I cannot believe it is already football season again

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rob_In_MO":08leenel said:
And once again, the Rams are going to suck...

:lol!: 
I watch "The Evil Mike Tomlin" on twitter, his posts are always hilarious. He hits the Browns pretty hard, which I immediately forward to my two colleagues who are from Ohio and are long suffering Brownies. Here's a recent one:

"The NFL pre-Season has begun and the Browns are already mathematically eliminated from the play-offs"."

He was in rare form last night (The Evil Mike Tomlin)
"Our receiving corps looks more beat up than Precious" (commenting on the Steelers game)

Browns humour never get old:
"Browns start another season of laughter tonight"

And there's no ignoring the Ravens, particularly Joe Flacco:
"New Ravens receivers are still trying to figure out what Joe Flacco's 'throw the ball real high and get a pass interference penalty' play is"

Yak":hmgv84zg said:
Pittsburgh Perspective : Baseball is a b*tch who will wind you all the way up & then break your heart. It's nice while it lasts, but if you're surprised when it goes from August giddiness to a pointed reminder by season's end that life-eats-sh*t-and-then-you-die, you're not from around here.

Sure, they're selling out every game. Bless their hearts. And everybody's loving it. But nobody's really expecting anything more than maybe a winning season for the first time in 21 years. Once bitten, twice shy. Twice bitten, we'll believe it when we see it.
Fair and real assessment.   Having my attention drawn back east to watch the Bucs do their thing though, the drama and promise are well worth the price of admission for this West Coast Kid.   :D 

Still hoping for at least the playoffs!  

8)

"Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings."     - George Will.  

"Baseball suits the character of this democratic nation. Democracy is government by persuasion – that means it requires patience, that means it involves a lot of compromise. Democracy is the slow politics of the half loaf. Baseball is the game of the long season, where small, incremental differences decide who wins and who loses particular games, series, seasons. You know when a season starts that the best team is going to get beaten a third of the time, worst team’s going to win a third of the time, the argument, over 162 games is that middle third. So it’s a game that you can’t like if winning is everything…and democracy is that way, too."     - you guessed it, George Will again.

"I grew up in Champaign, Illinois, midway between Chicago and St. Louis. At an age too tender for life-shaping decisions, I made one. While all my friends were becoming Cardinals fans, I became a Cub fan. My friends, happily rooting for Stan Musial, Red Schoendienst and other great Redbirds, grew up cheerfully convinced that the world is a benign place, so of course, they became liberals. Rooting for the Cubs in the late 1940s and early 1950s, I became gloomy, pessimistic, morose, dyspeptic and conservative...Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be Cub fans"     - guess who?     :lol: :lol: :lol: 

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Baseball is probably the only accurate reflection of reality there is any more.

:face: 

Yak":s1r4i2a4 said:
Baseball is probably the only accurate reflection of reality there is any more.

:face: 
Yep.

And I forgot to mention...with a record like the Giants had pre-2010, and what they're doing now (...what I could now name "Post 2012" and getting back to what one might consider "normal"), if the Pirates manage to pull some crazy stunt out of their collective caps and get someplace...playoffs...World Series...out of nowwhere hating and chiding will resonate around the baseball world, all of the nay-sayers who stayed true with their shaking heads would finally eat the "I told you so's," and the Bucs won't be the quaint almost-underdogs any more.  Then, wild expectations will hover over them and the other side will look at the past to justify their doubts to balance out the experience.   I'm not sure if I wish that upon them or if they're good doing what they might be expected to do--stoking the fire just to let it burn out early.   It's complicated being in the spotlight out of nowhere!

But...what...

...IF...

(fun-fun-fun)

Here's hoping.

:D  :whyI'mnotayankeesfan:

8)

MisterE":thq6zj69 said:
^Didn't some dude rage quit a while back after proclaiming futbol was for sissies?
Rage quitting is for sissies!
Running around the pitch for 90 minutes, falling occasionally for no good reason, and not having to wait around for minutes while some refs try to figure out if something was a forward lateral, or did the guy have position in bounds, that's football (futbol)!!
Gooooooooooaaaaaalllll!!!!!!