How was your weather today?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Happy to report there have been no windstorms, flooding, or heavy snows here in my little area of the Pac NW lately. Been sort of chilly with rain and showers, occasional sun breaks. 

OTOH the Cascades have taken quite a lot of snow, which is good for the skiers and snowboarders. Not to mention the owners of the ski areas who make all their yearly living off several short months/year. Last year was a total bust for them due to the lack of snow. In fact many of them never even opened. 

I don't ski so all of that doesn't appeal to me (I once did as a youngun'), but the positive aspect of this means that the drought is over for the time being, and the mountain reservoirs are full as well as the normal snow depth. This is essential to the farming areas east of the Cascades, which produce much fruit and more importantly hops! 

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":0x4hncd4 said:
Happy to report there have been no windstorms, flooding, or heavy snows here in my little area of the Pac NW lately. Been sort of chilly with rain and showers, occasional sun breaks. 

OTOH the Cascades have taken quite a lot of snow, which is good for the skiers and snowboarders. Not to mention the owners of the ski areas who make all their yearly living off several short months/year. Last year was a total bust for them due to the lack of snow. In fact many of them never even opened. 

I don't ski so all of that doesn't appeal to me (I once did as a youngun'), but the positive aspect of this means that the drought is over for the time being, and the mountain reservoirs are full as well as the normal snow depth. This is essential to the farming areas east of the Cascades, which produce much fruit and more importantly hops! 

:cheers:

Cheers,

RR
Good to hear.......

If Billy Chinook is topped off it makes things better on the Deschutes. I've got a guiding/drift trip planned for it this year... Don't want to disappoint the clients......

Winter has finally arrived in force here in NE Ohio.

6 inches from midnight though about 4am last night, four more inches in the last two hours, and another 8-12 coming between now and noon tomorrow. So, pretty much what we'd expect in January around these parts.

We'll be paying for that warm Nov/Dec for a while - most of our snow is driven by the "Lake Effect" which is always a threat when Lake Erie hasn't frozen over yet, so I expect my shovels and blowers will see plenty of use in the next few weeks.

Fortunately, I'm the kind of idiot that loves the snow so I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Ozark Wizard":djsdxddr said:
4 degrees and sunny...... A bit of a breeze too.
Since I doubt you mean Celsius, I don't feel quite as bad about the below-freezing temps here. Still, the average temp would put us well into the 40s. Oh well, the predictions were for a colder than normal January here!

Last night it started raining, yet it was around 20 degrees F. This morning went out to feed and dealt with a nice half inch glaze on everything. The forest looked like a surreal metal etching. Also noticed that the vehicles are sealed shut, and had plans to go into the closest town's post office and then off to some elderly folks' place to cut them some firewood.

Probably not a great day to wander through the pucker brush with a running chainsaw, as foot traction is down to almost nothing.

Be careful on the ice! Snowing here, but hopefully it won't amount to much today; it might accumulate on Friday though!

I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few odds and ends, and the place was full!  It seemed like 3/4 of the people there were in panic mode over the upcoming storm (worst case scenario here, most roads might be closed for 36 hours starting sometime well after midnight).  Bread, gone; bottled water, gone; milk 80% gone; coke products (except coke 0) 90% gone; pepsi products, 50% gone; bananas, 95% gone (good thing I didn't need any of those products!).  If more of the beer had been gone (maybe 25% was gone), it would have looked like New Orleans preparing for a Category 2 hurricane.

DrT999":7ksyu3z3 said:
I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few odds and ends, and it the place was full!  It seemed like 3/4 of the people there were in panic mode over the upcoming storm (worst case scenario here, most roads might be closed for 36 hours starting sometime well after midnight).  Bread, gone; bottled water, gone; milk 80% gone; coke products (except coke 0) 90% gone; pepsi products, 50% gone; bananas, 95% gone (good thing I didn't need any of those products!).  If more of the beer had been gone (maybe 25% was gone), it would have looked like New Orleans preparing for a Category 2 hurricane.
Amazing how that happens. Bread and milk gone off the shelves in a heartbeat. Happens here as well when a major storm is forecast.

Not to make light of what you folks are facing, and the news has been all over the storms forecast for the NE sector. Hope you folks can hunker down and come through with minimal issues. I don't envy you your situation.

:no:

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":8w7646g2 said:
DrT999":8w7646g2 said:
I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a few odds and ends, and it the place was full!  It seemed like 3/4 of the people there were in panic mode over the upcoming storm (worst case scenario here, most roads might be closed for 36 hours starting sometime well after midnight).  Bread, gone; bottled water, gone; milk 80% gone; coke products (except coke 0) 90% gone; pepsi products, 50% gone; bananas, 95% gone (good thing I didn't need any of those products!).  If more of the beer had been gone (maybe 25% was gone), it would have looked like New Orleans preparing for a Category 2 hurricane.
Amazing how that happens. Bread and milk gone off the shelves in a heartbeat. Happens here as well when a major storm is forecast.

Not to make light of what you folks are facing, and the news has been all over the storms forecast for the NE sector. Hope you folks can hunker down and come through with minimal issues. I don't envy you your situation.

:no:
True, up in the mountains west of here as well as further north they could have a very miserable time over the next few days. Here should be okay if we keep power and don't have to go out before Saturday evening or Sunday

20 degrees and snowing it's a@@ off. This is going to be fun....

NFu3WU.jpg

It's currently mostly stopped here, about 1/4 inch of wet snow over an equal amount of slush which will no doubt soon freeze. Of course, it's supposed to continue on and off for the next 24-28 hours, so we'll see where things finish up!

typical 1" of snowfall creating mass hysteria with the southern idiots. I still haven't figured out what the heck they do when they do home with just bread and milk that they all seem to buy at the first forecast of precipitation. :shock:

My best wished for you folks up the East Coast. Hope y'all got yer schtick together and hunker down and keep warm, safe and dry!

hobie1dog":9ohk0luo said:
typical 1" of snowfall creating mass hysteria with the southern idiots.  I still haven't figured out what the heck they do when they do home with just bread and milk that they all seem to buy at the first forecast of precipitation. :shock:
Yea, we got a foot, and now it's sleeting.

Ozark Wizard":mcwmbztr said:
My best wished for you folks up the East Coast. Hope y'all got yer schtick together and hunker down and keep warm, safe and dry!
I'm home now, off this weekend. And don't plan on going out till they clear the roads.