Flu shots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zanaspus":20a96ilr said:
I got a shot and then I got the flu.  They didn't give me my money back for the shot. :x
So the way i understand it is, there is multiple strains of the flu virus out and about. When they put out the vaccines for the season they try to predict which strain will be most prevalent and send out that vaccine. Plus the flu virus is always mutating making it harder for the vaccines to work. Keep in mind im not a doctor or anuthing ao can be way off :lol!:

Well apparently it isn't the flu. Got this message from the doc . . .

"Typically the flu does not cause primarily gi symptoms.
(usually upper respiratory/runny nose/congestion/muscle aches/fatigue/headache/cough/etc).
There are many other viruses and bacteria than cause a gastroenteritis ( which is what you appear to have)"

GeoffC":uktmk1cz said:
So chatted with my niece last night and she said you need to get a flu shot this season.  It is going to be a bad one.  She has been monitoring the flu season in Australia and it has been particularly bad with a lot of deaths.   She said the point of the flu shot is not to prevent you from getting the flu but prevent you from dying from the flu
BTW, she work for John Hopkins and studies viruses
I took your advice to heart Geoff and got my annual flu shot today. Normally I get it a bit later in the year but what you posted gave me pause. Got the dose for those 65 and over.

Also finally got the first in a series of two Shingles vaccines. The pharmacy had been OOS for like 6 months. I'll get the second in the series later this year.

I did have the original single Shingles injection when I turned 60 but this is supposed to be an improved version. And being that I've had Chicken Pox as a kid, the virus has been lying dormant inside me for all these years. And from what I've read about those who came down with Shingles it doesn't bear imagining.

:no:

Cheers,

RR

I always get mine in October. I got a really bad case of the flu in 2010. After I was all better I got my first flu shot. I got one every year since. Had the flu about 2 years ago and that has been it.

All I can tell anyone is that I came down with the swine flu back in the 70's when I was in my 20's. I'll spare you the details. Suffice to say that I very well should have been hospitalized. If the same happened to me now I'd be toes up.

'nuff said.

Cheers,

RR

Got mine yesterday; teaching students at any level is always a germ-fest!

Got no problems with flu shots. They're absolutely a worthwhile gamble. I've read some absurd conspiracy theories why they're pushed so hard these days. Some people don't understand science and think their experience is the be-all tell for everyone else.

WASH YOUR HANDS folks. Before anything gets close to your mouth, wash yer darn hands (and go watch a video how to do it while yer at it). We can't avoid all sickness, but I bet an awful lot of bugs could be avoided with some hand washing. I'm sort of amazed with our immune systems. I know plenty of people who only wash their hands when they take showers, and when they do bother, they wash them for all of 12 seconds. "I'm not stupid. I know how to wash my hands. I'm 70 years old." "I don't know if you're stupid or not, but I do know you have no idea how to wash your hands."

Oh, and sneeze into your elbow, not into your hand. You aren't going to subsequently touch every public thing in the house with your elbow.

My wife would sneeze into her hands.
It was hard, but I managed to break her of that habit.
You can't "catch" a sneeze; the best you can do is aim it in a safe direction.
I often sneeze in series. Usually between five and seven times.
My father had that, too. I rather enjoy it. ;)

Got my flu shot Tuesday. I’ve gotten it for the last several years since they have offered them at work for free.

I got mine today also.
My usual place was out of the senior flu shot but hoped to have them next week.
Fortunately I found an urgent care place near by that had some.