Favorite band/group/artists?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last CD I bought was Harry Connick Jr.... :heart: :heart:

.... that guy has talent

:D

Hermit":0kmbl2to said:
My favorites were the early albums
up through "Thick as a Brick."
"Benefit" is probably my favorite.
:cheers: :cheers:
Waiting for someone to mention that album! :cheers: :cheers:

Sonic Youth, Neil Young, The Pixies, Beatles, REM, Deftones, The Clash, Old Crow Medicine show, Nirvana.

LV9":q7znr81e said:
Sonic Youth, Neil Young, The Pixies, Beatles, REM, Deftones, The Clash, Old Crow Medicine show, Nirvana.
nice show LV9. i've got everything by sonic youth (and that's a lot) also deftones and pixies and all franks solo stuff.

Why, GWAR, of course. Music today has no restraint, and seems to have lost all melody.

With these guys those qualities aren't just present in every song, but made the centerpiece.

Here's a randomly chosen example:

(it was unnecessary to be choosy because everything they do is perfection)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtRANf42vTA

LL":295jsl08 said:
Why, GWAR, of course. Music today has no restraint, and seems to have lost all melody.

With these guys those qualities aren't just present in every song, but made the centerpiece.

Here's a randomly chosen example:

(it was unnecessary to be choosy because everything they do is perfection)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtRANf42vTA
Gosh LL didn't you know all the finest artist come from old Va
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwar
Truthfully I had never heard of them till now, I kind of like it. Kind of a mix of The Road Warrior Lord Humungus' Gang, characters from the Lord of the Rings and Motorhead all on steroids.
I particularly like the band members names. :affraid:

GWAR may have the melodies, but for real middle-of-the-road easy listening, you can't beat GG Allin.

He's like the John Dever of his generation (if John Denver were exhumed several years after the plane crash, and catapulted into the crowd.)

EJ and Doc, I'm glad to see there are others here who have taste and an appreciation for the subtler side of music.

GG was definitely a gentle philosopher/poet who, like Denver, traveled only sunny paths. What an uplifting presence. What insight. He is sorely missed.

LL":pqtu5g4o said:
EJ and Doc, I'm glad to see there are others here who have taste and an appreciation for the subtler side of music.
Heck, I've recently been getting into the Viking metal stuff (TYR for example), going back to my pagan roots I guess.
Many wouldn't consider it subtler though.

Okay the game is about over and Texas is winning so now I have to decide, Canned Heat, Berlin, Etta James or Richard Clayderman. You see, I'm quite versitile! ;)

John Denver and GG who? C'mon, gentlemen. How about Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top or George Thorogood--some tunes you can drink to.

Greenleaf":1gbi42g2 said:
How about Stevie Ray Vaughan, ZZ Top or George Thorogood--some tunes you can drink to.
Oh yeah! Good ones all.
I saw George Thorogood live during his Born to be Bad tour, late 80's I guess. Probably one of the best concerts I ever saw, George pretty much jammed hard the whole concert, breaking strings right & left, after he broke several the backup guitarist would jump in on lead while George took off his guitar and switched with another sitting on stage left (there were about three on racks waiting), he would start jamming again and an arm would reach from offstage, take the guitar back & restring it, a few minutes later the arm would reappear placing the guitar back restrung & tuned & ready to jam again.
I missed ZZ Top when they came through, I had just started a new job & couldnt get the night off (2nd shift).
Never got to see Stevie Ray before he passed :( but I love his music.

I'd just about give a lung to see Thorogood jam like that. Breaking strings constantly is why Stevie Ray used bass strings on his strats. Both of them were good singers besides, SRV is my favorite singer and totally underrated as a vocalist.

EJinVA":jawsppst said:
LL":jawsppst said:
Heck, I've recently been getting into the Viking metal stuff (TYR for example), going back to my pagan roots I guess.
Many wouldn't consider it subtler though.
Sarcasm never does translate well to print, does it? :lol:

(for the curious: find a GG Allin concert video and all will be explained)

Greenleaf":ce26pxd6 said:
Breaking strings constantly is why Stevie Ray used bass strings on his strats.
i think you meant bass frets, not bass stings. he installed bass frets on all his strats so he could get a shitload of sustain out of them. cool idea. for strings, he did use a low .058 and drop tune half a step. he was a little ahead of his time. all the metal guys are doing similar things now. stevie's the bomb.

Might take a few days to list em.... but I'll give it a go: Townes Van Zandt, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Bob Wills, Guy Clark, David Allan Coe, Steve Earle, Steve Goodman, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Otis Redding, Hank Williams Sr, Hank III, Emmylou Harris, Woody Guthrie, Leadbelly, Robert Johnson, Son House, Willie Brown, Charley Patton, Bob Dylan, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Justin Townes Earle, Lightnin' Hopkins, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, Charlie Daniels, Lyle Lovett, Arlo Guthrie, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Roger McGuinn, Bob Marley, Pink Floyd, Joe Cocker, Neil Young, The Band, The Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Joan Baez, Kris Kristofferson, John Denver...

That's it for the moment lol.. probably left out several..

Try Cat Mother and the all night news boys (1970) Stike a match and light another!

My favorite band is The Dubliners. I like a lot of Irish music.

The Who
Rush
Supertramp
Phish

These will probably always be in the rotation, though there are many thousands of musicians evoking pleasant emotions for us.