Fifth Annual Spring Forward Box Pass

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy buckets, I get sick for a week, and this thread just goes off!

Nice add's so far, I can't wait to try some of those samples out.

I am getting excited!!!! Not much longer and the box will be getting smoked!!!! :D :D

J_Rock":3jhl34fx said:
Not much longer and the box will be getting smoked!!!! :D :D
I suggest trying the tobacco in the box first and saving the actual box for when you get desperate :lol:

Very good play PD and nice of your brother to offer to replace the tin that the seal was broken on!

Tin Man, thanks for the offer. I would just mark the open tin as sample. It seems like there is plenty of trading material in Bab's already thanks to TJ and Puff Daddy.

Great pass Puff Daddy.

Wow, it seems like I just sent the boxes off and they are already at their second and third stops.

Babs landed on the front porch this afternoon. I already decided to take the day off from the bathroom remodel so now I have something to occupy the rest of the day. Looking forward to the many samplings.

tin man here, reporting in for duty :D

Well, :afro: graciously delivered the goods today. He hand carried BABs through wind and rain, driving for what must have seemed like an entire ten minutes to get to the house of tin. What service! :roll:

Last November, we were fortunate enough to sample a bowl of Greg's Maduro Cut Cake at the Merced show. We have been anticipating its arrival ever since. So for today's visit, we went into the garage and enjoyed our second bowl of Maduro Cut Cake. I loaded my Ashton Old Church XX (the same pipe I smoked the MCC the first time) and we smoked and talked for an hour or so. I had fun and the blend was just like I remembered it. I will be stocking up as soon as it becomes available.

Even though I have smoked quite a few of the blends in this box, there's still a lot of blends here for me to discover. I'm goin' in for round two, later today . . . . . :pipe:

Maltese Falcon . . . . . . Wow! What a special treat that was.

So smooth and warm, and so comforting. I don't know if it's OK to use the word "comfort" to describe pipe tobacco, but that's what it was for me. It made me feel really mellow, yet I did not get a nicotine buzz. The flavors were complex, and also as one. When I finished the bowl, my palate felt neutral, almost cleansed. How the hell did that happen?

I'm really glad that I waited for the box pass to try this one. I'm going to try to put it behind me for now because there's a lot more to sample.

:pipe:

Maltese Falcon was my first sample from the box. Quite enjoyable.

Now which to sample next? :scratch:

It is back to work tomorow (at least work I'm getting paid for). I will have all day to decide.

mdmiller5":e597nlt7 said:
Just a reminder to everybody. Don't rush, you can keep the box for six days. Sit back, relax and enjoy the sampling.
Thanks Mike! :D

Just dont keep it a seventh day, Mike will get the Arizona Rangers after ya.

:affraid: Pretty nasty guys, and from what I hear they haul ya back to Sheriff Joe's place if your unfortunate enough to live through the ordeal :affraid:

:twisted: :twisted: :shock: :twisted: :twisted:

puros_bran":vnbt4b50 said:

:affraid: Pretty nasty guys, and from what I hear they haul ya back to Sheriff Joe's place if your unfortunate enough to live through the ordeal :affraid:

Sheriff Joe is the Man! (no pun intended)

puros_bran":rhkafwtu said:

The worst part is that he makes you wear pink underware and sleep in a tent. :affraid:

mdmiller5":750vvq3j said:
Just a reminder to everybody. Don't rush, you can keep the box for six days. Sit back, relax and enjoy the sampling.
I think I'll take you up on that Mike. Thanks for the reminder.

Well, I'm out in the man cave right now, staring at the fish tank and listening to BoB Brinker on the AM. Puffing on a bowl of Broken Scotch Cake after a late lunch. This is a very nice blend. It's mild but so bright and cheerful. This one could become a staple for me.

:sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: on an otherwise cloudy day.

Ok, I am currently about three quarters of the way through a bowl of Maduro Cut Cake. This is a good smoke! very creamy! I am looking forward to the release date on this one.

I have also sampled the Edgworth. Do I detect a slight licorice flavor?

I regret that the bathroom project has been put on hold. Oh well the bathroom will still be there, I only have three more days with Babs.

jeepernick":a18a5pwq said:
I have also sampled the Edgworth. Do I detect a slight licorice flavor?
Jeeper,

To my knowledge no one knows what the casing is on Edgeworth. Here is an excerpt from my review of Edgeworth that addresses your question though it doesn't necessarily answer it.

"I have read several descriptions of Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed in various reviews with everything from being Burley and Virginia to being topped with fruit, chocolate and rum. I am going to list the description as it is written on the current 14 oz. tin.

Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed is made of the finest Kentucky and Tennessee White Burley tobaccos, carefully selected and aged to give the coolest smoke possible. To these tobaccos, the master blender adds precise ingredients that have remained secret even today, to give Edgeworth its incomparable taste and aroma."

Here is another excerpt from my review where I describe the flavor that I get from Edgeworth.

"To my surprise this blend is very 3 dimensional in that the first 1/3 of the bowl I was met with a nice bold spicey flavor that I can't quite put my finger on but very good to say the least with no bite what so ever. The spiciness begins to mellow out to the point of almost being bland as if to take a break when all of a sudden you are introduced to a wonderful cocoa flavor that comes out of no where. Towards the last 1/3 of the bowl the cocoa gives way to that fabulous creamy, buttery flavor of fine Burley that burns to a light gray ash down to the bottom of the bowl. This leaves you with a very nice clean and natural tobacco flavor on your tongue that stays with you for just a little while as it should."

I don't know if your flavor experience was similar but that is what I happen to get out of Edgeworth. The spicey flavor that I experience could almost be described as fruity also. The subtle cocoa or chocolate flavor is definitely there.

Mark