Flu shots

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozark Wizard":8vziwkwk said:
Got mine Wednesday. Didn't want it, but I'm scheduled for another surgery next week, and the doctor wanted me not to get sick.

Wednesday night was fine.
Thursday morning felt like I was dragged behind a stage coach.
Yesterday I had trouble walking, so spent the day getting around with a walker.
Today I think I have the flu..... My hair hurts.

I liked this one so much I read it to my wife. I laughed so hard I blew a piece of licorice out of my nose.

Just think how you’d feel if you actually got the flu!

Got mine yesterday! Never felt a "stick" or a sting!!! My new Shingles shot is on order; should get the first one next week. Not my year for a pneumonia shot. Stay healthy, my friends!! :cheers: FTRPLT

Got mine today, always get one.  Blackhorse's points were well presented, especially #4.  My wife is in charge of making sure that all 4,000+ employees at a regional Hospital get theirs, so I could not avoid it even if I wanted to (which I don't).  She has been in charge of the annual flu shot program for many years, it takes up about one-quarter of her annual workload, so she's quite an expert on this topic.  

While there are some medical conditions that would preclude getting the shot, I think many of the excuses are pretty bogus.  Perhaps it's just me, but I would think that if you worked at a major hospital, many patients with severely reduced immune systems or abilities to handle another infection, it should be expected.  There are some that do not believe the hundreds of refereed and vetted medical studies over decades, but rather follow what their cousin told them, or what an actress said about how it causes just about every malady we see on earth today.

By the by, it's a quadrivalent again this year (it used to be a trivalent, but for the past couple years it has been designed to protect against the four strains that were the major ones in the southern hemisphere over their past winter.  Last year, one of the strains being grown for the shot mutated in the process, so it wasn't as protective for that strain as originally predicted.  Still, even if a strain the shot wasn't created to cover pops up in the northern hemisphere, it still offers some protection and helps speed the recovery.

Ozark Wizard, it seems to be a very personal thing as to whether one gets a sore arm and mild flu-like symptoms from getting the shot or not.  She always feels it for a few days and her arm aches for a week.  I never get any reaction.  

Natch

I don't recall ever feeling yucky after a flu shot like this was. Maybe a sore spot on the arm. I figured it was something lurking in me that set off the reaction. My doctor agreed. He laughed about it too Blackhorse!

Ozark Wizard":doskhmxm said:
I don't recall ever feeling yucky after a flu shot like this was. Maybe a sore spot on the arm. I figured it was something lurking in me that set off the reaction. My doctor agreed. He laughed about it too Blackhorse!
—————————

Your comment quoted below is what we were laughing about. You know you’re in trouble when your hair hurts.

“Thursday morning felt like I was dragged behind a stage coach.
Yesterday I had trouble walking, so spent the day getting around with a walker. Today I think I have the flu..... My hair hurts.”

Flu shot and early voting secured today. Said two weeks before the vaccine will have any effect. Likely if your hair stands on end after getting the shot you were already coming down with the flu . . . :)

GeoffC":wd6rzl8b said:
Flu shot and early voting secured today.  Said two weeks before the vaccine will have any effect.   Likely if your hair stands on end after getting the shot you were already coming down with the flu . . . :)

Yeah...and coming down with “the crud’s” for a couple of days is quite different than getting “the FLU” which is a week or two or mor,e of serious misery.

My thought: Although you literally cannot get the flu from getting a flu shot you CAN come into contact with other yukky stuff by going to a place that’s loaded with sick people. Like a Dr.’s Office, pharmacy, etc. To me, THAT’S risky thing.

Well it hit this morning. Pretty sure it is H2N3 since that is running through the state now. Since the shot only gave a 30-something percent protection I guess my number was up. Day 1 so maybe it will shorten the duration.

I got a shot and then I got the flu. They didn't give me my money back for the shot. :x

Zanaspus":ajzcchm0 said:
I got a shot and then I got the flu.  They didn't give me my money back for the shot. :x
Some do. It's not a guarantee but does offer some % of protection. And even if it's only 10% I'll still get it every year. If I got the kind flu I once had back in the 70's it would surely finish me off now!

Cheers,

RR