How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewdude":8inqjkwu said:
Could get a little wild around here in W. Washington Sunday.

High winds are expected in many areas during the afternoon. I heard 80 mph on the coast, and 60 mph in other areas. That's serious stuff!

My local NOAA prediction is for 44 mph gusts, which isn't terrible but enough to bring down trees on power lines as the ground is saturated from all the recent rain. Not a good scenario.....

Actually it's unprecedented to have a damaging windstorm this late in the season. They usually come in late Nov through early Jan. And yet we've had several of them in the past week. They seem to come in groups of three, with the third one being the worst. So here we go!

I'm prepared. Have a new 7500w genny all read to go and plenty of fuel. Got plenty of canned food, and am Coleman equipped for lanterns and camp stove if it comes to that. As long as a tree doesn't come down on my house I should be OK.

Ya, I always stress about these events before they happen........and for good reason.......

Back when I first moved to the Pac NW in late '90 I had the experience of a 100' Hemlock just about t-boning my kitchen with me in it! Watched it come down in like slow motion. Fortunately it was deflected a few ft by a relatively small alder. Otherwise it could've been much worse!

So suffice to say, when the winds get wild I get apprehensive!

:x

Cheers?

RR
Baton the hatches Rande!

As we say in the Scouts, Be Prepared.

As a mountaineer I've experienced some pretty epic winds in my time so understand the potential of a big storm. With your proactive prep I'm sure you'll be fine mate.

Let us know how it goes...

The B looks good from 20', it will need painted soon. I just keep it covered and dust it off. It will get polished and waxed in the next two weeks.

riff raff":hlco0215 said:
The B looks good from 20', it will need painted soon.  I just keep it covered and dust it off.  It will get polished and waxed in the next two weeks.  
First place mine started to corrode after it had been restored was on the seam running forward from the top of the rear light cluster and on the dog leg seam on the panel between the screen and the bonnet. I think the panels must shift slightly in relation to each other leading to the paint cracking along the seam and allowing the water in. I remember sticking Waxoyle everywhere I could get it. Inner door panels off to get at the bottom of the doors, on the ledge inside the rear wheel arch, all the ledges inside the bonnet... and so it went on. Oh the joys of owning a 45 year old car!

Still looks great though Al! Enjoy brother.

Stick":yply8gk1 said:
Brewdude":yply8gk1 said:
Could get a little wild around here in W. Washington Sunday.

High winds are expected in many areas during the afternoon. I heard 80 mph on the coast, and 60 mph in other areas. That's serious stuff!

My local NOAA prediction is for 44 mph gusts, which isn't terrible but enough to bring down trees on power lines as the ground is saturated from all the recent rain. Not a good scenario.....

Actually it's unprecedented to have a damaging windstorm this late in the season. They usually come in late Nov through early Jan. And yet we've had several of them in the past week. They seem to come in groups of three, with the third one being the worst. So here we go!

I'm prepared. Have a new 7500w genny all read to go and plenty of fuel. Got plenty of canned food, and am Coleman equipped for lanterns and camp stove if it comes to that. As long as a tree doesn't come down on my house I should be OK.

Ya, I always stress about these events before they happen........and for good reason.......

Back when I first moved to the Pac NW in late '90 I had the experience of a 100' Hemlock just about t-boning my kitchen with me in it! Watched it come down in like slow motion. Fortunately it was deflected a few ft by a relatively small alder. Otherwise it could've been much worse!

So suffice to say, when the winds get wild I get apprehensive!

:x

Cheers?

RR
Baton the hatches Rande!

As we say in the Scouts, Be Prepared.

As a mountaineer I've experienced some pretty epic winds in my time so understand the potential of a big storm.  With your proactive prep I'm sure you'll be fine mate.  

Let us know how it goes...
So far so good mate. Looks like the storm was downgraded several times since yesterday. Still got a little exciting here mid afternoon. Lights flickering but no power cuts....yet! Day ain't over though.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

RR

Been raining like all get out for the last few days here in Northern California. Trust me when I say that this is much needed rain..

As a postscript, the windstorm was very serious indeed.

News reports that at the height, over 176K customers in my provider area (PSE) were without power yesterday! Apparently over 60K are still in the dark, and that doesn't even account for the other areas!

Many trees down on houses, cars, etc. Only one reported death so far - a man who had a very large tree come down on his car as he drove through a park with a toddler. The toddler is reported as OK though. Very sad.

I count myself as very lucky, this time!

:eek:

Cheers,

RR

Been seeing on the news in the past 24 hrs that the Denver area got their azz kicked by a major blizzard, and it's headed east. Any BoB'ers in that area and how are you fairing?

When I was a cheesehead we'd almost always get a spring snowstorm right around Easter. One of the things I don't miss about living there!

:shock:

Cheers,

RR

Unseasonably warm and sunny here in the Pac NW these past days.

Daytime temps reaching into the mid 80's in my area in the Cascade foothills. Heard Bremerton on the other side of the Sound got to 90 yesterday. All records being shattered.

In fact it's a balmy 83 at chez Brewdude right now at 4:45 PM. Beautiful and sunny, in the middle of April! We don't normally get this good until July or August. In fact we joke that our summer officially starts on July 5th, since so very often the 4th is rainy when the fireworks displays are all scheduled.

We'll surely pay for this down the road. But for now I have all the windows open. And am loving it.

