Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
29bedb10.jpg
[/url][/img]

When I smoke EGR the taste really transports me to being in a Robinson flick, especially the ones from the late 30's early 40's like Bullets or Ballots or I am the Law. You just know that's what it smelled like being around Eddie. The blend has really grown on me. The only thing is I find it really bites. Now I almost only smoke lakelands and I literally never ever ever get tongue bite, not with Virginia's, aros anything no matter how hard and fast i puff no bite ever. But even sipping EGR or Mix 79 or 3 star blue (all sutliff) I just get instant bite. Why is this? I don't get it

Bugsahearn":3uvedh1n said:
When I smoke EGR the taste really transports me to being in a Robinson flick, especially the ones from the late 30's early 40's like Bullets or Ballots or I am the Law. You just know that's what it smelled like being around Eddie. The blend has really grown on me. The only thing is I find it really bites. Now I almost only smoke lakelands and I literally never ever ever get tongue bite, not with Virginia's, aros anything no matter how hard and fast i puff no bite ever. But even sipping EGR or Mix 79 or 3 star blue (all sutliff) I just get instant bite. Why is this? I don't get it
I never got tongue bite from any of them. It's the same old questions: are you fast smoker (guess you can eliminate that one)? Do you regularly press your tongue against the draw hole? Is it body chemistry? I hear from others that smoking blends that tend to bite them do much better with a filter in the pipe. I've never tried that myself, but then again, I seldom get tongue bite, so I haven't tried it. I'm not crazy about filters either, but maybe that would work for you?

JimInks":3148npae said:
Bugsahearn":3148npae said:
I never got tongue bite from any of them. It's the same old questions: are you fast smoker (guess you can eliminate that one)? Do you regularly press your tongue against the draw hole? Is it body chemistry? I hear from others that smoking blends that tend to bite them do much better with a filter in the pipe. I've never tried that myself, but then again, I seldom get tongue bite, so I haven't tried it. I'm not crazy about filters either, but maybe that would work for you?
thanks Jim, I like a very open draw so don't think I would like a filter much. Maybe it is body chemistry since the gawith blends have never bitten me, although i don't think i've ever heard anyone complaining about them biting

Jim, I too tend to shy away from aros because they don't agree with my body chemistry. However, I recently read online that EGR was a favorite of the renowned author Shelby Foote.

It seems that he liked to mix a bit of rough burley into his EGR, in order to allow him to pack his pipe to his preferences. I am anxious to try this blend with and without the burley, and experience Dr. Foote's favorite blend he preferred to smoke while writing.

Dutch":5wge1rqs said:
Jim, I too tend to shy away from aros because they don't agree with my body chemistry. However, I recently read online that EGR was a favorite of the renowned author Shelby Foote.

It seems that he liked to mix a bit of rough burley into his EGR, in order to allow him to pack his pipe to his preferences. I am anxious to try this blend with and without the burley, and experience Dr. Foote's favorite blend he preferred to smoke while writing.
While you're doing that, buy some Match Barking Dog. Some time near the end of his smoking days, Foote was cutting EGR with one third Barking Dog. I know this because a friend of mine, who talked to Foote about this, used to get his mixture from the same shop Foote did. So you may want to try that, too.

EGR is one of my favorites and I've never been bitten by it, at least not the current blend. It's a shame other pipers aren't as fortunate.

Interestingly, the second time I had a bowl it bit me like a rabid dog. First time I've had tongue bite in I don't know how many years! Dunno what that was all about as I didn't think my cadence was any faster than normal. And the moisture level was the same as the first bowl, which is to say not terribly moist.

Came back to it a month or so later and concentrated on slower puffing and all was well. Go figure!

:scratch: 

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":cacqsd61 said:
Interestingly, the second time I had a bowl it bit me like a rabid dog. First time I've had tongue bite in I don't know how many years! Dunno what that was all about as I didn't think my cadence was any faster than normal. And the moisture level was the same as the first bowl, which is to say not terribly moist.

Came back to it a month or so later and concentrated on slower puffing and all was well. Go figure!

Cheers,

RR
It may have been the black cavendish. I know a few people who get bit by BC if they don't smoke it slowly.

JimInks":gknjnm53 said:
Brewdude":gknjnm53 said:

Cheers,

RR
It may have been the black cavendish. I know a few people who get bit by BC if they don't smoke it slowly.

Could be Jim, could be. In retrospect I can't think of any blends I currently smoke that have BC.

Thanks for the observation. Forewarned is forearmed, they say!

Cheers,

RR

JimInks":a8sl1tvy said:
Dutch":a8sl1tvy said:

While you're doing that, buy some Match Barking Dog. Some time near the end of his smoking days, Foote was cutting EGR with one third Barking Dog. I know this because a friend of mine, who talked to Foote about this, used to get his mixture from the same shop Foote did. So you may want to try that, too.
Jim, thanks so much for the additional info. I will definitely plan on acquiring some of the Barking Dog as well.

Brewdude":x94hs1gb said:
JimInks":x94hs1gb said:
Brewdude":x94hs1gb said:

Cheers,

RR

Could be Jim, could be. In retrospect I can't think of any blends I currently smoke that have BC.

Thanks for the observation. Forewarned is forearmed, they say!

Cheers,

RR
Correction - I smoke PS Luxury Bullseye regularly and it has a core of pressed cavendish. And that has never even come close to biting me.

Perhaps just the combinations of different weeds plus the cav % in the EGR is what is the issue. In any case I'll always go slow on this one in the future. Like the taste/hate the bite.

Cheers,

RR

I get a bit of bite from EGR as well but going slow with it helps. I have also been smoking a fair bit of Count Pulaski as of late. It also has a bit of a bite to it. I wonder if they share a common leaf, or a leaf with a common treatment given they're both Sutliff blends. Smoked slow, Count Pulaski is also a very nice mixture, btw.