I just tried GL Pease Navigator

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Weiss

Reaction score
...I got it from some guy in the future, who traveled to February, 2013 and threw it through a singularity and it ended up in my pipe one day. Weird, huh?

So, about Navigator. It's supposed to be officially released soon, and I already know it's going to be a winner with many of you.

I had to go through three bowls of the stuff just to get a handle on much of what I was tasting (and get past what I was not tasting, incidentally). The cut is that signature chunky-style of broken flake that I actually adore about GLP mixtures and blends, and it came to me a little on the moist side. The smell is mellow-sweet, and very "wild" smelling.

My first bowl was a bit of an un-broke stallion: I swear all I got was a mouthful of Perique--but, there's no Perique in here. I was getting strong tastes of that funky leaf that screws up my tongue...I thought I was doomed. Below that, however, I got flavors of coriander, hops, and a nice earthy mellowness. There's a leathery "headiness" that was extremely smooth and lovely. The nicotine was steady and perfectly contemplative. Needless to say, beyond my Perique-like reaction, I did smoke the whole darned thing.

On the second bowl, I had learned (from the time-traveler) that it's mostly Virginia, spiced with Kentucky dark fired, rum and then pressed and fermented. One of my thoughts went immediately toward the Kentucky, because, as I understand, there's a fake Perique-like leaf that is made from Kentucky, and treated much the same. This isn't a component of the tobacco, this fake Perique, but it did shed light onto why there is fake Perique, as it may have Perique-like qualities--which, makes sense that my palate would misinterpret Kentucky in general, be it really good stuff or a doppelganger. The overwhelming flavor subsided quite a bit the second round, and I used a different pipe. The coriander, hops and earthy mellowness was much more pronounced, and joined by a faint molasses.

Am I crazy? Probably. But I did let my friend James try a little, and said I nothing, just told him to smoke it: he said, "Ah, nice Perique in there!" *sigh* So, my friends are crazy, too. Great. :( He loved the stuff, and I wouldn't give him any more. I still had work to do.

The third try of Navigator almost put me on my ass. I was head-spinnin', and it was good...but I'm not sure it's for me--but I can't put it down. Navigator never gave up the rum ghost to my tongue at all. Not even a little bit. Usually I can tell when it's there (Sextant, by example, which I really like). Beyond that, whatever the "Periqueness" is, the KY influence or merely a coincidental clash of accidents that originally dulled my palate. Is it just me, or am I getting whiffs of bacon off this stuff? I'm getting it. This third smoke is very much improved for me. I'm still getting a bit of tarry-tires, but boom, a bunch of stewed figs and herb-like, almost peaty, staunchness started flaring up now and again. I chose a Peterson this time, rubbed it out thoroughly, and dried the pipeful before loading. It's also raining today, making the normally arid Northern Nevada basin a tad humid. Really, really nice.

I may like it after all.

So, "complex" is a thin description. "Different" is also not right, because there's been a push lately for blenders to go for this dark, pressed and fired leaf: one tobacco sub-genre I'm super into. Navigator is not a beginner's pipeweed, it's a challenge for an intermediate smoker (myself) and I can practically make a list of the guys who are gonna love it (think those who are into Oriental Dusk, Mac B Old Dark Fired, etc). Perique guys? Those of you who are super into it? I'd be curious, once it comes out, what you think.

I'm going to pick up a couple of tins, because like Jackknife, I am not scared of a strong tobacco. I'm not afraid to work and tinker with flavor, especially with quality leaf (which this is). It's going to be a great release by GLP, and surely will have its lovers, haters, and everything in-between (as it goes with this hobby). It'll be worth grabbing some for those that are curious.

Thanks again, time-traveler, you made my day, and...challenge accepted. I have only begun to smoke! :lol:

8)

Cool, you got a preview! I really liked Sextant (much to the chagrin of Mrs. E) so I bet I'll enjoy this one too. It's funny, the so-called rum topping of Sextant was very mild to my taste buds. It'll be interesting to see how it figures in this one.

Once the weird, slow rusty-saw noise disappeared, and I was faced with a man coming out of a blue telephone box to deliver what I only could assume was tobacco, I was overjoyed to be a "previewer."

