I love POT (the pipe shape that is!)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the nicest example of the Pot shape is Savanelli's 121 which is what I would call a 1/8th bent. They have it available in just about ALL of their model ranges. I have 2 from the " deLuxe" range I bought back in the '80s as well as one Erica Fiamme model as is shown here at smokingpipes.com:

002-033-64401.jpg

The mouthpieces are nice and wide ( about 9/16") and thin which I like for use with full dentures :p And this slight bend allows 'em to be "clenched" easily !

Lovely pipes all around, I especially dig the 9493's and the square shanked pieces in that photo, Greg. Within the past months I, too, have fallen in love with the sturdy pot. What's not to love? My Ruthenberg pot is a fantastic smoker! If any of you gents care to see it I'll post some photos below. She loves a good VA/Per just as much as a straight VA, though I think I'll end up keeping it as a VA/Per burner.

As for the Castello 55's though, I'm more than weird. The shape itself is beautiful, but some of the finishes and arrangements Castello offers them in can be off putting at times, oh well -- Different strokes!

glpease":ih18ihth said:
scottbtdmb":ih18ihth said:
Figures you would mention a 9493. I just missed out on this beauty on ebay (GBD 9483). I am still working my way through a box of kleenex over missing this pipe!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/260945661517?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_720wt_1141
A nice one, but a 9483. The 9493 has a longer shank, and a lovat-like, short saddle stem. Here are some (the middle four):

GBD5.jpg

It's a really neat shape, in that it combines the best features of the pot with the best features of the lovat.
Yes, I realized they were different models, but must say that the 9493 is absolutely to die for. I am a HUGE GBD fan and the fact that I don't have one in my favorite shape frustrates me. I suppose the greatest fun of the journey is the search itself, so I will continue to search until I find the right one. On a side note, this thread has opened my eyes up to a lot of great info regarding my favorite shape and gives me something to focus on with my collecting. Good to see that there are other "pot" heads around these parts :lol:

-Scott

itsKot":u4j9l67i said:
Lovely pipes all around, I especially dig the 9493's and the square shanked pieces in that photo, Greg. Within the past months I, too, have fallen in love with the sturdy pot. What's not to love? My Ruthenberg pot is a fantastic smoker! If any of you gents care to see it I'll post some photos below. She loves a good VA/Per just as much as a straight VA, though I think I'll end up keeping it as a VA/Per burner.

As for the Castello 55's though, I'm more than weird. The shape itself is beautiful, but some of the finishes and arrangements Castello offers them in can be off putting at times, oh well -- Different strokes!

Yow! That's a stellar piece. Brian makes beautiful pipes, and they're constructed superbly. Very, very nice. Yeah, a little pipe envy going on, now. But, that's a good thing.

As far as 55s go, there are some weird ones, for sure. What I love about them is that even though it's a catalogue shape, the variety is surprising. With something like a prince, even a slight deviation can turn it into something else, but the 55 lends itself to more exploration without morphing into something it's not meant to be, if that makes sense. But, the basic Sea Rock 55 is a smoking machine, and tends to be pretty conventional. Usually.

I to think the Castelo 55 is a unique Pot the only thing that I have a problem with is the width and thickness of the current Italian pipe makers such as Ardor, Castello, Chacom etall as compared to the older British made bits on the GBD's, BBB's Charatan's and such. Maybe it's all due to the use of Acrylic stems as opposed to the Ebonite as was used by these makers (and Savanelli today). I find the newer bits as made by many of the Italian makers to narrow and thick for comdort in my mouth. JMHO and experience. :p

glpease":ppgc921z said:
As far as 55s go, there are some weird ones, for sure. What I love about them is that even though it's a catalogue shape, the variety is surprising. With something like a prince, even a slight deviation can turn it into something else, but the 55 lends itself to more exploration without morphing into something it's not meant to be, if that makes sense. But, the basic Sea Rock 55 is a smoking machine, and tends to be pretty conventional. Usually.
That is an excellent point you bring up about he 55's versatility, it really is second to none. It can really take off with just the slightest of changes, it truly is timeless. As for the pipe envy, I have the same to be said of your collection, the feeling's mutual; though I dare say I feel very honored to have caught your eye with my very own pipe.

I love the 55, but right now, this little Caminetto pot is really doing it for me:

Zeno Marx":uwvvxscr said:
I wondered who ended up with that Caminetto. Sharp.
Thanks! It almost didn't make over from Italy though.
It was floating around in the international mail system for over a month before it was delivered.
I had given up on it...

I never thought too much about the pot shape up until I read through this thread and now I'll have you know that I've just purchased a rusticated Randy Wiley bent pot no more than 5 minutes ago (it was down to two Wiley pipes and just as I was making my choice the other was purchased right before my eyes! Click refresh and then "Sorry, out of stock". Gotta love it, not much more says it wasn't meant to be than that) so for all the participants of this thread and whoever bought the other Wiley I thank you for making me realize the simple, classic beauty of a pot.
Pictures to follow when it gets here :)

That would largely go to Greg--to heck with his "silly walk" Ministry, he's shown quite a few times the common sense and appreciative viewpoint into the underdogs and lost thoughts of the pipe world since I've been here. It's funny, just when you think you have an opinion or decision, Greg comes along and makes you again scratch your chin in thought and consideration. 8)

I have been looking at pots for a little while, though I could never find one that appealed to me. But that savinelli looks amazing. The bulldog I have been looking for will have to come first, if I can ever find it. I hate having to choose between pipes, I wish that I could just get them all.

christeaux":fikgcj1f said:
I wish that I could just get them all.
Nah, it isn't as satisfying as it sounds. After that short plateau of pleasure, there's a huge drop-off of discontent. Don't discount or underestimate the greatest value of the journey.

Zeno Marx":13mpgth9 said:
christeaux":13mpgth9 said:
I wish that I could just get them all.
Nah, it isn't as satisfying as it sounds. After that short plateau of pleasure, there's a huge drop-off of discontent. Don't discount or underestimate the greatest value of the journey.
Brilliant statement. 8)

The pot has been one of my favorite shapes both in the classic style and the 55. I've always liked the look of the group 2-3 sized pots from Dunhill, but the 55 is by far my overall favorite between the two. Here's a couple of mine:

Rad Davis' take on the shape:
rad-001.jpg

rad-002.jpg

rad-003.jpg

Castello "Castello" KKKK
castellokkkk.jpg

And here's the one I keep kicking myself for not getting when I had the chance. The Sea Rock and white stem just look great! /cry

castellorock-001.jpg

castellorock-002.jpg

castellorock-003.jpg

I really enjoy seeing all your great Pots. My second acquisition after I started pipe smoking again, has been a Pot, and it´s still one of my preferred pipes.

Noske_Pot_Poster_web.jpg
Kind regards
Thilo

THAT is one GEORGEOUS Pot !! That has a PERFECT wide/thin bit!! Beautiful grain all around that thing :p That is just STUNNING!!!

The Randy Wiley I got from smokingpipes.com, normally I'd post my own picture but it's taking too damn long to get here! The wait is killing me. With the straight grain shown on the little smooth bit at the end of the shank I can only wonder what the rest of the pipe would have looked like if left 100% smooth. I think he made the right choice rusticating it the way he did though.

You made a good choice !!! I like that blast on it and it is one of my favorite shapes, VERY similar to a 121 Savanelli one of my favorite versions of the Pot style !! I'm sure you will like how it smokes and will be adding to your Pot collection :p