Favorite Bourbons?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still, on the balance, I like NC much better than my home of the last 33 years - NY, liquor regulations not withstanding.

-Andrew

I really have not tried any of the high end Bourbons. They are not in my budget
I am very content just sipping either Wild Turkey 101 or Maker's Mark.

WT 101 is a classic bourbon. Fortunately it is not high priced but many of the " high end" bourbons don't even come close to it. I have 15 to 20 bottles of bourbon opened at any one time in my house (another one of my "hobbies") and you can bet that one of them is always WT 101. WT Rare Breed is another. Both outstanding.

puros_bran":n0d7sgi0 said:
In retrospect scratch that Winslow... Bourbon is nasty compared to a good Rum.. And I don't mean that Capt Morgan or Malibu crap JP :D :D
I've heard of people sneaking Havana Club rum back from Windsor :pirat:

I've also heard it is excellent stuff :cheers:

That's what I've heard, anyway... :D

I revisted an old cheap favorite recently and man did I stumble onto a gold mine! I have been drinking Old Crow. We use to buy it becasue it was the cheapest with no real regard for the flavor but after drinking a couple of half gallons lately it has become my favorite. Like Tennessee Dave said it ain't got to be high end to be good. I really like this stuff and the price is a bonus at $14.95 per half gallon. Besides it is the original sour mash whiskey that Dr. James Crow brewed when he invented the sour mash process in 1825 at the Old Oscar Pepper Distillery. How much more Americana can you get than that?!

The last time I drank Old Crow whiskey was 1966,I was arrested and spent some
time in the brig for disrespect to a non commissioned officer and drunk on base. :x

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":xchvuf5j said:
The last time I drank Old Crow whiskey was 1966,I was arrested and spent some
time in the brig for disrespect to a non commissioned officer and drunk on base. :x

Maybe you need to revisit it now that you have matured and won't feel like you have to challenge the law. :D

I'm partial to Sailor Jerry's Rum (with Jim Beam as an old standby). I've wanted to try something new recently so I might go for the Old Crow or WT101 per the recommendations here.

EJinVA":sz8fpnad said:
I'm partial to Sailor Jerry's Rum (with Jim Beam as an old standby). I've wanted to try something new recently so I might go for the Old Crow or WT101 per the recommendations here.
Both are very good IMHO but Old Crow is much easier on the pocket book. I actually like it better than WT anway.

Well I tried the Old Crow, got a bottle for watching the election coverage :drunken: . I thought it was everybit as good as Jim Beam, and at $9.00 for a 750ml bottle, it's very affordable. I may have found a new bourbon.

EJinVA":hf2y2ol6 said:
Well I tried the Old Crow, got a bottle for watching the election coverage :drunken: . I thought it was everybit as good as Jim Beam, and at $9.00 for a 750ml bottle, it's very affordable. I may have found a new bourbon.
I told you. It is good stuff!

But Jim Beam has a square bottle that won't roll away from you when you
pass out in the easychair! :lol:

Old GrandDad
Evan Williams
Jim Beam Black
Wild Turkey 101
Buffalo Trace
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Ive had more costly booze but these are the ones I like best.

I purchased a bottle of Buffalo Trace when I was in NY a few weeks ago and I didn't much care for it. That didn't stop me from drinking the whole bottle though. :D

Winslow":om2ao0ti said:
But Jim Beam has a square bottle that won't roll away from you when you
pass out in the easychair! :lol:

:lol!:
:scratch: :drunken: :sleep:
:lol!:

Anyone want to give their list of bourbons to stay away from? It seems even the low rent bourbons are pretty good (based on what I am reading here). Are there any I should be sure to avoid, as I explore this new world?

-Andrew

Actually there isn't a bourbon that I don't like :lol!: But sometimes I enjoy Basil Hayden (the wimpy bourbon) or Bulleit. The Old Frontier Whisky. And the old fall back on bourbon is Jim Beam Green label. I feel a bit parched, must go pour a wee bit. :D :D

Got a bottle of WT101, very smooth. But double the cost of the Old Crow, I'm not sure it's worth it, The Old Crow is pretty smooth too, less Alcohol content though :pale: .

EJinVA":nso2rso0 said:
Got a bottle of WT101, very smooth. But double the cost of the Old Crow, I'm not sure it's worth it, The Old Crow is pretty smooth too, less Alcohol content though :pale: .
It is hard to find a cheaper alternative to WT with the same alcohol volume. Ezra Brooks comes close at 90 proof but not quite as smooth as Old Crow. Not bad though at $10.95 a fifth here.