How much do you have cellared?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not more than 10 pounds of pipe tobacco. My cigar collection on the other hand is quite considerable, I have something in the rank of 500 premium cigars, mostly habanos. But, now I am smoking much more pipe tobacco and less cigars. I believe aging is not so important for pipe tobacco as for cigars. Moreover, I dont think pipe tobacco can improve if it is kept in tins. The tobacco to age well (añejarse) needs to somehow breath, but that is another issue. I recently found a GLP Renaissance tin I had kept for more than 8 years and there was some holes produced by rust in the bottom. So I decided to move all my little stock to jars.

As of today I have 562 tins total in the cellar.

www.otcpipes.com/cellar click this link for pics.

Just over 9 lbs and on a buying freeze. Need to come up with better ways to sneak more into the house!

innovador":xrqsdpgk said:
I have not more than 10 pounds of pipe tobacco. My cigar collection on the other hand is quite considerable, I have something in the rank of 500 premium cigars, mostly habanos. But, now I am smoking much more pipe tobacco and less cigars. I believe aging is not so important for pipe tobacco as for cigars. Moreover, I dont think pipe tobacco can improve if it is kept in tins. The tobacco to age well (añejarse) needs to somehow breath, but that is another issue. I recently found a GLP Renaissance tin I had kept for more than 8 years and there was some holes produced by rust in the bottom. So I decided to move all my little stock to jars.
Seems like a lot of pipe smokers are keeping large numbers of tins for aging, and I've wondered the same thing about whether the tobacco can age in vacuum sealed tins.

Harlock999":if14jd00 said:
innovador":if14jd00 said:
Seems like a lot of pipe smokers are keeping large numbers of tins for aging, and I've wondered the same thing about whether the tobacco can age in vacuum sealed tins.
Yes it does! GLP has written on that topic on his website. He´s pretty much the guru...

http://glpease.com/BriarAndLeaf/?p=65#more-65

There´s other stuff out there on the topic...

Yes it does! GLP has written on that topic on his website. He´s pretty much the guru...

There´s other stuff out there on the topic...
I'm going to disagree some with MrE's answer, though disagree is probably too harsh, let's say qualify. I'm basing this on the assumption that what Harlock999 was referring to as aging is where a person is wanting to dramatically change the tobacco, generally Virginias or Virginia/Perques.

Yes some aging occurs in any can, but as pointed out in other Pease articles, and in an article by Russ Ouellette that MrE posted elsewhere (sorry as a new member I'm not allowed to post the url for convenience), in a vacuum sealed can this aging process will be very slow. In fact you vacuum seal tobaccos that you would prefer would not age (aromatics, english if you want to preserve the strong latakia flavor) to slow down the aging process. If aging is what you want, then you may want to consider opening vacuum sealed tins, and transferring them to mason jars. As noted in Russ's article not all tins are vacuum sealed, and thus those tins should not be opened as they are aging.

Tins are sealed with only a partial vacuum, retaining enough air for aging. That being said, more air in a jar will likely allow for faster aging...

An order came in today that put me at about 13.5 lbs. And i probably have at least a pound of open jars and tins laying around. I only began seriously trying to cellar about a year and a half ago

I need to stop buying pipes and focus on tobacco :)

It occurs to me that I never answered the original question. I have around 77 lbs cellared.

I'll post a link to where my cellar can be viewed once my 7 days are up.

Just made it to the 1 lb. mark. I know I'm not breaking any records here but it's a small milestone for me.

http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=1682

Nearing 4 lb.'s now. Honestly, I don't have near as much as I would like, but I'm content with what I do have cellared. I don't have a problem getting tobacco where I am living (Kentucky). I'm also probably about to order another pound of Shortcut to Mushrooms and probably a pound of SPC Plum Pudding.

I'm also about to cellar 1.5 oz's of Cocktail Hour.

I have close to 25lbs. stored. Most of that is SG, Dunhill, Rattray's, and Esoterica.

s.ireland":0d0oiihu said:
An order came in today that put me at about 13.5 lbs. And i probably have at least a pound of open jars and tins laying around. I only began seriously trying to cellar about a year and a half ago

I need to stop buying pipes and focus on tobacco :)
Came across this older thread and my post made me chuckle...

It's been about 10 months since I decided to focus on tobacco and now I'm at about 45 pounds! :pirat:

Time to switch back to pipes??

3 lbs per month is a pretty good rate. Before long you can open your own store. :D

I think the goal should be 100 lbs minus your age. That should always provide a decent buffer for an apocalypse.

J Soshae":y5ppbpgh said:
I think the goal should be 100 lbs minus your age. That should always provide a decent buffer for an apocalypse.

Wait, I thought it was 100lbs + your body weight x your age? Now I have to start over!

:lol:

I haven't counted for a while, but I'm pretty sure I have crossed the 10lbs mark.