Flu shots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't had a flu shot since 1993. Since then, I've had the flu maybe 5 times.

Prior to that in the Military, the flu vaccine was "pushed" on me for ten years. Every year I received the vaccine, I got ill. Was it the flu? Not as bad. But, I was ill every year for 10 years.

I'll take my chances.

GeoffC":hkh3t6sf said:
Well this article is timely but to each his own.   We live in America and still free do what we want to do . . .

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/flu-shot-myths-wait-cold-weather-vaccine/story?id=58315168

The only thing I don’t agree with (and it’s a shame they never asked me) is grocery stores, drug stores, etc. giving the injections.  Like with every injection there’s always a minute chance of an anaphylactic reaction. If that were to happen I’d want a real medical staff close by.

Never had one pushed on me when I was in the RAF but now I'm in the NHS I'm 'encouraged' each year.

Had mine last week. :drunken:

My oldest just turned 34 last week. The last time I had the flu, my wife was expecting her. We were both knocked down for two miserable weeks (well, she has a rougher time than I did...). I've gotten the shot every year since. I panicked in these years when it was in short supply.

Lets keep a tally of those who got a flu shot and those who did not and whether or not they got the flu.
If you sail thru the flu season and wind up in spring no worse for wear then let us know if you got a flu shot.
If you suffered with the flu, which we can define as swearing off or trying to swear off smoking, then let us know if you got a flu shot.
While these efforts may seem insignificant I am sure they will be valuable in the future.

I'm hunkered down in my hobbit hole. The Mrs has the flu! So far I'm still scheduled to get mine on the 16th. If I get the flu I'm screwed.....no chemo infusion until I'm better. With my track record that could be anything from 3 weeks to 4 months.

Jim

I have this to say about that-

Used to get the flu every couple years. Worst one was when I was in my late 20's, and it was the dreaded strain of that year (swine?). Suffice to say it put me down for a full week, and I prolly should have gone into the ER. It was that bad. But being young and stupid I didn't.

I'll spare you the details. Suffice to say that if I got anywhere that same kind today it would be the end of me. Thus I get a flu shot every year no matter what the percentage of protection is.

Cheers,

RR

And WASH YOUR HANDS especially when out and about...touching things that other humans touch.  It’s a critical thing to do.  Carry hand sanitizer stuff in your jacket pocket. Experts rate this as number one to prevent getting the bug.

I got mine last week. And my pneumonia shot last month. I’ve been getting a flu shot for the last 5 or so years. Haven’t gotten sick yet but not sure if it’s from the shot or just being lucky

Bub":nn1hrls5 said:
Lets keep a tally of those who got a flu shot and those who did not and whether or not they got the flu.
If you sail thru the flu season and wind up in spring no worse for wear then let us know if you got a flu shot.
If you suffered with the flu, which we can define as swearing off or trying to swear off smoking,  then let us know if you got a flu shot.
While these efforts may seem insignificant I am sure they will be valuable in the future.
Please re-read my post.

You still count hobie1dog.
So much better if you don't get the flu this year.

Since my wife works in the insurance field, this is my favorite quote re flu.  It’s at the bottom.

————————

From an article on Flu Myths:

Myth #10: I never get the flu so I don’t need to be vaccinated

Just because you’ve been fortunate in the past doesn’t mean you’ll be so this year. As health author Tara Haelle puts it, “Millions of people have never gotten into car accidents. They still wear seat belts and carry insurance.”

I finally got my flu shot yesterday. She poked it in my tattoo(my upper arm)!  I asked her why she poked it there and she answered..."Why, you got another tattoo you want me to poke it into?" :roll:   I didn't reply! :lol:

Corncobcon":hil0nl58 said:
I finally got my flu shot yesterday. She poked it in my tattoo(my upper arm)!  I asked her why she poked it there and she answered..."Why, you got another tattoo you want me to poke it into?" :roll:   I didn't reply! :lol:

I like her.

Got mine Wednesday. Didn't want it, but I'm scheduled for another surgery next week, and the doctor wanted me not to get sick.

Wednesday night was fine.
Thursday morning felt like I was dragged behind a stage coach.
Yesterday I had trouble walking, so spent the day getting around with a walker.
Today I think I have the flu..... My hair hurts.