Fountain Pens & Pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I am into my 2nd year using this 1955 Pelikan 140 as a daily writer. Really a superb pen.

pelika10.jpg

I'm really glad you posted that Carlos. I was just recently looking at one of those. It had some issues with it, but really like the way it looked, so I'll be sure to keep my eye out for another one that's in better shape!

Carlos":f7nkz68g said:
I think I am into my 2nd year using this 1955 Pelikan 140 as a daily writer. Really a superb pen.
That is an absolutely beautiful pen!

...I can certainly agree with Carlos...I have a Pelikan 400 in blue stripe and its been one of my favorites for 16 years... :cheers:

For me they are more practical, sturdier nib, all around everyday pen that won't break the bank.

The Pelikan 140 and 400 are two of probably the finest fountain pens made today. They also made the140 and 400 in a solid black and they do look really "spiffy" :p The 400 has come in a wide variety of colors and stripings over the years. One of the nicest were the brown/tortoise colored striped models w/a dark brown cap and piston knob. You can't go wrong with either. I have 12 400's and 10 14o's in my collectiom and currently am using a 400N from 1953, a green stripe, w/ a nice soft 14k B nib. It puts down a nice varied thick/thin line when writting.

Just picked this off ebay. It's a special edition Waterman did back in teh 90's featuring some of Da Vinci's artwork covering the pen. Not bad for $15!

t2ec1610.jpg

t2ec1611.jpg

I remember when those came out. They use cartridges but you can get a convertor for it so that you can use bottled ink. They also have a gilded nib similar to the nibs on your other two Watermans. Save your pennies up and get a Pelikan, there is a WORLD of difference in the writting and line put out by one of those solid gold German nibs !! :p

monbla256":lpaqf7p1 said:
I remember when those came out. They use cartridges but you can get a convertor for it so that you can use bottled ink. They also have a gilded nib similar to the nibs on your other two Watermans. Save your pennies up and get a Pelikan, there is a WORLD of difference in the writting and line put out by one of those solid gold German nibs !! :p

Yea I've got some change coming my way, and this was a pretty unique pen, so thought I'd pick it up since it was so cheap. I was also looking into one of those TWSBI pens. Ohhh so many that I want. First thing though, Pelikan :D

I personally own a TWSBI 540 "Diamond" I've used tons of vintage pens in my time as a young student, but I had to return those to my mother before going away for college. So I was given this little guy by my future mother in law.

Love it quite a bit. The plastic around the nib section actually cracked just yesterday, but the company is sending out a replacement ASAP.

Cannot wait to get her up and running again. Now I must buy a new ink to go with it to celebrate this....hrm...

Would you say the nib is decent enough quality? I'm planning on picking up a pelikan before i buy another, but would like to get an idea of the overall quality and smoothness of the pen before shelling out the cash.

zjgilbert":2v6024pz said:
Would you say the nib is decent enough quality? I'm planning on picking up a pelikan before i buy another, but would like to get an idea of the overall quality and smoothness of the pen before shelling out the cash.
It's a steel nib. Mine is a Fine. It's /very/ smooth. If you go onto Fountain Pen Network (online forum, for fountain pen users, though i'm sure most of you know this) You'll find that the twsbi has a fantastic reputation there. It's in no way "just" a 50 dollar pen. It's fantastic quality, the nib is neither too wet nor too dry (though this is personally taste) and is very very smooth.

The pen is just a fantastic steal for 50 bucks in my mind.

The manufacturer has really done their work with this and the 530. All designed with input from the community to create for what most considers a fantastic pen.

I don't have a TWSBI Vac 700, so I cannot offer input on that one. But if you're considering the TWSBI 540, get it.

If you are after a Pel, Richard tricks out the nibs before sending the pen out. They are good out of the box, but the final tweaking makes a difference. I have a few.

http://richardspens.com/

No, he is not the only nibmeister, and he no longer takes in repairs, but he is damn good. The rest of the site is a great educational resource, too.

Fazby":ry1llidl said:
If you are after a Pel, Richard tricks out the nibs before sending the pen out. They are good out of the box, but the final tweaking makes a difference. I have a few.

http://richardspens.com/

No, he is not the only nibmeister, and he no longer takes in repairs, but he is damn good. The rest of the site is a great educational resource, too.
That's a sweet link, thanks for sharing!

Reviving this thread because I've finally taken up the fountain pen. Got a Cross cartridge pen from my daughter and I am making an effort to correct 30 plus years of bad writing habits and horrible chicken scratch.

Those Pelikan 140's are gorgeous. I've been reading up on them, watching a few youtube reviews, and they look like a fantastic vintage instrument with the slightly flexing 14K gold nib and beautiful workmanship. Awfully pricey though, unfortunately. Maybe one of these days.

The Cross pen I have has a stiff, medium nib that is probably on the large side of medium, so I am considering grabbing a Lamy Safari fine nib and an Ahab Flex just to get a little experience with the differences in how they perform.

I really like fountain pens, specially older ones but, like Ocelot, pipes are my priority and I just can't afford one that's worth a damn so..........

Puff Daddy":ff1izxj4 said:
Reviving this thread because I've finally taken up the fountain pen. Got a Cross cartridge pen from my daughter and I am making an effort to correct 30 plus years of bad writing habits and horrible chicken scratch.

Those Pelikan 140's are gorgeous. I've been reading up on them, watching a few youtube reviews, and they look like a fantastic vintage instrument with the slightly flexing 14K gold nib and beautiful workmanship. Awfully pricey though, unfortunately. Maybe one of these days.

The Cross pen I have has a stiff, medium nib that is probably on the large side of medium, so I am considering grabbing a Lamy Safari fine nib and an Ahab Flex just to get a little experience with the differences in how they perform.
The price of older, "vintage" pens i'll have to agree has gotten quite up there so to speak considering what I paid 30 years ago for some of the pens I have and use now, but it's not that far off what the price of good "vintage" estate pipes go for either. The newer European FP are made for today's writing style and as such, even the upper end models don't have the type of flexible gold nibs of those of the mid '50s. I'd suggest that you take a look in the $200.00 to $250.00 range which would allow you to get a very good, usable and durable Pelikan, Osmia, Castell-Faber or even Monblanc pen of that period which will have a much more flexible nib and hold a decent quantity of ink and last you the rest of your life. Most folks in those days had and used just ONE pen and many times they were a GOOD one. Save your pennies, do your research and when you can GET IT !! :twisted:  BTW, using a GOOD pen CAN and WILL IMPROVE your handwriting in and of itself as the pens of that time were designed to be USED and a FP was a standard communication tool of the time.  :twisted: