Fountain Pens & Pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterD

Reaction score
As a pipe smoker for 51 years and one who chooses to write with a fountain pen...I'd be interested if any of you brothers share in that dual passion. I have always used a fountain pen, well, since the third grade, and it just seems Pipe and Pen fit together or maybe its my own romantic notion...

I realize the wide useage of the PC/Tablets, etc., but I like to write and for many years kept a journal of daily activities...while I still keep the journal, its not everyday. Any document of importance I always sign in fountain pen. Like my pipes, I choose certain pens to reflect my thoughts and perhaps mood of the day.

Any other brothers out there with this passion, let me know! :D

When I first journaled at the tender age of 17 I bought a fountain pen for that effort. I used it for about three years but then got bored with it and probably fed it to stray and voracious gerbils. I've never used one since. I've thought of using one again but when I do journal, which is as often as a grandmother in menarche, it is the quality of the prose and the questionable value of the transient events that I describe that occupies me.

I love fountain pens, but pipes are first priority. That means I can't afford the Montblancs, Watermans, ect.

Right now I use a LAMY Safari and am pretty pleased considering it was only a $30 pen.

I do use a fountain pen whenever I can. Nothing fancy, but a few serviceable pieces. My favorite is a Rotring that looks like some sort of mechanical calibration instrument and feels like I could beat someone senseless with it if the need arose. I am by no means a collector, though. Somehow I avoided that infection. Monbla's quite the enthusiast, I hear.

I use two fountain pens daily. A 1960's Sailor Pocket pen with a 21k gold fine nib in my blood sugar test kit. Then I carry to work for all my daily needs a 1955 Pelikan 140 in green striated with a flexy medium nib. But I have a bunch of Parkers, Sheaffer's, and Visconti pens. Others. More than I need since finding this Pelikan. Oh, when I need red ink at work. I use a glass nib dip pen and Noodler's Nikita.

My daily carry is a Sailor 1911 xf.. But my joy is a Sheaffer Snorkel with a 14k f

After using the Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens for several years, I got a Lamy Safari this past Christmas.

It is the only pen I write with.

I'm also a moleskine journal guy. They just seem to go together with fountain pens.

penpipe.jpg

I used to write with fountain pens exclusively, unfortunately I am not proficient enough to use them in the course of my daily job. Running back and forth to court, often jotting notes on scraps of paper in the court house hallways, a disposable ballpoint just makes life easier. I do carry a Parker ballpoint in my jacket pocket and a Pelikan M400 in my brief case, but the Pelikan rarely sees the light of day.

Though, the new job has bumped me up in prestige somewhat, and keeps me more in conference rooms than court rooms, so it may be about time to dust off those old ink bottles.

I don't use fountain pens, but I have a small gathering of vintage typewriters which I use to fill out county/state/federal paperwork. If I carried a fountain pen in the field I very much doubt the ink or the pen would stay put very long.
xd
The romance of them is nice, but I can't seem to figure out a use for them for me.

I've collected Fountain Pens since around 1975 but am of a generation which learned to use 'em back in elementary school. Remember the old colored barrel Schaefer cartridge pens that leaked like a sieve ? :p My focus has been Parker Vacumatics, and 51s as well as post war German pens mostly MontBlank, Osmia, and Pelikan. I currently use a Mont Blanc 256 from 1954 and a Pelikan 100 from 1938 in striated Grey and a 1944 Parker Vac Maxima daily.

Kyle Weiss":1hm4aujd said:
If I carried a fountain pen in the field I very much doubt the ink or the pen would stay put very long.
xd
The romance of them is nice, but I can't seem to figure out a use for them for me.
The one thing they're not very good at is multiple carbon copies, so mine doesn't see much use at work either. With the Rotring I use, though, I wouldn't have to worry about durability in the field or logyard. Being machined from solid brass, it's pretty sturdy. Here's an example:

I do not know if pipes and fountain pens necessarily go together, but I sure love writing with a fountain pen. I started using them at varsity and college, but unfortunately they jut are not practical for day to day stuff

I too have loved fountain pens for years. My father bought me a Pelikan fountain pen for my HS graduation. I used it until it basically fell apart. I never knew how nice of a pen it was until just recently I decided to get back into them. They're not cheap!

My dad has several Montblanc pens that I've been drooling over for years...my favorite being his cigar sized 149.

I recently bought a cheap replica from HisNibs and it writes like a charm. This seller calibrates each pen before he sends it out so it's guaranteed to write as good as it can.

I would totally recommend this site for trying a fountain pen out if you're just getting into them.

Here's a some pics of my fave Montblanc, the 256. It has the exposed "winged" nib which was later enclosed with a "hood" ala the '51' later in the 60s in a different model. It's not as big as the 149 or Miesterstuck of today or then, but is a nice usable size and holds a nice amount of ink for a piston-filler of it's size.

IMG_0224_ent1.jpg

IMG_0223_ent1.jpg

I've used this pen for almost 20 years now almost daily for ALL my writting with NO problems!! :p

CharlG":5gourk69 said:
I do not know if pipes and fountain pens necessarily go together, but I sure love writing with a fountain pen. I started using them at varsity and college, but unfortunately they jut are not practical for day to day stuff
Come to think of it, I stated using a fountain pen the same year I started smoking a pipe. I guess we're just "old world classy" kinds of guys. :D

George Kaplan":tianr3v2 said:
With the Rotring I use, though, I wouldn't have to worry about durability in the field or logyard. Being machined from solid brass, it's pretty sturdy. Here's an example:

Those are some fine looking pens!

monbla256":521fqr1r said:
I've collected Fountain Pens since around 1975...
Not that it's necessary, but I can't help but grin at the thought that Monbla has been collecting fountain pens at least three years longer than I've been alive.

:D

roogles said:
George Kaplan":bwwcm876 said:
With the Rotring I use, though, I wouldn't have to worry about durability in the field or logyard. Being machined from solid brass, it's pretty sturdy. Here's an example:

Those are some fine looking pens!
Thank's, Eli. Rotring makes some quality writing instruments. Mine's like the matte silver one. I've also got the matching roller-ball, mechanical pencil, and a cool little telescoping ball-point. I highly recommend them.

Nuttin wrong with fountain pens. I don't collect but alas I do acquire - rather like pipes. Hmmm - I may have the same quantity of each or at least close.

Schaffer PFM (I have a III) is one of my favorites along with Parker 51 (aero) and Wahl Skyline.

Biggest frustration has been the Chicago Pen Show and he Chicago Pipe Show being on the same day.

As for that Rotring 600, I have two. I swear you could drive it through a 2x4 and it would still write. Experiment with someone elses, though....

Fazby":yhmnreny said:
As for that Rotring 600, I have two. I swear you could drive it through a 2x4 and it would still write. Experiment with someone elses, though....
:cheers: Can I try it with yours?