I have heard of some guys who

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch

Reaction score
Smoke the rest of there cigar tobacco out of there pipe. Any of you do that. To me that sounds disgusting. End of the cigar starts to taste bitter and harsh due to all the oils and stuff.

While I've never heard of anyone doing that, or really know why they would want to, I do recall as I was growing up, an "Old Timer" buying cigars about the same diameter as the chamber of his pipe and smoking them in it. He'd simply stick the cigar in the pipe, cut it off flush with the rim and light up!

When I was on the streets I 've done that! Ken :D :tongue:
Pacem en Puffing! :tongue:

I grew up in an Italian neighborhood and can remember the old Italian
shoemaker smoking cigars in a bent pipe.I thought it was gross then and
I doubt if I will ever see that again,it's a big deal if I see anyone smoking
a pipe in public anymore. :|

Winslow :sunny:

ok that was what I was thinking. I thought I was missing something.

Saw it a bunch in my younger days. A whole cigar stuck in the bowl and smoked that way. Problem is that the cigar usually smokes hotter than pipe tobacco and can burn out the bowl rather quickly. This point came up when I visited Boswell's last spring. J.M. mentioned that one of his customers complained about his Boswell-carved pipe burning out. JM replaced it twice before the customer remarked that he smoked cigars in the pipe, not pipe tobacco! No more replacement pipes!!!!!!! Now.....If you are hell bent on smoking a cigar in a pipe, get a Meer; preferably a cheroot meer with the bowl insert for your cigar. FTRPLT

I do it sometimes if I'm seduced by the cigar. But with aligator clips, not a pipe!

I have also heard of people doing it, but have not seen it. I tried it once. Not to my liking. I usually smoke my cigars down to the nub with just my finger tips.

There are some blends that have cigar tobacco as part of the mix. There was a blend from Levin Pipes in NY (no longer in business I heard) that I tried and liked quite a bit. The cigar tobacco didn´t dominate at all. For fun I´ve made my own blends with cigar tobacco and they really didnt turnout so well. A whole cigar in the bowl, though!? Never occurred to me...

I grind up cigars that are a little bit dried out or of lesser quality and I mix them with pipe tobacco blends that already have small amounts of cigar leaf. I guess it kind of stretches out my tobacco supply....

I was in Syracuse, NY last week for the "Little Big Smoke" and got a bunch of cigars (and won six bottles of Stoli's Vodka!) that I'll sort through and I'm sure I'll be grinding a few of them up this weekend.

My good cigars stay in one of three humidors that I have at home.

PS: I would never stick a whole cigar in a pipe. If I want a cigar I'll smoke a cigar. If I want a pipe, I'll smoke a pipe.

Some italian pipe smokers do that, especially the older ones. They use Toscano cigars, which are made with italian kentucky tobacco- they crumble them and smoke them in their pipes. I've tried it several times, it's actually pretty tasty but a hell of a nicotine kick. I must admit that smoking a piece of a Toscano cigar in my pipe, accompanied by an espresso coffee on a hot, sunny morning in Italy is really a sublime experience :D

When I was younger, I worked with an older Italian gentleman who smoke DiNapoli cigars...terrible smell. When he smoked them down, he cut off the ash and used the butt for chewing tobacco or smoked them in an old corn cob

My old man used to cut off the ash tip of Cigar butts and mix them with Rum&Maple pipe tobacco. He was known for stretching a dollar in those days and guess that was his way of stretching his baccy.

I smoke quite a few cigars, when I clip the cap/head (mostly the flavorful wrapper) I save them and every few months I mix them with a bit of EMP and enjoy. I have had some cigars that were so badly plugged that I've chopped up too. :shock:

Winslow":hpfyzw1g said:
I grew up in an Italian neighborhood and can remember the old Italian
shoemaker smoking cigars in a bent pipe.I thought it was gross then and
I doubt if I will ever see that again,it's a big deal if I see anyone smoking
a pipe in public anymore. :|

Winslow :sunny:
I experienced a similar sight a while back on Brady Street in Milwaukee at an old Italian bar. This old codger (looked like he was well into his 70s and had survived a rough life) was smoking one of those dark, dry-cured cigars (you know the ones, they look like old poodle turds). He sucked it down to a short, wet, nasty stump, crammed it into what looked like an old Dr. Grabow that hadn't been cleaned in a decade or more, and smoked it down to ash. It was wet and kept bubbling and spitting, just about grossed out everyone at the bar (and we weren't exactly a high-society cultured bunch).

The bartender leaned over to me and quietly said (he's only in his mid-20s, see what that does to a person?). I almost fell off my stool laughing.

Natch