Favorite Bourbons?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a pretty nice bonus this past friday so to celebrate I stopped off and picked up a bottle of Makers Mark, It seems many here are partial too it. It was good and smooth, but maybe it's just my deadened taste buds, it just didnt seem any better than any other higher end Bourbon, don't get me wrong it was good but I guess I just had the expectation of saying WOW! THIS IS GREAT! and it just didnt deliver that kind of reaction. Anyone out there suggest something that says WOW! THIS IS GREAT! something different than the ususal. Maybe I need to try a Scotch or something else alltogether?

I'm still a big fan of Maker's Mark, but as I try more good whisky, I've come to realize it's blended for smoothness rather than complexity. Consequently, they use a very low percentage of rye in their malt mixture. Good stuff, easy to sip, but not very interesting. Dollar for dollar, for me, Scotch and even Rye have more "WOW." (There must be a dust storm in my granfather's urn to hear me say that!)

I will say: Blanton's bourbon is wonderful and complex, but the price is a slap in the face--I've had exactly one bottle, given as a Christmas gift. Besides that, I don't know much... until recently, it was Beam on on the cheap, or Maker's when I was flush.

Give me a good rye anyday!

EJ, I have about a shot left of the WT Rye. I just can't seem to stay out of it! :D :lol: :drunken: What a treat!

Justpipes":qmmdtkhc said:
Give me a good rye anyday!

EJ, I have about a shot left of the WT Rye. I just can't seem to stay out of it! :D :lol: :drunken: What a treat!
I must say the WT rye is a bit more complex (flavorful?) than the Makers Mark. So far it's got my vote too.

Got a half gallon of Old Crow today and drinking some now. Pretty good! Alot like Jim Beam, which I really like, and a whole lot cheaper!

For an everyday Bourbon available to me: Woodford Reserve. Close second: Blanton's. Favorite overall: Pappy Van Winkle--but it's not distributed in my state.

I have several bottles of whiskeys open at any one time. I move back and forth. Usually, a couple of bourbons, a tennessee (Dickel), and a rye or two--right now Sazarec and Old Potrero. I have recently settled on Weller Antique as my "daily" sipper. Terrific taste at a reasonable price. I don't believe any of those Beam small batch blends are better--and they all cost more. For special occasions, I now use George Stagg--absolutely fantastic! It will knock your socks off--both with its terrific flavor and its power--141.8 proof. Parker's is another high-end that is a wonderful drink. I have a bottle--waiting for an occasion.

thedeep":uqzrs8ar said:
I have several bottles of whiskeys open at any one time. I move back and forth. Usually, a couple of bourbons, a tennessee (Dickel), and a rye or two--right now Sazarec and Old Potrero. I have recently settled on Weller Antique as my "daily" sipper. Terrific taste at a reasonable price. I don't believe any of those Beam small batch blends are better--and they all cost more. For special occasions, I now use George Stagg--absolutely fantastic! It will knock your socks off--both with its terrific flavor and its power--141.8 proof. Parker's is another high-end that is a wonderful drink. I have a bottle--waiting for an occasion.
I'm going to Deep's house for New Year's!!! :shock: :D

:lol!:

A couple bowls and a few glasses of Old Crow tonight. Happy New Year folks! :pipe: :drunken:

I just saw this thread...Interesting choices have been mentioned. But i have to say I really do like Jack Daniel. And, I'm just finishing up a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 (the neat thing was it came in a special gift pack with two glasses!)

I also enjoy Makers Mark, but again...JD is my first choice.

I saw mention on here of Wild Turkey rye...I saw some in the store, and having never drunk a rye whiskey, I almost bought it. But since I wasn't sure if I'd like it, I opted for the 101 (and the glasses!)

Mike

gospelman":tged1jno said:
I saw mention on here of Wild Turkey rye...I saw some in the store, and having never drunk a rye whiskey, I almost bought it. But since I wasn't sure if I'd like it, I opted for the 101 (and the glasses!)

Mike
You should have opted for the WT Rye! Wish I could get it here!

Went by the local communist run ABC store today to pick up a half gal. of Old Crow and they had lowered the price of Old Charter by $2 so for a change of pace I picked up a half gal. of that instead.

It's about time for another ABC store run as I've finished off the WT Rye, the Makers Mark and am down to half a bottle of Old Crow. I might have to try a Scotch this time; any suggestions for a basic grade one?

Blended Scotch.....Dewars, Famous Grouse, Grant's (my fav), Pinch. I prefer these with a splash of soda (ice optional!)

Single Malts.....The Macallan (Original, not the Fine Oak version), Aberlour, Glendronach, Craggenmore (excellent before dinner), The Balvenie (especially the 12 year Doublewood), and Longmorn.

Not sure what's in your ABC store, but the above are few of the ones I enjoy! FTRPLT

Hey EJ! How about a jug of that Blue Ridge brandy that Bob Childress use to drink?! :D

Justpipes":9mwzu3zb said:
Hey EJ! How about a jug of that Blue Ridge brandy that Bob Childress use to drink?! :D
Ohhh Yeahhh! :D
Problem is, I don't think anybody around here makes it anymore :( .
They all went to growing pot through the 80's & 90's and now their into meth labs.
There might be a bit still coming out of Franklin County, Va aka "The Moonshine Capital Of The World." :flower:

Dooowwwnnn tha road from me thar's ah old holler tree........where ya throw down ah dollar or two! Go around tha bend and ya come back again for some good ole mountain dewhewww.....................

When we go to the Fiddler's Convention in August over in Galax there's some fellows that we play music with that always have some blackberry brandy. That is some mighty fine stuff!

I went to the ABC store the other day to pick up some Scotch, but then I saw this and had an AAD attack and had to have it. As you can see it's Old Forester Whiskey in a special 75th Aniversary of the Prohibition Repeal set; came with a special glass, a scroll with a copy of the 21st Amendment and the whisky in a specially labeled bottle. It is very smooth.