Favorite American Pipe Maker...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Brissett makes a fine pipe, and not so over priced as others. I've got a Tinsky that is my #1 flake pipe. Hope to have a Brian Ruthenberg soon (as soon as he finishes it and sends it on to me!).

Natch

Natch":d7foll76 said:
Mike Brissett makes a fine pipe, and not so over priced as others. I've got a Tinsky that is my #1 flake pipe. Hope to have a Brian Ruthenberg soon (as soon as he finishes it and sends it on to me!).

Natch
Agreed Natch, I think Brian should never be overlooked!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Have no experience but the craftsmanship and finish are just brilliant!!

Top of my list would have to be Jack Howell, Just an amazing carver, I have two of his pipes, both Volkimo's

DSCN3326.jpg

I really like what Rad does with a pipe. His blasts are brilliant. I own one but could use a few more.

Piet Binsbergen":i0qiyb5a said:
Those are really nice bro, congrats!!!
Thanks P, I know I've posted pictures of those pipes before but I thought just in case some one missed them I'd post them again.
Jack is an amazing carver and a great guy and anyone considering an American pipe should definitely look him up.

Midnight Blues":qpv9atoy said:
Piet Binsbergen":qpv9atoy said:
Those are really nice bro, congrats!!!
Thanks P, I know I've posted pictures of those pipes before but I thought just in case some one missed them I'd post them again.
Jack is an amazing carver and a great guy and anyone considering an American pipe should definitely look him up.
Yea MB!
I recall seeing your post earlier this year!!!
that is still very nice eye candy even for the second time around!!!!
Brilliant.

Mudd, agreed on Rad's work. I unfortunately do not own one, nearly snagged on of Dock's but I was to late!
One Day is One Day!!

I'd have to agree with all who like Rad's work, I would love to add one of his pipes to my collection.
Here's one I wish I hadn't missed.

FH01552MainF.jpg

Cooke's sandblasts blow me away. Roush's rustications are really only second to older Italian finishes, which astound me to this day, though they might be considered their lowest lines of pipe. Aesthetics alone, those two get my vote. Too bad they're so highly priced.

I do think Rad Davis makes some beautiful pipes... alas they are out of reach for me pricewise (mostly in the $300 - $400 range).

For me Brisset's and JM Boswell hit the right combo of quality and affordability.

We are truly blessed to have so many great carvers in the US. I was talking with Brian McNulty of Anima pipes about the resourcefulness of American carvers. Since we don't have Heath trees growing in our backyards like the Europeans, our carvers don't always get the best pieces of briar. This is one reason the American blasting style has become so distinctive.

I LOVE sandblasted pipes and marvel at the work of guys like JT Cooke, Rad Davis, Brian Ruthenberg and Bruce Weaver.

To discuss my favorite American carvers would be to discuss them all; or at least the ones whose work I own.

In no particular order:

Rad Davis
Brian Ruthenberg
Mark Tinsky
Brian Mcnulty
Jeff Gracik
Will Purdy
David Jones
Tonni Nielsen

Each of these fine gentleman, without exception in my experience, not only carve beautiful looking pipes, but also excellent smoking pipes.

I hope to add pipe from Bruce Weaver, JT Cooke and Adam Davidson to my collection this year.

And yes, eventhough Tonni hails from the land of pipe gods, Denmark, he has been resident of my home state of Kentucky for several years so I think we can go ahead and claim him.

I also have it on good authority (from the man himself) that we can expect to add Rainer Barbi to the list soon as he will be moving to the states shortly:)