Favorite Vapers

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has mentioned the elusive Kingfisher. That would have to be my favorite, followed by SJF & Sunday Picnic.

Question for all the McClelland 2015 smokers:

Just how much of the "ketchup/vinegar" essence is present in this blend? I have been wanting to try it for a while but I have tried several of their offerings (including St. James Woods, Beacon, and a few others) and have not been able to "get" them because the VA leaf is too... Sour? Soggy? Whatever it is they do to it doesn't seem to work for me I've smoked those blends at various moisture levels and really there was no huge difference. I will probably order an oz. with my next tobacco purchase to see for myself but just thought I'd ask.

2015er here. I'm not sure I can help with the question. I know of the ketchup smell, but it doesn't seem to bother/affect me like it does a lot of people. I use a lot of vinegars in my cooking and salads, so it isn't a flavor or accent I mind. I kind of don't notice it so much anymore. I smoke 2015 and 2035 a lot. 2035 has more of that signature McClelland smell, but I don't taste it. Citrus and sweet pure tobacco flavors. With the 2015, I get chocolates, honey, and hay flavors. Honestly, I might like 2015 more when it is young than after it has begun to mature. The hay flavor dissipates, and that is a subtle nuance I can miss quite a bit.

Zeno Marx":tbdd3l9t said:
2015er here. I'm not sure I can help with the question. I know of the ketchup smell, but it doesn't seem to bother/affect me like it does a lot of people. I use a lot of vinegars in my cooking and salads, so it isn't a flavor or accent I mind. I kind of don't notice it so much anymore. I smoke 2015 and 2035 a lot. 2035 has more of that signature McClelland smell, but I don't taste it. Citrus and sweet pure tobacco flavors. With the 2015, I get chocolates, honey, and hay flavors. Honestly, I might like 2015 more when it is young than after it has begun to mature. The hay flavor dissipates, and that is a subtle nuance I can miss quite a bit.
I should have included that I also found the blends I have tried to be a bit fussy in terms of staying lit. Maybe I'm pushing too hard and thus the bowl ends up with more of the "sour" (for lack of a more accurate term) flavor. I'm trying to like their blends because so many of my pipe smoking friends that share my tastes enjoy them. Oh well. I'm still going to give 2015 a shot. Thanks for your reply Zeno Marx

2015 and 2035 can both be a bit too moist when new. I like to dry mine out a little, but not too much. Maybe as little as 5% less humidity. I have no gauge, so it is strictly by feel. I was going to say I don't find these two blends finicky, but then as I started writing this, I realized the moisture content might indeed be quasi-science. I'd rather have it on the "wet" side than on the dry side of a balance. I feel I lose those chocolatee flavors in 2015 when it is on the dry. I lose the citrus flavors of 2035 when it is too dry. I speak of the tiniest of margins, but I also don't have too much of a difficult time maintaining that moisture. Some tobaccos seem to want to dry out, but these are not of that tendency.

I used to fully rub them out, but as of late, I rub a flake between my fingers 2-3 times and leave it in flake parts. I consistently go through a complete bowl with two lights; a toasting top light, a tamp, and then a second, final light. A tamp here and there thereafter.

I'm not really one to fight a tobacco. I'll work with it. I'll experiment, but I'm not going to argue with it for very long. I feel these tobaccos offer sweet rewards, but I can't say they're worth the struggle time and time again. I'm not sure any tobacco is worth it. Too many options out there that don't require the wrestling.

Zeno Marx":d24n63sz said:

I'm not really one to fight a tobacco. I'll work with it. I'll experiment, but I'm not going to argue with it for very long. I feel these tobaccos offer sweet rewards, but I can't say they're worth the struggle time and time again. I'm not sure any tobacco is worth it. Too many options out there that don't require the wrestling.
Exactly. That's exactly why I gave up on St. James Woods and Beacon (among others). I am hoping 2015 will be "easier" for me to bond with though. Mostly because I want to have another bulk VAper that I can buy and enjoy immediately while other tinned blends are in the cellar aging.

I will say that even when a certain blend doesn't work out, I still have fun trying! And other pipe smoking friends have inherited partially smoked tins that had some decent age on them.

Anyone interested in a little less than 2 oz. of some Beacon dated I believe '08? I'd be willing to gift or swap :)

Still can't believe the lack of love that Sherlock Homes VR Blend is getting in this thread. You VaPer heads don't know what you're missing! :eek:

-Scott

s.ireland":s6i5pitc said:
Question for all the McClelland 2015 smokers:

Just how much of the "ketchup/vinegar" essence is present in this blend? I have been wanting to try it for a while but I have tried several of their offerings (including St. James Woods, Beacon, and a few others) and have not been able to "get" them because the VA leaf is too... Sour? Soggy? Whatever it is they do to it doesn't seem to work for me I've smoked those blends at various moisture levels and really there was no huge difference. I will probably order an oz. with my next tobacco purchase to see for myself but just thought I'd ask.
Pretty much ALL of it has the Eau du McClelland.

I recently got some Butera's Blended Flake from the Royal Vintage series. It´s made by McClelland and has the same essence as all the others. Doesn´t matter what it is, I´m still smoking McClelland...LOL.

Really drying out the 2015, Beacon, et al, helps dissipate that quality....

MisterE":d1xrdned said:
Pretty much ALL of it has the Eau du McClelland.

I recently got some Butera's Blended Flake from the Royal Vintage series. It´s made by McClelland and has the same essence as all the others. Doesn´t matter what it is, I´m still smoking McClelland...LOL.

Really drying out the 2015, Beacon, et al, helps dissipate that quality....
I have tried drying it quite a bit. I think I'll rub it out a bit before I dry it because drying out then rubbing=crumbly tobacco and dust

I still intend to try some 2015 but if that to is a no go for me then there are many other blending houses out there!

I agree with Scott on the SHPC VR Blend. As good as it gets.

Other worthy offerings.

1. C&D - Poplar Camp - never discussed but it is very tasty stuff indeed.
2. Home & Hearth AJ's VaPer
3. Home & Hearth Louisiana Red
4. Home & Hearth Rolando's Own

Zeno Marx":dcs3257h said:
SailorJack":dcs3257h said:
I agree with Scott on the SHPC VR Blend. As good as it gets.
Pricey stuff.
I agree with you that it is quite pricey, but worth it for me. Of course, I don't smoke VaPers exclusively, so a pound of VR Blend will last me a lot longer than the guy who puffs on it all day long. If VaPers were indeed my go-to smoke, I would probably seek out one of the fine VaPer offerings from Stokkybye. For now even at 50 bucks a pound, I enjoy it enough to justify the cost and with the cost of other tobaccos being what they are per pound, it isn't really too bad of a deal anyhow.

-Scott