Fall weather, Autumn smokes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RobJ":bp8rysh2 said:
Historically I've tended to get into the Plum Cake in a big way when the weather starts to turn but I've been enjoying some new blends very much so that could change I suppose.

Here in the PNW fall is definitely on the way but I think we have a few more weeks before the serious rains start in earnest.

As in MacB's Plum Cake? I completely forgot about that...PC is actually the one truly "seasonal" tobacco for me. I open it sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving and dip into it throughout the winter holiday season.

I would say that it's getting close to rich Latakia time for me, but I am not feeling the love for the heavier blends so much as of late, and it's a shame as I am well stocked with them. I might be looking for some trades later on.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out my rotation for the cooler months and so far I think it will involve a combination of McConnell Scottish Flake, H&H Virginia Spice, GLP Embarcadero, Blackwoods Flake or Xmas Cheer & perhaps some Irish Flake for good measure.

Blackhorse's recommendation of Dark Flake Scented is an interesting one. I have been smoking it a couple times a week for a while now. If you enjoy scented Lakelands, it's a fantastic blend to explore. But boy does it pack a punch. Yowza's!

idbowman":y4hh6yju said:
As in MacB's Plum Cake?  I completely forgot about that...PC is actually the one truly "seasonal" tobacco for me.  I open it sometime between Halloween and Thanksgiving and dip into it throughout the winter holiday season.
Indeed that's the one. It was my first non drugstore pipe tobacco purchase ever, probably 1975 and I've enjoyed it ever since. I also bought my first non Grabow/no name pipe that day, a Knute Danish freehand which has been my favorite pipe over the years. Unfortunately I dropped it and the stem snapped off; I do need to get a new one made asap for the Holidays.

You could try this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-KC4Ek9CaRE" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Creative repair. I did something similar on a no name squatting bulldog a long time ago using a tiny piece of brass tubing from a pneumatic controller. I appreciate the suggestion.

The stem that snapped was a cheap replacement I put on in the late '90s and really wasn't nearly as nice as the original, also the break point isn't very clean. I've come to appreciate acrylic stems lately and think I'll have a proper one made up; this pipe deservers to have a nice stem given all the years it's served me.

I do like that you don't have to continually de-oxidize acryllic. This is especially important if you get one of those fancy stems with all the turning, since it makes them so hard to sand up properly.

RobJ":werdgx8w said:
Creative repair. I did something similar on a no name squatting bulldog a long time ago using a tiny piece of brass tubing from a pneumatic controller. I appreciate the suggestion.

The stem that snapped was a cheap replacement I put on in the late '90s and really wasn't nearly as nice as the original, also the break point isn't very clean. I've come to appreciate acrylic stems lately and think I'll have a proper one made up; this pipe deservers to have a nice stem given all the years it's served me.

Rob, I highly recommend Mike at Walker Briar Works. He recently repaired a broken stem on my beloved Ser Jacopo Per Aspera Poker and one can't even see the repair site! He also made a replacement stem with the same shape, all for a pittance. He'll see you right-

http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/

Cheers,

RR

My autumn smokes are Essence of Vermont as well as other burley based semi-aromatics such as those offered by Peretti and Uhle.

I also tend to get more into Balkan blends and I'll find myself ordering a tin of Chelsea Morning.

C&D Epiphany was wonderful this afternoon. I'm sure it'll feature a big spot in the 'rotation' this fall.

Don't really know if I have a seasonal rotation as such,

That said, I've been smoking more straight 'ginny flakes during the annual 2-month season of warm weather here in the Pac NW. At least for the first bowl of the day. Not sure if that's just my current preferences or due to any weather conditions.

Cheers,

RR

Fall? We hit 91 today. I'm loving the extra warm weather this year. The Pinot Noir will be fantastic thanks to the extra sun!

I don't think I pay much attention to the weather when I smoke. I just smoke what I have open. Fortunately, I have some of this and some of that open, so I'll be ready for what ever strikes my fancy. :)

Every smoke becomes better in the Fall for me, as I venture into the outdoors and become more contemplative in that season. For me there is nothing better than a walk, enjoying the beautiful colors of Fall, wearing a warm jacket, scarf and hat, and a great tasting pipe. Those days are just around the bend for me. Can't wait!

Hey Rande thanks for the stem repair tip. I'll follow up.

RJ

In late September and October, is usually the only time of year that I get the urge to smoke an aromatic. I guess it reminds me of those early college years when I smoked aromatics exclusively. At that time I didn't know that there was anything else. Smoked a bowl of Maple Street by Sutliff Private Stock last night and thoroughly enjoyed every puff. I think I will have another bowl tonight as a nightcap. I plan to smoke a bowl of Maple Street a day until my can is empty. Funny how blends bring back memories.

U-235":44ibbnnt said:
In late September and October, is usually the only time of year that I get the urge to smoke an aromatic.  I guess it reminds me of those early college years when I smoked aromatics exclusively.  At that time I didn't know that there was anything else.  Smoked a bowl of Maple Street by Sutliff Private Stock last night and thoroughly enjoyed every puff.  I think I will have another bowl tonight as a nightcap.  I plan to smoke a bowl of Maple Street a day until my can is empty.  Funny how blends bring back memories.
I'll have to try their Maple Street sometime. I buy Pipeworks & Wilkes: Vermont Maple and like it a lot.

Simple Man":kyx9ix1j said:
U-235":kyx9ix1j said:
In late September and October, is usually the only time of year that I get the urge to smoke an aromatic.  I guess it reminds me of those early college years when I smoked aromatics exclusively.  At that time I didn't know that there was anything else.  Smoked a bowl of Maple Street by Sutliff Private Stock last night and thoroughly enjoyed every puff.  I think I will have another bowl tonight as a nightcap.  I plan to smoke a bowl of Maple Street a day until my can is empty.  Funny how blends bring back memories.
I'll have to try their Maple Street sometime. I buy Pipeworks & Wilkes: Vermont Maple and like it a lot.
I really enjoy Maple flavoring - it compliments the Burley well. Most others flavorings don't appeal to me as much. I bought two 14 oz cans of Rum and Maple No. 53 by Lane that was buried below a pile of junk at an old tobacco store. I was excited to find the real McCoy, but I found that the Maple flavor was lacking - it is primarily a typical Burley & Bright drug store blend with a hint of flavoring. I was disappointed as far as the lack of maple flavoring, but it's still a good Burley blend. But Maple Street has a perfect amount of Maple to it. Not overly done like many other aromatics I have tried. It is a smooth smoke for an aromatic. Sutliff did a great job here.

Pipeworks & Wilke Vermont Maple sounds appealing and I will give it a try while I am on my current Maple kick. I tried their Royal Scot a few years back - a rather unique aromatic that I really enjoyed. If you are an aromatic smoker, I recommend you give that a try as well. For the most part, I don't smoke aromatics. There are only a handful that agrees with me: Peterson Sunset Breeze is an amaretto flavored blend that is very smooth; Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake is an excellent flake with tonquin; MacBaren Gold of Denmark is a honey-based blend that I enjoy also - but you have to sip on it or you will wake up the next morning with a scorched tongue. The other aromatics that I like were introduced to me not long ago. Gawith & Hoggarth has a spectacular array of Lakeland tobaccos if you are not already familiar with them. Grasmere is as good as it gets for an aromatic. The base tobaccos of Burley and Virgina are top notch. The added floral scent of roses and some other flowers is a very natural aroma which I can only describe as sublime. Well, that's the extend of my aromatics. I smoke Latakia blends most of the time.

If you like Maple aromatics, Maple Street is well done. At $15 for an 8 oz can, you can't be the price.

Dunhill Early Morning Pipe in the fall; the aroma reminds me of the far off scent of burning Oak leaves on cool fall nights when I lived in the Northeast. My guess is they don't let you burn your raked leaves anymore.

aadelma":dprckfzz said:
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe in the fall; the aroma reminds me of the far off scent of burning Oak leaves on cool fall nights when I lived in the Northeast.  My guess is they don't let you burn your raked leaves anymore.
Well, if you live in a small town in the middle of Potter county, PA. you can burn all the leaves you want.

aadelma":zdl0stc2 said:
Dunhill Early Morning Pipe in the fall; the aroma reminds me of the far off scent of burning Oak leaves on cool fall nights when I lived in the Northeast.  My guess is they don't let you burn your raked leaves anymore.
Burn them and you'll find out :lol: