Fountain Pens & Pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I write my name in cursive. But everything else is a print, mostly. Printing is faster when copying Morse code than cursive. So I do everything pretty much the same way.

I started a random typewriter thread.

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t17894-william-faulkner-pipes-typewriters

A few years ago I decided that my handwriting had devolved enough and bought myself a cursive handbook and some disposable fountain pens. Then in dribs and drabs I picked up a Schaeffer No-Nonsense, Esterbrook, an old Kaweco pocket pen, a Lamy 2000, and a Montblanc Mozart which I literally fished out of the trash (it had a broken sectio) and had it repaired. I used them everyday until I got a job where the boss had a penchant for borrowing pens and absentmindedly walking away with them. Now that I'm at a new job I need to get back into the swing of things. Nothing comes close to the feel of a fountain pen.

I started thinking and realized I hadn't seen a thread on fountain pens. I decided to search the forum to see if any had been started that I missed, so thought I'd post here instead of being a boob and starting a new one. Here are the two pens I have right now, but plan on buying plenty more. I love writing with a fountain pen because they write so smoothly, i love the classic look, it's unique (I don't know of another 21 year old that uses them, or even writes by hand anymore), and I really like the way they make my handwriting come out aka fancy chicken scratch :p Here is my Waterman Laureat and my Waterman Hemisphere. The Laureat was used by my grandfather until he handed it down to me and the Hemisphere was a Christmas gift last year.

photo_11.jpg

Trasnlated: If there's an older, outdated way of doing things, that's where you will probably find me.
Zack Gilbert
(my signature)
Brother of Briar
Zjgilbert

monbla256":swnfnx6t said:
AAAAH that satisfying "zzzzzzzzzg/thunk as the carraige returned to start every time you finished a line !! I still have an IBM Selectric I use at times and have thre "type balls" for it! It's a big honker of a machine but sooooo smooth to use :p
I used to have a typewriter that belonged to my grandmother. I wish I still had it, but my parents got rid of it because they were tired of it taking up space in my room. I'd much prefer to type up my papers on that over a computer...maybe it's time to start poking around to see if I can find one.

i.keenum":swnfnx6t said:
Bring part of the electronic age. Typing was taught in grade school to a much greater extent than penmanship . Wish I had handwriting nice enough to justify getting one.
This is going to sound crazy, but I sat there and practiced writing things out to try to improve my handwriting. Looking at it you'd be appalled at the thought that it could be worse though. I would spend about an hour a day for a few months writing things down from books, keeping a journal, copying scripture verses, whatever I was doing I would try to find a way for me to practice my writing. My writing improves when I'm back at school seeing as I write every day. If you want one, get it. As people have said, a handwritten note is unrivaled. Having that cool handwriting done with a cool pen only makes it better.

...Zach, Glad to see a post from someone younger! the two pens you show are fine pens indeed...continue to enjoy writing and smoking... :study:

Everything worthwhile comes back around again.

Look at pipe smoking.

The world seems to be full of younger guys assuming that their appreciation of pipes, pens,
straight razor shaving, pocket knives, vinyl records, wind-up watches &c must be fluky.

Welcome to the zoo :lol:

:face:

With our disposable, right-now, drive-through society, rebellion is as simple as picking up something that requires skill, time, patience and practice to use. May it spread to other areas of our society. 8)

If you want your handwritting to truly sing so to speak, try finding a Post War (1948 thru 1960) German fountain pen. They had soft nibs on them that were at times the rivals in putting down a varied line as did the old Watermans of the pre-war (WWI) eye-dropper era. Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Faber-Castell, Kaweko are a few of the makers you can find good working examples of , but as all of these are "collectables" today they will cost a bit more than your two gilded nib'd Watermans you are using . Keep it up! I've used a fountain pen since I was in elementary school. :p

The rejection of the Great Lie begins with little, symbolic choices . . .

:face:

monbla256":a1r8zvtz said:
If you want your handwritting to truly sing so to speak, try finding a Post War (1948 thru 1960) German fountain pen. They had soft nibs on them that were at times the rivals in putting down a varied line as did the old Watermans of the pre-war (WWI) eye-dropper era. Mont Blanc, Pelikan, Faber-Castell, Kaweko are a few of the makers you can find good working examples of , but as all of these are "collectables" today they will cost a bit more than your two gilded nib'd Watermans you are using . Keep it up! I've used a fountain pen since I was in elementary school. :p
How much would you suppose? I don't mind shelling out the cash when i have it, it's just a matter of is it economical at suh and such a point in time. I can add a new money pot. Savings pot, pipe pot, food pot, books pot, guns pot, and fountain pen pot lol

zjgilbert":z4gugkvb said:
monbla256":z4gugkvb said:
How much would you suppose? I don't mind shelling out the cash when i have it, it's just a matter of is it economical at suh and such a point in time. I can add a new money pot. Savings pot, pipe pot, food pot, books pot, guns pot, and fountain pen pot lol
In today's "collectable " world you'd probably be looking at $200.00+ for a good usable Post War German (WWII) fountain pen. I'm talking about a solid, does not leak, functioning solid gold nib'd pen that you can fill up from the bottle ( most of the pens from Germany from this time period were piston-fillers) and put to paper and put in your pocket and use daily. The Mont Blanc's will be more but the pens they made during this period were SUPERIOR to what they produce today! They even made "student grade" pens as did most of the German makers that had lovely flexible, smooth Steel nibs :p Pelikan is another maker that made EXCELLENT pens and they go for a bit less than the M-Bs depending on the year of production. Take your time and do some research and you will do ok :p

I bought 2 TWSBI because I felt my handwriting was getting illegible to the point I could not read it myself, the TWSBI is a great pen for the value and quality to boot, with the cap on is on the heavy side though.

LV9":qw34ye10 said:
I bought 2 TWSBI because I felt my handwriting was getting illegible to the point I could not read it myself, the TWSBI is a great pen for the value and quality to boot, with the cap on is on the heavy side though.
I've collected Fountain Pens for many years but have NEVER seen reference to a TWSBI before. Just what is it ?

In order for me to view the link i have to b a member i think. What is special about these pens other than the price?