GLP Haddo's Delight FLAKE

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PLUG...PLUG...PLUG...PLUG...PLUG...

Oh...excuse me. I just had a 'moment' there. :twisted:

There should be a new cut called the "BoB Plug." Not that it differs at all from other plug-cut styles, but the fact that BoB as a collective insisted it be so. :lol:

8)

glpease":1a91ewjf said:
The interest here in a project like this is certainly encouraging. There are some technical issues which might get in the way of doing precisely a Haddo's based flake or plug, but they're not insurmountable. I'll work on the right formulation to get the end result where I'd expect it to be, and see how it goes.

So, yes. I'll work on it. It's an exciting project!
I know this is an older thread, but I've been off the board for a while and just saw this...

Greg: I'll buy 20 tins of this right off the bat! I actually talked to C&D a few years ago about ordering some of this pressed and they refused, saying that it wouldn't be right to do such a thing to one of your blends without your permission. Being the impertinent SOB that I am, I simply pressed some on my own (primitive technique, but it sort of worked). It did change the character somewhat, but it was AWESOME! It seemed to basically intensify the perique to a level that many pipe smokers might find intolerable while decreasing the sweetness somewhat (it struck me as an odd result), but for me it was nonetheless fantastic. I've been smoking a whole lot of Exhausted Rooster since it came out, and one of the reasons is that it strongly reminds me of that semi-pressed Haddo's I made. But having a pressed version that, say, restored some of the original sweetness and balance would be something I'd cellar in quantities as great as I could afford.

jj1015":inz13h24 said:
glpease":inz13h24 said:
The interest here in a project like this is certainly encouraging. There are some technical issues which might get in the way of doing precisely a Haddo's based flake or plug, but they're not insurmountable. I'll work on the right formulation to get the end result where I'd expect it to be, and see how it goes.

I know this is an older thread, but I've been off the board for a while and just saw this...

Greg: I'll buy 20 tins of this right off the bat! I actually talked to C&D a few years ago about ordering some of this pressed and they refused, saying that it wouldn't be right to do such a thing to one of your blends without your permission. Being the impertinent SOB that I am, I simply pressed some on my own (primitive technique, but it sort of worked). It did change the character somewhat, but it was AWESOME! It seemed to basically intensify the perique to a level that many pipe smokers might find intolerable while decreasing the sweetness somewhat (it struck me as an odd result), but for me it was nonetheless fantastic. I've been smoking a whole lot of Exhausted Rooster since it came out, and one of the reasons is that it strongly reminds me of that semi-pressed Haddo's I made. But having a pressed version that, say, restored some of the original sweetness and balance would be something I'd cellar in quantities as great as I could afford.
I'm finishing up another project soon, and will be making the preliminary plans on this one. It'll be interesting, and fun, and hopefully, will yield a good, at least interesting result! But, keep in mind, it'll take at least a couple months before anything comes to light from this.

-glp

glpease":4gbvvrob said:
jj1015":4gbvvrob said:
glpease":4gbvvrob said:

I'm finishing up another project soon, and will be making the preliminary plans on this one. It'll be interesting, and fun, and hopefully, will yield a good, at least interesting result! But, keep in mind, it'll take at least a couple months before anything comes to light from this.

-glp
A couple of months would be a lot less of a turnaround time than I would've expected, anyway -- BTW, thanks for listening to us! Oh, and if you need any taste testers in the development process, I imagine you've got the equivalent of a line out the door on this board.... :)

Three cheers for Greg, hip hip Haddos !!!!!!!
Now if we can get G :D reg to do a figgy, fruity stoved Virginia flake ala Dunhill Dark flake...

vaperfavour":zwd0d5on said:
Now if we can get G :D reg to do a figgy, fruity stoved Virginia flake ala Dunhill Dark flake...
We could call that one "Pressed Luck." ;)

vaperfavour":rsz3aqqr said:
I tried, even knowing the impossibility going into it, to make something at least reminiscent of Light Flake. What I ended up with was Union Square, which certainly is far from the same thing, but the exploration led to something that I really like. I've never had Dunhill's Dark Flake, but if it's anything at all like a flake version of Ye Old Signe, I'd be all over it.

Some of those old virginias had some secret voodoo going on, I'm sure. One of my all time fave flakes was Benson & Hedges OVF. Magic! I have no idea what made it so special, but it really was.

glpease":xdnefw0l said:
vaperfavour":xdnefw0l said:
I tried, even knowing the impossibility going into it, to make something at least reminiscent of Light Flake. What I ended up with was Union Square, which certainly is far from the same thing, but the exploration led to something that I really like. I've never had Dunhill's Dark Flake, but if it's anything at all like a flake version of Ye Old Signe, I'd be all over it.

Some of those old virginias had some secret voodoo going on, I'm sure. One of my all time fave flakes was Benson & Hedges OVF. Magic! I have no idea what made it so special, but it really was.
I for one am glad the experiment went awry. ;)

I think Union Square is better than Light flake. You have never had Dark Flake?? When I open my tin, I'll send you some, in hopes you can come up with something similar.

vaperfavour":1sucddx7 said:
I think Union Square is better than Light flake. You have never had Dark Flake?? When I open my tin, I'll send you some, in hopes you can come up with something similar.
Thank you, on both counts. ;)

vaperfavour":sklycp34 said:
yes.. union square is mind shatteringly good IMHO. i vote more VA flakes from mr. pease.

sam a":gk86jlij said:
vaperfavour":gk86jlij said:
yes.. union square is mind shatteringly good IMHO. i vote more VA flakes from mr. pease.
Couldn't agree more. I also vote more VA plugs... :cheers:

Play Union Square again! Let's hear Jack Knife Plug one more time! Freebird! :p

I tease. ;)

Keep on blendin', Greg. These loyal fans ain't goin' away. :)

Oh, and please keep us posted on Haddos Flake/Plug. That should be a tasty addition to the line once it's ready.

Greg I'm just now getting into your blends...I love Haddo's and JKP....I'm gonna order a new Pease blend every time I stock up now.

I gotta say your accesability to your customers and your openness to suggestions are just great. I know you're already super succesful at what you do but this communication will only ensure your future success.

Being a business owner myself I know that service and communication are key to getting new customers and retaining existing ones...and you seem to really understand that.....oh yeah...and then theres the tobacco blends lol..that might be a tiny part of it too.

I had a dream the other night that Haddo's Flake existed...

I sold my truck, quit my job, abandoned my home and went on a walking tour of the country with a backpack full of Haddo's Flake, a few pipes and my loyal canine companion.

I slept under the stars. I fished in the streams for my supper.

I carved "HADDO WAS HERE" in the oak trees.

Young women smiled and winked at me as they passed me walking down the side of the road; they knew I couldn't care less and they wanted me more for it.

Everyone I met greeted me with a "whatever you are smoking smells wonderful". "I know", I would reply and I would be on my way.

I was free and happy.

...then I woke up :evil: :x :( :( :(