandinavian Tobacco Group finden.”
Translation:
K & K is solely the importer of Dunhill tobaccos and is the exclusive distributor for them in Germany. STG is the licensed manufacturer of the Dunhill tobaccos, whereas the brand [when it comes to tobaccos] is owned by British American Tobacco. This is probably the reason why they are not listed on the STG site.
Apparently they only list their own brands there…
Best regards
Sebastian
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/radio-talk-show/the-pipes-magazine-radio-show-episode-20/#more-6495

So it appears that Dunhill continues to be produced by STG. It makes sense because you can also find Samuel Gawith tobaccos on K&K's site... but obviously they aren't producing them, and must just be the German distributor for those as well.

keen smoke,

Good research work. In my experience, it is often best to take such things "cum grano salis."

Great detective work guys, thanks for all the info.

I was kind of hoping KK would be taking over the blending because I am a huge fan of many of their blends. They make some damn fine stuff. I do love my Dunhill Flake and Deluxe Navy Rolls, but I would like to see what KK would do with them. I still like the older Dunhill Light Flake a bit more over the newer version.

And thanks from me as well.

Now I can just chalk up the rotten consistency in the Dunhills, from tin to tin, to STG production and begin again to avoid them.

Huh, that's interesting. I've had extremely consistent quality from the Orlik Dunhill stuff. Maybe I've been lucky, idk, but my opinion based on my experience is that STG is doing an amazing job with the Dunhill blends.

keen smoke":7m9weu0j said:
Huh, that's interesting. I've had extremely consistent quality from the Orlik Dunhill stuff. Maybe I've been lucky, idk, but my opinion based on my experience is that STG is doing an amazing job with the Dunhill blends.
Having smoke d Dunhill 'bacs for some time now I would concur with you as to the quality Orlik has maintained in them since they took over. Sure there are some taste differnces btwn them and Murray's but that was the case even "back then" as time went on with Murray's. Orlik's done a bang-up job IMO :p

monbla256":wfnp8yuq said:
keen smoke":wfnp8yuq said:
Having smoke d Dunhill 'bacs for some time now I would concur with you as to the quality Orlik has maintained in them since they took over. Sure there are some taste differnces btwn them and Murray's but that was the case even "back then" as time went on with Murray's. Orlik's done a bang-up job IMO :p
"Different strokes for different folks."

Royal Yacht has been very consistent. Standard Mixture, Standard Mixture Mellow have varied. Until recently London Mixture was steady but now varies with the amount of the sweeter Orientals now showing heavier, which is fine with me but still makes my purchases of it a craps shoot.
Going back to my C&D favorites and not straying again.

Aristokles":co9ldy8k said:
monbla256":co9ldy8k said:
keen smoke":co9ldy8k said:
"Different strokes for different folks."

Royal Yacht has been very consistent. Standard Mixture, Standard Mixture Mellow have varied. Until recently London Mixture was steady but now varies with the amount of the sweeter Orientals now showing heavier, which is fine with me but still makes my purchases of it a craps shoot.
Going back to my C7D favorites and not straying again.
Seems like things go round in the same circles. I recall back in the early 80's when many of the "old timers" who had smoked many of the Dunhill mixtures BEFORE Murray took over blending, said much the same as you have. I guess some things never change :twisted: