How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stick":6byx21am said:
Breaking news... the UK has finally succumbed to the biblical scale floods and has sunk. It's every man for themselves over here chaps.
Thank God the Royal Navy is in tip top shape and ready to move refugees to the mainland.......

(teehee)

Seriously, best of luck to you and your fellows!

Stick":iqr95slw said:
Breaking news... the UK has finally succumbed to the biblical scale floods and has sunk. It's every man for themselves over here chaps.
My mate Ian lives up Halifax way had his local village center literally wiped out in the floods. And this comes after the floods of '12 which also affected the village.

Many shops and residences affected. And some of them don't have insurance since they got canceled by their previous carrier! Looks like they are well and truly screwed!

:monkey:

No Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":rf2sid7y said:
Stick":rf2sid7y said:
My mate Ian lives up Halifax way had his local village center literally wiped out in the floods. And this comes after the floods of '12 which also affected the village.

Many shops and residences affected. And some of them don't have insurance since they got canceled by their previous carrier! Looks like they are well and truly screwed!

:monkey:

No Cheers,

RR
It's been really tough for large areas of the UK this year, with the rainfall for Dec being almost double the previous records in many parts, especially in the north around your mate Ian. Sadly, many were hit hard just before Christmas and just as they got to their feet they hit twice as hard again. I know I adopted a lighted stance above, but boy am I glad I don't live on a flood plain. I can't imagine what many folks are going through right now.

Been sunny, dry, and cold here in the Pac NW the past few days. I like the sunny and dry part but not the cold. 

And then today late morning it started getting very windy in my hood. Had some rather large limbs breaking off the trees and onto my house. Right now the yard is a mess with limbs and branches.

Was fully expecting to lose power but the lights never flickered! I was right ready to fire up the new genny but never had to. Winds have pretty much calmed down now fortunately.

Oddly, when I went into the brewery this AM the winds were almost calm all morning, even when I went back into town around noon. The difference in elevation is about 500' between the brewery and my 'hood but that made all the difference. 

Stick":9qk89p7g said:
It's been really tough for large areas of the UK this year, with the rainfall for Dec being almost double the previous records in many parts, especially in the north around your mate Ian. Sadly, many were hit hard just before Christmas and just as they got to their feet they hit twice as hard again. I know I adopted a lighted stance above, but boy am I glad I don't live on a flood plain. I can't imagine what many folks are going through right now.

Right you are Squire. My mate Ian has been keeping me apprised of his local situation. Here's a c&p of the e-mail I got from him today-

Talk about Yorkshire Grit and determination, the Dusty Miller was open for New Year's Eve last night!

I skivvied off work a bit early and took the 5.09pm bus up Cragg Vale to the Robin Hood last night on the basis there was no chance of getting a drink in the village and came back three pints later on the 6.17pm bus - the last one of the day, intending to go home. However there was a rumor at the Robin that the Dusty Miller was opening.  Well when I got there, written in the condensation on the window was "Open - use back door". Well it would have been rude not to go check it out and support them and by early evening I was actually drinking in a pub in the village. A very nice pint of Vocation Chop & Change Topaz it was too, served by vertical extraction from a cask immediately below the hand pump into a plastic "glass".

No central heating on, only one plastic table and a few plastic garden chairs and the food was two large pans of chili and stew on propane burners served into cardboard containers with plastic cutlery, with cold rice and chick pea curry from a Sikh centre for the veggies. I got chatting to a woman and then ran into an ex-colleague and stayed until about 00.45 this morning!

Given the water level marked on the wall was about 4 inches above the top of my head five days earlier it was nothing short of a miracle. One of the staff had dressed in a suit complete with black bow tie, but it was a bit incongruous to see him wearing green wellies and eating out of a cardboard pot with plastic fork! The pub was close to packed and even at midnight there were still children in. It was more like a big family party at a village community centre than a pub on new year's eve!

Happy new year.
Ian

Looks like your fellow brits have plenty of pluck, don't they David?

;)

Cheers,

RR

Rande, that was a fantastic read. Fair play to your mate Ian. He knows how to sniff out a pint in the most challenging circumstances. Top marks to the land lord too. As they say, 'business as usual'.

I'm glad some of you snow lovers are getting some, but I hope I don't see any here!

Blackhorse":x20z5smy said:
Yeah. Well for Portland Winter snow = Summer water.
I understand; fortunately, I'm pretty sure this part of NC should have fairly full aquifers right now!

Looking out the window, it's a pretty day, but it's 17 degrees F (or -9 C if you prefer). That is a ludicrous temperature for this part of the world!

Oops, I see it's now warmed up to 19....:lol!:

DrT999":5djnssl1 said:
Looking out the window, it's a pretty day, but it's 17 degrees F (or -9 C if you prefer).  That is a ludicrous temperature for this part of the world!

Could be worse, could be 11... 8)

eklektos44":mcaaut63 said:
DrT999":mcaaut63 said:
Looking out the window, it's a pretty day, but it's 17 degrees F (or -9 C if you prefer).  That is a ludicrous temperature for this part of the world!

Could be worse, could be 11... 8)
True, but that fact that it could be worse doesn't make me feel all that much warmer! ;)

It was short pants weather all the day long here. Ibrought a sweater just in case, but it was tied sround my waist all day. My condolences to the folk in the northern hemisphere! :lol!:

01-16-snow_zpsylzn8qt9.jpg

It won't amount to much (it doesn't show, but it is still coming down lightly), but it's too much for here!