Hot Fun in The Summertime! July bombing run you mugs, myah!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
(smirk) Briarbeagle, you played an integral part in this story!!!!

So....... Here goes.....

Our July run was, of course, and should be obvious by now, played on our beloved DrumsAndBeer. When the orders went out, there was some bad intel sent out. (Vista instead of Tierra. Wellllll..... It was a Good something or other......) :fpalm:

Briarbeagle contacted me regarding said anomaly, that he was unable to post because the address did not, in fact, exist! Now bear in mind, I've sent items to Drums before, and used the former address, but as this was a bombing run, (and so much more involved that can go wrong), I felt it imperative to ensure all ordinance arrived on target. By the time I heard from BB, much of the ordinance was already enroute . So, I did some research, made some well placed phone calls, and contacted the local post office. This turned out to be no easy task, as the targeted post office local number was defunct! Out of service, in fact! So, I contacted the neighboring office, talked to the postmaster, a nice gal that after a rather complex conversation regarding(vaguely) what was afoot, gave me the ' hotline' phone number to the target's local office. This line is apparently strictly for emergency use only for carriers to 'phone the office'. This was revealed to me after speaking with the target's local postmaster and got things sorted. More on that.....

So, it turns out the 'Vista' and 'Tierra' are on different routes, thus, different carriers. This was carefully orchestrated to coordinate any and all packages from the Thursday prior to the target date, the target date, and following days for the following week, just to assure stragglers made it safely to their objective... I know how schnitzel happens.....

So, after a half hour on the phone with the local postmaster trying to explain without detail and employing an old Jedi mind trick got to coordinate with the carriers and got the proverbial ducks lined up. At the end of the conversation I was asked how I got the hotline number, and explained, again with murky details how I came to be in contact with the right people at the right time.

All in all, a rather messy and overly complex coordination to accomplish last month's mission. A great cheer, shout out and hazzah to Briarbeagle for catching the flaw in the details, and the Woodland post office folks for working with us on this!

So, there it is. I almost blew it. Fortune does indeed favour the foolish, ( and ships named Enterprise) :geek:

Thanks for all the hard work -- stuff happens and then someone has to sort it all out!

DrT999":5f1vsekx said:
Thanks for all the hard work -- stuff happens and then someone has to sort it all out!
All I did was try to fix my mistake.

A big hats off to you, OW. I must admit that I was skeptical of the notion that my bomb would achieve it's objective. Job well done! I'm glad you had more success in your negotiation with the Woodland Postmaster than I did. They basically told me "tough luck, kid."

Sent from Topic'it App

Goodness me Wiz, that was a bit of a pickle. Hats off to you though for sorting it out so well. Just highlights the behind the scenes work that our mods and Bombing Cdrs do so that others can enjoy the forum.

It's a big thank you from me, Wiz :)

Cheers for sorting that Ozzie. Had missaddressed stuff sent to me but thankfully my postie knows me well and it always arrives. Hmmm will need to get him a bottle of something nice this Christmas.

Thanks

Tim

Just returned from a 5 day whirlwind excursion though Yellowstone. What grandeur, I tell you.  8)

OW, thanks for everything you do. That's a harrowing tale of mail service logistics and thankfully the Woodland postal gang was able to figure it all out.

This is not the first time that I have had someone swap out Tierra for Vista and I doubt it will be the last.

Usually when I give my address out to someone, I tell them "Buena (not the Social Club) Tierra." ;) :p

Fr_Tom":w8tjuhx0 said:
I am guessing you had to be careful not to use the word "bomb" in the various conversations with the postal people.
Indeed. And words like:

Tobacco
Squadron
Attack
And that it was a surprise

Yes, it worked out fine, and nothing was injured in the process. :roll: ;)

Fr_Tom":cyq7sd5v said:
I am guessing you had to be careful not to use the word "bomb" in the various conversations with the postal people.
I've often pondered over that Padre.  In my tiny little mind there's some dudes in an underground silo - think Men In Black - whose job it is to scan the internet for terrorist activities.  In Blighty these chaps are MI5.  I can see these dudes getting rather excited about a carefully coordinated group of individuals who are plotting to 'bomb' a secret target somewhere in the world.  Heck, I bet this post is even going to flash red somewhere... errr, chaps, I'm ex British Forces and have been PVd several times.  Service number available on request... you know where to find me. :suspect: