Escudo?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piet Binsbergen":0s4wy8dt said:
Still have elephant paths.................. bruins do I look stupid to you bru??????? :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
just not sure how much of our idiotic culture you get over there. (if you're lucky, hardly any) :D

bruins":sk3len6y said:
Piet Binsbergen":sk3len6y said:
Still have elephant paths.................. bruins do I look stupid to you bru??????? :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
just not sure how much of our idiotic culture you get over there. (if you're lucky, hardly any) :D
NAAAAHHHH bro, all of it!
When in South Africa, do like the Americans!
:cheers: :cheers:

Well my tin of Escudo arrived Thursday with my new Peterson. It is Stokkebyes. Opened it up and laid out a couple coins to dry. Today I decided to give it a try. Filled an old Grabow Crown Duke blue spade about 2/3rds full and fired up.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind with no notice but as of this first bowl i like it. Not too wimpy not too strong, a little sweet, spicy, interesting but not too complex. I will need to do more research on this..... puff...puff. 8)

Edited to add: It also burned very well clear to the bottom of the bowl with just a little tamping and no relights, a little rare for me as I'm new to the pipe and still refining technique.

pistolero":ad59y408 said:
Well my tin of Escudo arrived Thursday with my new Peterson. It is Stokkebyes. Opened it up and laid out a couple coins to dry. Today I decided to give it a try. Filled an old Grabow Crown Duke blue spade about 2/3rds full and fire d up.

Of course I reserve the right to change my mind with no notice but as of this first bowl i like it. Not too wimpy not too strong, a little sweet, spicy, interesting but not too complex. I will need to do more research on this..... puff...puff. 8)
Enjoy bro!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

This is another double post....sorry, but I just tried some Escudo at lunch and didn't really like it, I guess it was too much like a mild cigar/cigarette taste to me. So what would it be described as????? a Virginia, Burley, etc???? :?:

hobie1dog":b6vwxc7l said:
This is another double post....sorry, but I just tried some Escudo at lunch and didn't really like it, I guess it was too much like a mild cigar/cigarette taste to me. So what would it be described as????? a Virginia, Burley, etc???? :?:
no burley. it's a combination of Virginia and Perique.

bruins":kk8gfid4 said:
hobie1dog":kk8gfid4 said:
no burley. it's a combination of Virginia and Perique.

Wow, I also bought some C&D Mississippi Mud which say's it's a Perique based tobacco, and I loved it. :shock:

hobie1dog":4mo4wav4 said:
Vaper
Va=Virginia, Per= perique

That is good stuff hobie, give it some airtime!!!

I went to my local B&M and the guy told me it wasn't anything like it used to be back in the " good ole days" and that he wasn't suprised that I didn't like it. But we are still back to tobacco's being highly subjective from one person to the next...just like certain foods are to people...just the nature of the system we live with. :)

OK, so the next question for the experts.....why is it that I seem to dislike all the pipe tobacco's that are in "coins"? as they all seem to taste too much like raw tobacco to me. :eek:

Could be your packing method. Or shape of the pipe bowl. Try a smaller bowl. Or a shallow and wide bowl. Try rubbing it out completely. Sometimes you get that one right pipe that makes a blend sing. Then spring gets here with high humidity and ruins the moment till fall.

Piet Binsbergen":4yp1hqfc said:
hobie1dog":4yp1hqfc said:
Vaper
Va=Virginia, Per= perique

That is good stuff hobie, give it some airtime!!!
Well, I tried last night some McClelland Beacon Extra which is described also as a Va/Per blend and YOWZA :face: , I finally found out what the Perique is all about. Now it seems as if the Escudo has zero Perique in it by comparison. What gives, is it just my chemistry? :scratch:

hobie1dog":xuk35ajp said:
Well, I tried last night some McClelland Beacon Extra which is described also as a Va/Per blend and YOWZA :face: , I finally found out what the Perique is all about. Now it seems as if the Escudo has zero Perique in it by comparison. What gives, is it just my chemistry? :scratch:
i'm still not sure what perique tastes like, other than i'm told it's spicey. strange though, if i smoke a straight virginia (like union square) and then smoke escudo, the escudo seems more settled down, mellowed out, not as harsh. i don't know. all i know is that it's good stuff!

(i did have a really good smoke yesterday by folding a stokkebye bullseye medallion in half and then stuffing it down the chamber.)

Perique is better classified as being peppery Bruinzy,,,,,, Yum Yum, The best VAper in the world is McClelland 2015, unsurpassed yet!!!
Brilliant rich balance that classifies a good VAPER!!!!

Piet Binsbergen":itimb63k said:
Perique is better classified as being peppery Bruinzy,,,,,, Yum Yum, The best VAper in the world is McClelland 2015, unsurpassed yet!!!
crap! another one to add to the list...

bruins":3qbq1qu9 said:
Piet Binsbergen":3qbq1qu9 said:
crap! another one to add to the list...
You wont be sorry bro!!!!

Trying the Beacon Extra again finite now makes me think I'll go back and buy a tin of McClelland blending Perique so that I can spice up the Escudo quite a bit. I'll also may start a new thread on the Beacon Extra. Piet, have you tried it yet ? I guess that's a silly question to ask of the Grand Master,huh?