How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our Thursday/Friday rain total was 12.11" in my gauge.
It was like a damn hurricane without wind.
The thing had circulation; it just circled and rained and rained.

Today is going to be hot and humid. Temps ranging in the low to mid 90's with humidity running around 70 - 75%. Just the typical August day in North Carolina. :)

AJ

Upper 80's/low 90's have subsided to upper 70's/low 80's lately. Still cools off into the upper 50's/low 60's at night, so sleeping is no problem.

Me, I don't mind the heat since there's usually lower humidity associated with it. I can take the heat, just not the humidity.

It does rather make things uncomfortable at the brewery though as all the refrigeration is working balls-out and is sometimes taxed. As an example just yesterday we lost cooling in the big walk-in where all the finished goods and Tap Room food is stored.

Had to make an emergency call to our trusty refrigeration tech, and he was able to put it right. Can't wait to see what that cost on a Sunday afternoon!

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR

We're having a heat wave
A tropical heat wave.........

Actually not tropical, in the sense that it's relatively low humidity (thank gawd).

Afternoon temps have crawled into the low-mid 90's the past few days and records were set for certain area in the Pac NW.

Right now it's like 89 with 46% RH (was 91 a few hrs ago). Yet it still cools down to the mid-upper 60's at night. This early AM was like 65, and since I'm an early riser opened up the windows to sweep out the stale hotter air. Very refreshing!

Don't have central air here (few have as it's not usually needed). So just rely on closing all the drapes and blinds and such so as to reflect the heat rather than absorbing it into the house. Works for me.

Inside is now 81, and that's very tolerable for me. Not enough to get me into shorts though. Still have on sweatpants!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Absolutely wonderful. 78 degrees F and poofy clouds scattered about. RH of around 45%. Light breeze. A great day for working outside..............

Early August was seasonal here in the Pac NW, which is to say quite warm with temps in the upper 80's/low 90's for the first half of the month. Normally this continues through the month but then it became more like Oct during the second half of the month, with rain/drizzle and temps in the 60's.

Now having a bit of an Indian summer, with temps in the mid 70's and plenty of sun. Still gets cool night times, upper 50's/low 60's. Good sleeping weather my folks used to say. I'll take this 365 days/yr!

Cheers,

RR

We've started to cool down and have gotten some rain! No more 100s more like our usual averages. Much better! :twisted: Supposed to cool down some more and rain again this weekend !! :cheers:

Like Custer's last stand...

It's nearly 2000hrs here in the 'shire and it's 74 degs F. The UK is currently experiencing an unseasonal warm spell (I use the term heat wave reservedly) making it the warmest since 1911. Just the ticket for sitting on the patio with a favourite 'baccy watching the last of the summer visitors wheel around the skies. So long little fellas! Safe trip and see you next year!

Yup, just had that smoke.

Sat on the patio with my young son discussing the things that fathers and sons do. We set up a moth trap too but alas we had no takers. A lovely and memorable evening.

Stick":0hxybwt9 said:

Sat on the patio with my young son discussing the things that fathers and sons do.  We set up a moth trap too but alas we had no takers.  A lovely and memorable evening.
Excellent!

Ozark Wizard":3s69s9ii said:
Stick":3s69s9ii said:

Sat on the patio with my young son discussing the things that fathers and sons do.  We set up a moth trap too but alas we had no takers.  A lovely and memorable evening.
Excellent!
Indeed.

That you could spend some father/son moments like that are priceless. Well done.

Cheers,

RR

Indian summer gone now. Back in the low 60's with showers. Good thing I got the deck refinished earlier in the week when the the sun was shining. Dang, summer is very short here in the Pac NW!

:(

Cheers,

RR

With all the serious weather situations centered around Hurricane Matthew lately, it almost seems lame to talk about the Pac NW situation.

The upshot is that we're experiencing multiple disturbances that are remnants of a big typhoon that skirted Japan and boomeranged around to ride on the jet stream. The bulls-eye for these are the WA coast, NW interior (Edmonds to Bellingham) and to a lesser extent the greater Seattle area.

Predicted wind gusts of 75 mph in the most affected areas, 30 ft seas on the coast as it rolls in. Other areas could see 40-60 mph gusts.

Here in the Cascade foothills, we've been spared the worst of this so far. Plenty of flickering lights, but no outtages so far. Yet it's early game as they predict the second disturbance will roll through Sat/Sat night and they're calling this a potential "historic storm", depending on how it plays out.

I'm reminded of the very severe storm we had back in '06 where over a million were without power for a significant period. In fact it took our area 6 days to restore power. Some areas went several weeks.

So, I'm prepared as much as can be should it come to that. New genny, plenty of fuel, food, water, TP, etc. Oh and 'baccy!

As much as I love the Pac NW I hate these periods!

:no:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":6r2kss6d said:
And now I see that this storm created a tornado that affected those in Manzanita, OR.

:shock:

No Cheers,

RR
I hope you're staying safe where you're at! It looks like I'll be south of the bad stuff, but I've cleared a place for the car in the garage and am preparing the outside stuff for the winds. I've got a full tank of gas and a pantry full of food, and in case the power goes out I've got a butane camp stove masquerading as an Alec Bradley tabletop cigar lighter.

I am definitely keeping those affected by worse parts of this storm in my thoughts, and hope the greater PNW makes it out relatively unscathed.

Fortunately, our area was spared the destructive winds that visited other parts of Puget Sound over the weekend.

Apparently in Kitsap county, west of Seattle across the Sound (and where I lived for 8 yrs) had some outtages. As well the areas from Everett through the island counties to Bellingham. Don't know the peak gusts just yet, but think they turned out to be less than predicted.

And yet at this time of year when some of the trees still have their leaves and the ground is saturated, even moderate gusts can cause problems. Including and especially all the weaker limbs and branches that survived from the storms last season. So the first one can be more serious that one imagines.

Quite unusual to have a windstorm this early in the season. Hope it isn't a harbinger of things to come! :silent:

Cheers,

RR

First snow of the season here in the Cascade foothills - oh happy, happy, joy, joy-
:x

Only got about 2" of the garbage today, but it's sticking with more on the way in the next several days. Temps at night will plummet into the teens over the first part of the week, with daytime temps in the low-mid 30's.

Not my favourite time of year, and the long range forecast is for a La Nina, which will bring colder temps and more moisture. And that translates to that 4-letter word I freaking hate - SNOW!!

Ya, you folks that like skiing and snowboarding can have it - have it all afaic - with my sincere compliments!!

:evil:

OK, rant over. I feel better now..........

Cheers?

RR

Brewdude":c96cxo9r said:
First snow of the season here in the Cascade foothills - oh happy, happy, joy, joy-
:x

Only got about 2" of the garbage today, but it's sticking with more on the way in the next several days. Temps at night will plummet into the teens over the first part of the week, with daytime temps in the low-mid 30's.

Not my favourite time of year, and the long range forecast is for a La Nina, which will bring colder temps and more moisture. And that translates to that 4-letter word I freaking hate - SNOW!!

Ya, you folks that like skiing and snowboarding can have it - have it all afaic - with my sincere compliments!!

:evil:

OK, rant over. I feel better now..........

Cheers?

RR
I guess you wouldn't be liking this then Rande...!

Minus 5 degrees C here in the 'shire during the last week. All set to be plus 15 degrees C here tomorrow. What the...?