:sunny:

Cheers,

RR

Weatherman says Thunderstorms off and on all week but, around here ya really can't put any faith in that.
Every 15 minutes it changes, like we had some storms yesterday as planned but, today we didn't so I reckon we'll have them tomorrow..........or maybe not, maybe a Tornado.........or maybe not. I just check out the window ever so often. Wish I could get the truck washed and waxed before Summer but, ya all know what that makes happen. :fpalm:

Oh! and they say, "April showers bring May Flowers" so what do Thunderstorms bring.............Trees? :scratch:

6 inches of rain predicted over two days. Weather actual was partly sunny yesterday, drizzle today, cooler temps than the norm...

We swapped our weather for Seattle's.......

A new record setting temp today in the Pac NW. Seattle got to 91F, and my area pretty much the same! This is normally what we'd see in late July/Aug. :shock:

It'll cool down over the next few days, to the mid-80's with upper 60's by the end of the week. Fortunately it cools down to the upper 60's at night for pleasant sleeping weather.

Thankfully, there's not much humidity which accompanies this. I can take a dry heat, but abhor high humidity!

Cheers,

RR

Hotter then Valcan's forge today. Thermometer read 94 in the shade on the jobsite here in Tacoma.

Summer has officially arrived in the Pac NW. Last couple days have been in the mid-80's approaching 90. Plenty of sunshine. Low humidity (we're talking 37%). Fortunately cools off to the 60's at night, which makes sleeping easier.

Looks like a downturn this weekend though, back into the 70's with a chance of showers early in the week. Either way is OK with me since warmer temps don't bother me much, as long as there's low humidity.

Most of the month was rather on the cooler side, which is OK with me actually, but I finally took off the long Johns earlier this week, so that accounts for something!

:rabbit:

Cheers,

RR

Another day of 99 w/heat index of 104. Humidity in the 60% range as it's been since the first of May . Not real pleasant as it's supposed to be in the 100's most of August and September this year ! If your cold up where you live, come on down :twisted: :twisted:

This week, the afternoons have been pretty brutal, temps in the mid-90s and heat index (depending on the humidity) between 102-110. The rest of the day is bearable -- and overall, compared to some places, I guess we're not having it too bad!

Today was a nice break from the heat. 82 and cloudy. This afternoon thunderstorms came and drove me back inside. What to do on a rainy Sunday? Sharknado marathon on syfy. Sure, got a bit enlightened and am hunkered down watching the third movie, titled, "Oh Hell No". The premiere of Sharknado 4, "The 4th Awakens", is on next........

Yup, I'm pretty much braindead today. Al of my bones that I broke hurt today for some reason. A bunny simmers in a pot in the kitchen, wafting scents of butter, cinnamon, clove, garlic and basil. Jasmine rice and stir fried onion, broccoli, snap peas and mushrooms, topped with a curry peanut sauce will accompany the rabbit.

Sharknado. You can't make this stuff up. Man, I really am braindead today...........

Ozark Wizard":72k26jw5 said:
Today was a nice break from the heat. 82 and cloudy. This afternoon thunderstorms came and drove me back inside. What to do on a rainy Sunday? Sharknado marathon on syfy. Sure, got a bit enlightened and am hunkered down watching the third movie, titled, "Oh Hell No". The premiere of Sharknado 4, "The 4th Awakens", is on next........

Yup, I'm pretty much braindead today. Al of my bones that I broke hurt today for some reason. A bunny simmers in a pot in the kitchen, wafting scents of butter, cinnamon, clove, garlic and basil. Jasmine rice and stir fried onion, broccoli, snap peas and mushrooms, topped with a curry peanut sauce will accompany the rabbit.

Sharknado. You can't make this stuff up. Man, I really am braindead today...........  
The weather is hot again but that dinner sounds like it would have warmed you up regardless!

Out here on the east coast of South Korea...hot and excessively humid. At noon its about 32 degrees C (89 F) and I would put the humidity around 70 percent or more. About the same humidity as a walk in humidor.

Went sailing for a bit this morning with my son and we both sweltered and came back after about an hour to seek refuge in an ice cream shop. Any pipes I'm smoking are after 10pm up on the rooftop of the apartment (15th floor) and looking over Cheong Cho harbor while sipping on a cold beer (Kilkenny tonight).

Big downturn weather-wise for us in the Pac NW over the last week. Went from mid-upper 80's to barely into the lower 70's during the day with 50's at night. Kind of like early Oct weather, also with showers and thunderstorms! Today was in the mid-60's.

Normally Aug is our hottest and driest month. So I'm back in the long johns with sweatpants and sweatshirts, and the central heating on! And all this while much of the rest of the country is sweltering in triple digits with severe thunderstorms and tornadoes!

No, I'm neither bragging nor complaining, mind!

:!:

Cheers,

RR

In mere days, the Pac NW pendulum has swung a full 180! Now into upper 80's and 90's daytime. Fortunately it cools down to the 60's at night so sleeping is easier.

Also fortunate is that the RH isn't oppressive like it was back in cheeseheadland.

Right now at virtually 5PM, it's a balmy 86F and 47% RH. Totally tolerable, although I'd prefer the RH to be lower. Not high enough to drive me into short pants and a tank top, mind.

Still sporting the trusty sweatpants and an old V-neck. Socks and slippers. Guess I'm a cold-blooded sort!

Cheers,

RR