This stuff is going to shake things up, and timing couldn't be better--a great winter smoke! I swear it's been doing better with it being rainy around here--the flavor dynamics are wicked-neat. You'll probably dig it, E.

8)

Very interesting. I have been keeping an eye out for its release.

I am a big fan of VA/Dark Fired blends. Pease's Cumberland is fantastic. Solani 660 is simply superb. Whenever I venture out from these blends, I always fond myself coming back to them.

Great review, Kyle.

Put me down for a pound.

I wonder if the alcohol changes the fermentation?

I have been anxiously awaiting it's release. Now, instead of 1 tin I suppose I will have to get 2 or 3!

Thanks for the review Kyle. Cool that you got to test drive some!

Hahaha, Carlos...there's a thickness and non-Latakia smokiness to it that gave me some whiffs of bacon...not sure if it was momentary or a component (it just happened in one bowl)...but it's worth pursuing in the name of bacon! :cheers:

Sir Dottle: my aversion to Perique (beyond just a mere, gentle sprinkling), one that is well-known and documented, should answer that question easily--I haven't tried Triple Play, and haven't much intent to do so. :p Sorry, my friend.

8)

Awaiting some tins incoming from smokingpipes. Sounds like a take on JackKnife Plug with nic volume turned down and a bit of rum thrown into the mix. Looking forward to it as JKP is a decided favorite. :bounce:

Another great review Kyle! Thanks for the heads up. :cheers:

You'll have to forgive me--I had some planned radio-silence to get my brain in order a little, diminish the distractions and figure a few things out beyond the pipeworld.

What brought me back for a must-post is Navigator.

I grabbed a tin, my first since the preview I rambled about in the earlier post, from my local Tinder Box which was stuck for a "theme" for their monthly pipe party. Being one of the few there that isn't into aromatics, it was wonderful. Navigator, Embarcadero, Key Largo, etc. Those that got into 'em loved 'em.

My tin was opened, and smoked every day, twice a day, since late last Friday. No regrets.

The same notes of a molasses-dipped rasher of bacon greeted me, which reminded me my curiosity of this stuff in the first place. What's more, the tinning of the flakes did WONDERS, with no hesitation to say as such. It toned down a bit of the Kentucky roughness I encountered with the first go-round sample. Not to mention, they're beautifully presented like slices of a tiny, tobacco prime rib in the tin. There's a light, white pepper spicy, dry and cedar like notes, mixed with wheat, roast pork fat (seeing a trend here--I must have caught Greg casing his tobacco with porcine). There's also some allspice, a hint of thyme...topped off with that nose of molasses (the rum, I guess). Needless to say, even better than before. Or my tongue got with the program. Or both.

For those not into "liquor topped" tobacco, have no fear...it's a fleeting scent, rather than a solid taste. Beyond that, it's a merry-go-round of good Virginia and Kentucky in the saddles. This could be an all-pleaser to fellas (and ladies, particularly Beetlejazz) here. The nic-kick is up there, not quite rope-levels, less than Jackknife, probably more like MacB's ODF--so be prepared. The not-Latakia dark fired stuff really rides in and out pleasantly, and with the smoke scent, marrying of flavors, would do well almost any season, too.

Good stuff. Go get you some, or crack your tin--freshness vs aging may change the profile, but it's delicious at a young stage, for the record.

8)

Saturday. Hit the C&D stand at the Chicago show and get several large tins. Then a handful or two of the 2oz size. This is at the top of the list.

Given your reviews Kyle, I'm thinking maybe Greg misnamed this one. Should have gone with Hog Wild :lol:

Thanks again Kyle.

I have worked my way through one tin and I find it to be really delicious stuff. Will be interesting to see what age does to it.

Yes, I can totally see reducing his fancy tobacco labels from sophisticated names to some hayseed colloquialism. :lol: Though, with the name "Hog Wild," I can imagine the graphic being some cracked-out cartoon pig wearing a straw hat, juggling onions and garlic, lots of red in the background, and the whole thing looking like a tin of barbecue sauce.

Which would totally work for this mix, I hate to say. :lol: Poor Greg. :tongue:

Funny business aside, still probably one of the most eye-opening, pleasant surprises I've taken on in tobacco in quite a while.