Fountain Pens & Pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Puff Daddy":stmyo4t4 said:
puros_bran":stmyo4t4 said:
Go with the xf in Lamy.  Their F isn't all that F.
Thanks, this helps.
The Lamy Safari is my everyday fountain pen. It's built like a tank and almost never fails to write. More reliable than a ball point even.

Lamy also makes calligraphy nibs and I use the 1.1mm all the time. It is not as position sensitive and is smaller so it can be used for day to day tasks. If you're looking to break bad habit writing going with a calligraphy pen can help.

Jetpens or goulet pens both sell replacement nibs for the safari pretty cheap.. Same concept as the Esterbrook..

But I respectfully disagree, sloppy writing with line variation is still sloppy writing.

I've always loved the idea of owning and using fountain pens. Sadly:
1. I rarely rely upon handwritten correspondence
2. My handwriting is so abysmal, putting a fine writing instrument into my hands would be putting pearls before swine.

idbowman":ncjzzu4z said:
 My handwriting is so abysmal, putting a fine writing instrument into my hands would be putting pearls before swine.
The Pigasus was used by John Steinbeck as a personal stamp with the Latin motto Ad astra per alia porci (to the stars on the wings of a pig). The pigasus was supposed to symbolize Steinbeck as "earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."

image35.jpg

I'm a huge fountain pen fan...from $ preppies to $$$ hand made ebonite Edison Pen Co. stuff...TWSBI's, Kaweco, Vissionaire (a kickstarter campaign from a while back), Franklin & Christoph...I like 'em all...and I take lots of notes while at work, on the phone, business meetings, so I use them daily.

This is one of my "daily writers" that I use for ALL writing I do. It's a Montblanc 256 from 1959 that I;ve used for almost 20 years now. It has the WINGED nib that they also used in the "hooded nib'd" Miesterstucks then. It's a 14k flexible F nib that lays down a line to die for  :twisted: 

Come Lazarus.       Reviving a dead thread.     Anyone got a cool new pen lately?  

Not my pic but I got one like it last month.  Pilot Elite.. Capped its cigarette length, posted its regular length.   Fits perfectly (like its supposed to) in a shirt pocket. 

puros_bran":wmrax3qn said:
Come Lazarus.       Reviving a dead thread.     Anyone got a cool new pen lately?  

Not my pic but I got one like it last month.  Pilot Elite.. Capped its cigarette length, posted its regular length.   Fits perfectly (like its supposed to) in a shirt pocket. 

Nice, PeeB. I'll be the first to admit my good friend James traded me a black/silver Parker 51 and a silver/gold lattice-something Parker 75 for the blue one you gave me. Apparently it was one he didn't have, and I didn't want to try and replace the superfine nib. The 75 needs some work, the cap is kind of loose, but should be an easy fix eventually.

All I use 'em for is signing checks and writing recipes. :lol:

It was yours the second I hit the buy button.....   Got any pics of the new ones???

I'm not sure whether it's nostalgia, romantic or old school. However, I do rather enjoy owning and writing with a fine fountain pen, my choice being the Parker Sonnet, black with gold detailing. I used it daily until sadly I dropped it recently and bent the nib. It will be getting repaired soon as I'm missing it already. Call me old fashioned but I believe every discerning young gentleman should write with a fine fountain pen and wear a time piece that has a mechanical movement, not one of these new fangled quartz jobbers. And of course he should enjoy the wonders of the briar!

I sort of envy you guys (and gals) that have attractive handwriting which can be enhanced by using fountain pens. My handwriting is so bad that I need to print slowly instead of using cursive, otherwise it would look like a bunch of squiggly nonsense.

I often include extra loops where there isn't a need, and have to slow down so much that it literally takes longer than printing. And it also looks like a 3rd grader did it!

My late Mom had beautiful cursive writing. Too bad it didn't rub off on yours truly. Fountain pens are cool, but just not for the likes of me!

:oops:

Cheers,

RR

I forgot about this thread but thought some might appreciate two nice Post-War German pens. These were on my "grail List" pen wise and I finally acquired them this past year. First is a Meisterstuck 146 from 1950. This was their top of the line pen back then (and still is) and is a true instrument meant to write but sadly today's version leaks, has a nib as stiff as a 10p nail and is sadly a ghost of it's former self.

Next up is a Danish production 216 from 1949 . They produced many versions of these Coral pens in many of their series back then and most were made in their Danish plant which was closed down in 1950,

The pics are from the dealer in Hamburg, Germany that I bought them from. I USE these pens and they are truly a joy to use when they were made by a firm that made pens as a WRITING INSTRUMENT !! :twisted: :twisted:

I can't comment on the German pens other than the Lamy 2000, and the Safari. I've not owned the other brands. Partially because of my fondness for Asians of which I've owned Pilots, Sailors, and a Platinum.     I traded my Sailor 1911 (from back when it was just a Sailor 1911.. Now I think it's called 1911 Large or something, they kinda flooded the market with various sizes pens with the 1911 moniker....) and it became 'the one I wish I had back'....

puros_bran":ofl3uxvk said:
Is that a Stanwell?
Nah, that's the Tsuge I mudded trying to save it from burning out.

Rande, a fountain pen can help handwriting and penmanship. It's easy to get sloppy with ballpoints & pencils, but fountain pens require a certan speed and pressure.

puros_bran":055o428p said:
I think the nib
Comment was on today's models
Ah. Squinting at the phone and trying to read Monbla's mumbling, a winning combo.