"How Many/What Tins Do You Have Open?" (Part ???)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bulk Aro blend from a local B & M: Optimum
Bulk McClelland 5100 (Redcake) - My absolute favorite
McClelland Mature VA #25
McClelland Stave 35
McClelland 2012 Christmas Cheer

Still un-open:

McClelland Valley Woods
Frog Morton

I don't have any bulk and try to keep the number of tins opened to a minimum. Right now I have -

Frog Morton on the Bayou
McClelland Mixture #1 (almost done)
Dunhill Standard Mixture

But I am craving some of the new stuff I picked up so I'm not sure keeping it to a minimum is possible . . . .

Mac B Virginia #1
Penzance
FVF
Red Rapparee
Danish black vanilla (yuck)
Early Morning Pipe

When these are gone I will open my embarcadero. I also pull on my stormfront and 1-q/rlp6 ocassionally.

The oriental dusk was going to be tried today but I am trying to finish the Virginia #1. The Virginia #1 is pretty boring.

Tins, bulks, samples. Most are less than 1oz each.
Pipeworks & Wilke Bohemian Mixture
pipeinhand's Halflings Leaf
Hamborger Veermaster
MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired
PSLNF
Davidoff Royalty
Peterson Sherlock Holmes
Stonehaven

I have 4 jars, some bags of samples, but alas no tins... mental note I must remedy this.

Since resuming I've had four tins open:

Escudo
Aged Burley Flake
Westminster
Bow-Legged Bear

Today I ordered Billy Budd and Oriental Dusk and 4 more cobs. Ghosting is not something I like to work through, though I know I can. 3 or 4 bowls of mixed flavor is not to my liking.

When I "quit" I had all my tobacco, except closed tins, in Ball jars. Without taking into account the questionable value of opening jars and disturbing fermentation, I had literally 100 jars of remnant or "good" blends from which to choose. That was overkill, to put it mildly. I don't plan on acquiring as much tobacco as I can, and other than addiction, I have no way to explain it, 200 lbs at its height; instead 4-6 "open" blends is my plan. Half of those 100 were blends that I discontinued smoking, that I didn't "like." But I think that disliking was a summary judgment. Maybe a 20 lb/50 tin cellar this time, but everything in good time, when it is truly affordable.

Well, I certainly don't feel bad now, but I ought to finish up the open tins I don't intend to age, as I have discovered some of the "life" of an open tin (stored in the tin, mind you) does wane a bit.

Not much a tin guy, eh Rande? Bulk only?

8)

Kyle Weiss":jippwq0c said:
Well, I certainly don't feel bad now, but I ought to finish up the open tins I don't intend to age, as I have discovered some of the "life" of an open tin (stored in the tin, mind you) does wane a bit.

Not much a tin guy, eh Rande? Bulk only?

8)
Kyle, pretty much the only tin I've opened for a long while is MacBarens Old Dark Fired and have about 1/2 of that left. I do have a few more of this and that I'll get to in due course.

I seem to have slipped into a groove with a couple bulk blends.

Cheers,

RR

Only a couple tins opened here.
Escudo
Virginia Spice
Cairo

I only keep 3-4 tins open at any one time.

Right now it's Solani Silver Flake, McClelland Blackwoods Flake, Orlik Golden Slices and some Lane's 1Q.

I also always have a jar of aged Mac Baren's Matured Virginia going (I buy this one by the pound bags), which I smoke straight as well as in my own blend mixed with Turkish Izmir.

Sometimes I jar open tins, the last examples of this was Hamborger Veermaster and Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired.

I only have 1 'tin' open, but i have a few mason jars with some Aros from my bacco dealer.

For me the opens include:

Hal o the Wynd
Dunhill Flake
Pease's Odyssey
Penzance
SG Grousemoor
McC's Smyrna No. 1

Soon I'll tap into McC's Virginia #24 from '07 and Bombay Extra from '05. Maybe British Woods from '06 soon too.

6 tins open and a mason jar of bottom of the tin leftovers.

Old Gowrie
Blockade Runner
Sextant
3-Oaks Syrian
FMOTT
1888 Late Night

Well, I guess I have a problem. My 'puter tells me I have managed to keep my on-hand blends to less than 1000, at least for the next few months. I am trying to narrow my cellar to a Top100, but I do like to see what's new that might displace an incumbent. That's not easy when Pease, RussO, McClelland, C&D and even MacBaren keep adding new products. I was much more restrained when I puffed only Latakias, but then several years ago I started my Virginias Project....
I don't have all of them opened. There are several hundred unpopped, and lately I've avoided opening a new tin until I empty one. At 3 bowls/day, my rotation is more sequencing different blends as I sort through the umpteen hundred tins and jars. But I must be having fun.

hp
les

I try to keep the open tin count low.

Right now

OGS
Sextant
FVF
Haddo"s Delight

A jar of Stonehaven and a jar of Penzance I dip into once in a while.

These are the blends on the shelf next to my smoking chair:

3-Oaks Syrian – McClelland
Abingdon – GL Pease
Bill Bailey’s Balkan Blend – Dan Tobacco
Captain Earle’s Stimulus Package – Hermit Tobacco
Frog Morton on the Town – McClelland
HH Vintage Syrian - MacBaren
Lagonda – GL Pease
London Mixture – Dunhill
No. 6 English Delight – Torben Dansk
Odyssey – GL Pease
Plum Pudding – Seattle Pipe Club
Rose of Latakia – McClelland
Sextant – GL Pease
Wilderness – McClelland

When I open a tin, I put the tobacco into a Ball® jar. The others are in my office.

BurleyLegal":uccw2niq said:
Is that a wasp nest in the corner?
:lol: Sure looks like it! :lol:

Must be a Lat-wasp. I hear those things are ruthless. 8)