Expensive Men’s Cologne (Parfum, etc.)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Been looking at men’s “fragrances” recently. My my. It’s a whole new world. Found in a drug store (English Leather) or Designer level (Prada, Armani, Gucci) and the top tier (Tom Ford, Creed). I like Creed’s Green Irish Tweed. Now I know why dogs love to roll in meadow grass! $250 for 50 ml. 😵‍💫😳🙄

I bought Dior Sauvage because I liked the commercial with Johnny Depp, it had wolves in it that were surrounding him. After Old Spice, and Shea Moisture beard oil, it's the only fragrance I wear. It's nearly full after using it for over a year and a half.
1689229325965478140560097079794.jpg

I like Joop. I buy from a discount place. The large tester size bottles. A little Joop goes a long way.

I do try others. Sometimes something with leather and tobacco will catch my fancy.

Oh wow, just looked up some prices, glad I got a couple bottles of the Penhaligon's "back in the day". Those prices have gone up!

I used to be into some of the designer fragrances but I got over it. I finally bought a bottle of Old Spice at Walgreens and I think I still have about half of it left.

Stirling has some wonderful masculine scents. They're a shaving soap maker as a foundation, but they venture into aftershaves, aftershave balms, etc. I know them through their soaps and balms. I was sent a few testers a long time ago. The balm is fantastic. I thought it would just be a scented lotion and no big deal, but it has some healants and special oils in it that make it exceptional after a shave and leave you scented for a couple hours. A little dab goes a LONG way too, so they last a long time. I get unscented because perfumes activate my allergies, but before that was an issue, I found a couple I thought were nice. They have a whole line of things, so they might have traditional colognes as well. Executive Man and Stirling Gentleman are the two I have in mind. They'll strike your traditional scent ideas, but they are not cheap or common smelling at the same time. They make this interesting solid cologne that you carry in a tin in your pocket. I'm not sure how well it works, but this company doesn't generally mess around, so I would trust trying it.

https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/solid-cologne/products/executive-man-solid-cologne
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-soap/products/stirling-gentleman-shave-soap
https://www.stirlingsoap.com/collections/shave-soap/products/executive-man-shave-soap

I would also look at Barrister and Mann.

I second the creed. I like it’s scent but not the price. I do like the sauvage. I wear it often and have the cologne and aftershave. Aqua de gio is a great scent so is dark rebel. But my favorite of all time and been wearing since the high school is Ralph Larren Polo.

Aqua de Gio here for I think over 25 years. It didn’t seem to suffer in the market even from my claiming it as my signature.

This Sunday morning? Aaron Terrence Hughes OUD. Fun stuff. Now there’s a modern perspective.

I've used a few spritzs a week of Yves st. Laurent Por Homme for the last 12 years (on my second bottle).

It must have been getting boring because my wife got me 6 months of "scentbird" last Christmas. You fill out a "scent profile" and then you pick a different cologne each month, they send you about 6ml in a special spray bottle.

They had just about every cologne you could imagine but charged extra for the really high-end stuff. I couldn't find anything that came close to my usual, and some of them were really bad lol.