Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading your posts and concerns about buying a 12oz tub and possibly not liking this new blend, I've decided to make it available in 2oz. packets. It is now available on my website, and I hope this will encourage most of you to try this reincarnated blend.

You ask....I respond.

Rich Gottlieb
4noggins.com

Dang! I just received my order of G&H stuff - order with confidence boys, good vendor!

4noggins.com":p5hpot0z said:
After reading your posts and concerns about buying a 12oz tub and possibly not liking this new blend, I've decided to make it available in 2oz. packets. It is now available on my website, and I hope this will encourage most of you to try this reincarnated blend.

You ask....I respond.

Rich Gottlieb
4noggins.com
Thank you, Rich!  You've got my next order!

Just now, I got two 1.5 ounce tins of the new production of Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend to test smoke before official release. So I'll be smoking a bit of it, breaking my normal routine of not smoking the same tobacco back to back, so I can accurately judge the quality of the new production, and report to Sutliff on it. I'm smoking the first bowl in a 1982 black sandblasted paneled slight bend Savinelli flat bottom sitter.

Btw, by sheer coincidence, a fellow pipe smoker sent me a couple of ounces of the 1960s version of EGR, and it arrived at my house about an hour after I got the tins from Sutliff. I'm hydrating it a little and will test it out either later tonight or tomorrow.

Sutliff makes some great blends and has forever. I didn't realize that the Edw. G.R. Blend was ever discontinued. When I toured the plant years ago it was still in production, as I have some pouches of it. I believe they also blend Spilman's Mixture which is a very old burley blend and just magnificent IMO.
Sutliff also supports all pipe clubs that I am familiar with and send many samples for the members to enjoy.
They are TOPS when it comes to tobacco. And despite what everyone says about Mixture 79, I still enjoy it from the first time I smoked it in 1968.

docwatson":3sbx1sbf said:
Sutliff makes some great blends and has forever. I didn't realize that the Edw. G.R. Blend was ever discontinued. When I toured the plant years ago it was still in production, as I have some pouches of it. I believe they also blend Spilman's Mixture which is a very old burley blend and just magnificent IMO.
Sutliff also supports all pipe clubs that I am familiar with and send many samples for the members to enjoy.
They are TOPS when it comes to tobacco. And despite what everyone says about Mixture 79, I still enjoy it from the first time I smoked it in 1968.
I don't know the details, but I believe there was a production gap from the original maker and when Sutliff bought the blend. I don't know how long that gap might have been. When did you tour the plant? And how does the EGR you have taste? Do you still smoke EGR?

Sutliff is a great company. They care about their product, and as you can see, they care about pleasing their customers. Look how hard they've worked to insure EGR is right, and they did listen to me about selling it in 1.5 oz. tins. And, I'm just a customer. I never had any contact with them before I requested a sample of EGR. And when I did (on the day they were discussing discontinuing it), they generously sent me an entire tub. I doubt very much any other company would sent a free 12 oz. tub to an inquiring customer.

I'm about to post this in the WAYS thread, but I'll do it here, too: I'm smoking 1960's Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in a 2003 IMP horn Meer. It smells different out of the baggie than the tub of EGR Sutliff sent me some months back, and different than the freshly minted EGR tin I got today. But, as I'm getting into it, the taste is very similar to what I've been smoking today, the difference being this '60s version has a light wine taste I did not get from the other versions. Might be fermentation? I'll find out as I smoke more of it. I sure like the taste of it, though!

Yes,
There certainly was a gap in production before Sutliff started making the EGR blend, and I can't recall how long it was either.
I toured the plant about 6 years ago, maybe longer, I don't recall the exact year, but it was in October while attending the CORPS Pipe Show. It was an experience I'll always treasure and I took many pictures of the factory and production.
I think you are correct regarding the fermentation/wine taste from the old blend. I have smoked many very old aromatic burley blends from the past and had similar experiences with the change in flavor.
This is why trying to re-create old blends is a science and even though blenders come close they will never be exactly the same.
I do still smoke the EGR blend and enjoy it very much. However I've never been married to a single tobacco or blend in the last 20 years. There's just too much out there to enjoy and I've pretty much tried them all except for the newest blends.

Doc,
Funny that you said you haven't been married to one blend the last twenty years. Neither have I. I spent quite a bit of time looking for that one blend, and the only thing that ever came close is the VaPer Three Nuns. And even then, I was smoking other blends, too. Since I smoke all day every day, I don't believe one or two blends could keep me happy. But as for having favorites, of course that would be a different matter. I'm just glad Sutliff will keep EGR around.

-Jim

PS I assume you're a Doc Watson fan. Am I correct?

I am a Doc Watson fan ( the musician RIP) as well as the Sherlockian Doctor Watson. It's a nickname that I acquired as one of the early members of the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club of Boston of which I have been member for over 20 years.

As for Sutliff, I believe they have just expanded their lifetime now that they are part of MacBaren. A fine merger indeed.

I agree on your Sutliff comment.

I had wondered if your name did double duty. Glad to see another Doc Watson fan here. Not long ago, I found a web site where you can get free audio downloads of a number of his concerts. if you're interested, let me and I'll supply you the URL.

I've heard of your pipe club before. Sounds like a great organization.

This blend is outside what I usually like these days, but after reading this thread, I thought I'd add 2 oz of bulk on my latest order.  And, if I don't like it, I know where to send it on to!

Ya, this is a Zombie thread. But one worth resurrecting-

I finally opened my tub of EGR I got back in 7/13 (yes I know you were all waiting with baited breath, eager anticipation, or total disregard. Take your pick.)

First try at it in my Sav 1/2 bent billiard this afternoon. Quite impressed right out of the gate, and I'm not an aro guy at all!

The tin (tub in this case) aroma is beguiling, and is very rich and certainty "old timey" to my senses. And the moisture content was perfect and required no drying.

Took to the match just fine, and had but a few re-lights when I wasn't paying attention.

Didn't pay enough mind to the flavors to be able to describe them here. Suffice to say I smoked it all the way down and enjoyed each and every puff! Thanks Jim for the impetus for getting this in.

EGR may be an aro, but the aro factor is certainly mild enough to not even notice afaic. I'll be exploring this more in a few other pipes soon. This could become a go-to for me. And this from a hardcore VA/VaPer guy! Say it ain't so!!

:scratch:

:geek:

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude, I, too, am a Va/VaPer guy,and was surprised I liked EGR when I tried it for the first time. I've smoked a lot of aros, but have really only liked but a relative few, and even fewer for a regular smoke. EGR is one of them. I enjoy it every time I smoke it. I always smoke a bowl of day, and would do more if I didn't have so much open baggies and tins.