Fear of heights?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That first vid looks like photoshopping to me. Why doesn't the wing suit show flapping or otherwise movement in the air currents?!

:?:

In any case it's some great footage (all of it).

Cheers,

RR

Can you imagine getting to the top of that tower and realizing you forgot (or dropped...) an item you need? Or am I the only one with the occasional dropsies?

I would think that any tools required up there would have to be attached to a lanyard of some kind. A wrench falling from that high would certainly cause serious injury to whatever it hit.

As to the fear of heights, I wasn't bothered by it when I was younger but after building my dad's house from the ground up (2 story on the edge of a steep drop off) I just can't stomach it any more. Roofing that place was way more than I could take lol.

Jim

I hope they are magnetic tools. I always drop something at the last minute. Then have to scramble to find it.

Fazby":15dmupip said:
Can you imagine getting to the top of that tower and realizing you forgot (or dropped...) an item you need?  Or am I the only one with the occasional dropsies?
Yea, I'd drop a mega-load in my pants if I was up there!

Natch

Stick":3brvtzuz said:
Ooh sweaty palms!

I recommended this in the films thread so here's the trailer. And yes, as seen in the last few shots in this trailer, he is climbing El Cap with no rope:

https://youtu.be/S4F3JK7oHn0

Finally watched it just last night. Have to say that the free climbing sequence at the end had me white knuckling my recliner and almost looking away. It was like being horrified at the belief that any moment he'd go plunging to his death.

The sequence of him traversing that difficult bit (I forget the name they gave it) where he performed the karate kick almost made me stop breathing. Earlier in the movie they showed him trying it with several different techniques and failing, but he was roped in at that point. So yes, he certainly did practice his moves on several climbs while being roped and knew how to proceed. Just precisely how he could possible remember all the intricate moves is beyond me though.

Frankly anyone who tries that as a free climb is bonkers and eventually will make just that one final mistake. Best he quits now while he's ahead but that does not seem likely.

Be that as it may, that accomplishment is unprecedented and now no doubt someone else will attempt it with possibly a different outcome. That's the problem, someone will just have to try and best him somehow.

All the lead up footage was interesting and gave a degree of background to the story. The segment on his brain scan was curious and interesting. Not sure I took that all in.

I took no issues with the dramatic footage, such as his girl and mother. Part of life. <shrug>

It certainly held my interest and glad I saw it. Didn't look at the special features though as I returned it to the library.

Cheers,

RR

Yes and no re fear of heights. No...I’m not “afraid of heights”. Yes I have a normally sane and prudent fear of being in a high place with the likelihood of falling and making a large crunchy wet spot.

Brewdude":7mn30cpf said:
Stick":7mn30cpf said:
Ooh sweaty palms!

I recommended this in the films thread so here's the trailer. And yes, as seen in the last few shots in this trailer, he is climbing El Cap with no rope:

Finally watched it just last night. Have to say that the free climbing sequence at the end had me white knuckling my recliner and almost looking away. It was like being horrified at the belief that any moment he'd go plunging to his death.

The sequence of him traversing that difficult bit (I forget the name they gave it) where he performed the karate kick almost made me stop breathing. Earlier in the movie they showed him trying it with several different techniques and failing, but he was roped in at that point. So yes, he certainly did practice his moves on several climbs while being roped and knew how to proceed. Just precisely how he could possible remember all the intricate moves is beyond me though.

Frankly anyone who tries that as a free climb is bonkers and eventually will make just that one final mistake. Best he quits now while he's ahead but that does not seem likely.

Be that as it may, that accomplishment is unprecedented and now no doubt someone else will attempt it with possibly a different outcome. That's the problem, someone will just have to try and best him somehow.

All the lead up footage was interesting and gave a degree of background to the story. The segment on his brain scan was curious and interesting. Not sure I took that all in.

I took no issues with the dramatic footage, such as his girl and mother. Part of life. <shrug>

It certainly held my interest and glad I saw it. Didn't look at the special features though as I returned it to the library.

Cheers,

RR
Glad you finally caught up with it Rande. Compelling viewing eh?

The hardest part, the crux, was indeed called the karate kick. I think his ability to remember the many moves reveals part of the way he thinks. Many elements of the film hint at him being on the autistic spectrum; difficulty sharing and reading emotion, and of course his detailed memory.

I've no doubt others will try to emulate his feat. Just like other sports, some will no doubt succeed and others will fail, not that Honnold should take responsibility for the failures. And of course, in years to come, others will surpass this achievement. El Cap was first climbed in '58 by Warren Harding. It took him and his team weeks of yo-yo-ing and down to finally get to the top. Honnold is just another chapter in the continuing book of Yosemite's climbing evolution.

Pip pip,

Stick

Stick":rwnsrhtk said:
Brewdude":rwnsrhtk said:
Stick":rwnsrhtk said:
Ooh sweaty palms!

Cheers,

RR
Glad you finally caught up with it Rande.  Compelling viewing eh?

The hardest part, the crux, was indeed called the karate kick.  I think his ability to remember the many moves reveals part of the way he thinks.  Many elements of the film hint at him being on the autistic spectrum; difficulty sharing and reading emotion, and of course his detailed memory.

I've no doubt others will try to emulate his feat.  Just like other sports, some will no doubt succeed and others will fail, not that Honnold should take responsibility for the failures.  And of course, in years to come, others will surpass this achievement.  El Cap was first climbed in '58 by Warren Harding.  It took him and his team weeks of yo-yo-ing and down to finally get to the top.  Honnold is just another chapter in the continuing book of Yosemite's climbing evolution.

Pip pip,

Stick

Mate, your observations are spot on IMHO. Compelling viewing doesn't even half cover the experience!

On the one hand I'm cheering for the victor, and on the other I'm anxious for the follower. Nomesane?

Cheers,

RR