Hats

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great hat and picture Dusty Roundup!

I just watched "The Cowboys" for the first time in many years, those boys had some nice hats. John Wayne made a comment about their new hats, something to the effect of "they must have scoured the whole county to get all those hats".

One of the BEST production ALL FUR FELT hats made today are those made by Akubra in Australia. David Morgan up in Seattle is the US importer and I've worn 'em for over 30 years now getting my first Bushman model from him back in 1972. Here's my latest Bushman I got 3 yeras ago as my old one was getting a bit" long in the tooth " so to speak:

Bushman1-1.jpg

and here's his website for ya to take a look at:

http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php?cPath=2

I've aquired 8 since my first one ( different styles :p ) and wear one EVERY day :p

Greetings all,

Stetson, felt, 2 3/8" snap brim, pinch front, teardrop, raw edge. At the 2010 Las Vegas Pipe Show.

PipeShowPhoto1.jpg
[/img]

CACooper

riff raff":luxnvion said:
I always admire that Bushman in your Avatar, classic!
That's a Campdraft in my avitar. It is an OZ only model that was made as a Stetson Open Road back in the 50s/60s when Akubra made them under license for Stetson. It's now still made as an OZ only model called the Campdraft. I got it about 5 years ago when it was still offered in that dark brown color. They are very similar hats, the Bushman only comes in one color and has a crown 1/4" shorter and a brim 1/2" wider and is a DM exclusive though it has been made by Akubra since around 1912 or so. They still make "...fan the fire, water the horse" quality hats!!

Great to see men in hats...and with pipes, too! I have a couple of berets (non military), a Donegal tweed cap, a Hanna Irish wool walking hat, a black snap-brim that is my dress hat, and a couple of baseball-type hats, one of which states "Old Guys Rule". Long live hats and pipes! 8)

Posted this pic in another thread last weekend, and the cap got more comments than the giant oak burl I was showing off! It's a Stormy Kromer 1903. Essential winter gear for the Great Lakes region. It's warm, stays on in the wind as advertised, and fits well under a hard hat. The perfect winter work cap for me. I've got another like it in fire hose canvas.

I wear a Pendleton Fedora in the Winter months, and have a couple of Panama hats for summer. I also have a couple of leather "driving caps" and a HD cap of the same genre.

I'd post a picture, but I can't do so yet....I'm too new here.

If you're into REALLY nice hats, particularly cowboy style hats, check out O'Farrell Hats in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Go to their website and take a look at the Conformateur, which is how they measure your head for a precise fit. I visited Santa Fe a couple of times, and got measured there once, but was not willing to fork out the money it takes to get one of their hats. But, they are the BEST I've ever seen, bar none.

i second the endorsement of akubra hats found at david morgan. most cost between $120-175. made of fur felt, as opposed to wool felt, which tends to shrink. most if not all of the akubras sold by morgan are lined, which helps to hold their shape. i have one (the model on which one side of the brim snaps up (you've seen it in breaker morant...i can't remember the name) which is 25 yrs old. won it in a bet with a guy working in australia on who won the u.s. tennis open (when i lost, he got a box of cuban montecristo #3's, purchased at harrods, as i was then stationed in london. a great hat, but not dressy.
in one of my house moves i "lost" a GORGEOUS borsalino fedora. with my FULL face picking the right/flattering hat shape is difficult. i tend to like those with crowns no higher 4" and with at least a 2 3/4" brim. akubra offers 6 or 7 hats which are in that range and can be sporty as well as semi-dressy. they also offer many models that fit up to size 8. i also like the ability to attach a (removeable) chin strap, which i use when hiking.
leather hats are WAY too hot for me, unfortunately.
another source of fur felt westerns is stratton hats, mostly known for their excellent police , sheriff and "trooper-style" quality straw and fur felt hats.
interesting topic...thanks!
jrtaster/john

I've got a fairly large head. I've yet to find a Baseball Cap (That doesn't torch a hole in my pocket) that fits my head correctly. So I did some searching and found the hat I've worn everyday since I've bought it. It's a Jaxon XXL flatcap. It's Charcoal Gray, and goes well (Or so I'm told) with most of what I wear. (Mainly Flannels). I plan to buy more flat caps some day, but I'm content right now.
Zach

I've worn a Greek captain's hat since 1974. A friend of the family brought one back from a trip to Greece and I loved it. He sent back to the little Greek island where he got his and got me one. I still have the original, although I've bought three replacements since then for day to day use. They were perfect for the days in the early 80's when I took the bus downtown. They have a low wind profile, which was very helpful among the sky scrapers.

I don't wear hats as often now. But if I'm going to a festival or Highland game I wear a more wide brim hat. It is not quite the quintessential Cowboy hat, but shades my eyes well. It is sort of the Adam Savage look, from "Mythbusters". I try not to be trendy, but it works.

DrT999":vo1cchki said:
First 'real' hat (as opposed to cap, etc.)

Looks funny to me, but that's likely me, not the hat. . . .

felt-hat.jpg

Ha Dr T. Throw a buckle on that hat and you're Myles Standish

:mgg5djsp]https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/44/12/36/photo_10.jpg[/img][/url][/url]

Here I am in my trusty Stetson 4XXXX Buffalo fur felt. Its a nice comfortable hat, plus it is a little water resistant as it is made from buffalo. so I do not have to worry as much when I am in out in the rain. think I might of paid $105.00 for it a few years ago. I do like the Akubras, but I like trying a hat on before I buy it.

I have to throw this pic out as it is cold and rainy here in NW Mass and I wore this hat earlier. It is the Classic Filson Packer Hat with water reppellant oil finish.
:hczlta4e]https://i.servimg.com/u/f44/17/44/12/36/photo_15.jpg[/img][/url][/url]
The pipe is a Parker Bent Dublin.

I typically wear a variety of stingy brim fedoras - each with their own style and/or place (some for sun, some for rain, some for dressing up, some for dressing down). Since I have no hair on the top, the hat serves as my daily head protection, so I'm seldom without one.

I have, and have worn with regularity a wool Afghan hat. I have not worn it since September 11th 2001. Not due to any misdirected animosity in that "the enemy" wears them so now I hate the hat. But due to the fact that others may think that way which can put me in danger. I am of southern Italian and Spanish ancestry and am often mistook on sight for being middle eastern.

It's something of a shame really because it is a very stylish hat and extremely warm.

My wife bought me this wonderful Straw Ivy cap for Fathers Day. A perfect hat for summer top-down cruising in our MGB. I had it on this morning, its like air conditioning for your head! This vendor had the hat delivered in two days!

ascot.jpg

http://www.shushans.com/dphats.html

Here's a shot of me, the hat and my new GBD this morning.

Thanks RR. Do you find they run smaller or larger than their indicated size? It irritates me to no end headwear is very rarely fitted as they once were.