I may be a Flake Guy!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velveteagle

Reaction score
Being new to the real pipe blends it seems after picking up the pipe after years. I was gifted many blends from a nice fellow BoB. I have not found one I really do not like yet. I have two tins I have not yet opened. But I must say this the flakes have got me good. I had my first bowl of J.F. Germain Brown Flake this morning and I was in heaven. It is now at the top of my gotta have order list. The only other flake that comes close was the Navy Flake by Mac Baren. I know I have many to try out yet. And also after brunch I tried out a tin of Blue Note Dan's Tobacco it had a wonderful smell and taste of vanilla and I felt like it was coconut and some added fruity nip. This aromatic was just fine after a meal. The tins look as if they have been around for some time.. Had this clear special tape around them. Just wanted to share my delight.. :cheers:
Chuck

This is a GOOD thing!!!! :cheers:
I tend to drift towards flake tobaccos myself.
SG FVF / Solani 633 / Reiner LGF / Dan Limerick etc.

DoverPipes":chfgbo6p said:
I am sold on Flake.. I keep hearing about this SG FVF ??? I think Piet keeps some on him until bedtime ! I will have to order some next time I shop online..
Thanks Dover... :cheers:

velveteagle":x8cfi0bm said:
DoverPipes":x8cfi0bm said:
I am sold on Flake.. I keep hearing about this SG FVF ??? I think Piet keeps some on him until bedtime ! I will have to order some next time I shop online..
Thanks Dover... :cheers:
Good luck finding it.
If you want a "wee" sample, PM me.

Gawaith NAvy Flake is fantastic.I fought the flake battle for a long time FVF turned me off becuase it made me sick.Then I tried Gawaith and man I was hooked.Right now in the U.S> It is extinc. I have one Tin in the Cellar and I wont open it untill I acn replace it.

Before I joined BoB, McClelland broken flakes made up a large part of my tobaccos, with 2015, St. James Woods, Blackwoods Flake, Christmas Cheer, etc being predominant. The few English tobaccos that I smoked then were mostly ready-rubbed and ribbon cut, including about 4 Dunhill blends plus a couple from McClelland. Since then, under the tutelage of the brothers, I have branched out to include Stokebyes "Luxury" flakes, Bullseye, Twist and my new favorite Navy Flake. Add to this FVF and Stonehaven (both of which are still pretty well represented in my cellar but smoked less frequently until resupplied) and I guess I am primarily a flake guy as well. Gawaith Navy Flake is not one that I have tried yet but need to add it to my next order.

Hunter5117":s9yomhh6 said:
Before I joined BoB, McClelland broken flakes made up a large part of my tobaccos, with 2015, St. James Woods, Blackwoods Flake, Christmas Cheer, etc being predominant. The few English tobaccos that I smoked then were mostly ready-rubbed and ribbon cut, including about 4 Dunhill blends plus a couple from McClelland. Since then, under the tutelage of the brothers, I have branched out to include Stokebyes "Luxury" flakes, Bullseye, Twist and my new favorite Navy Flake. Add to this FVF and Stonehaven (both of which are still pretty well represented in my cellar but smoked less frequently until resupplied) and I guess I am primarily a flake guy as well. Gawaith Navy Flake is not one that I have tried yet but need to add it to my next order.
Great Info Hunter....
I shall make a list of these blends and have them on the try list.. So much I have to learn.. I like to learn.. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Chuck..

Velvet,

I am definitely a flaker myself, they just look so cool and it's so much fun to pull them apart and have them however you like.

Flakes have the advantage in the sense that there are so many ways to prepare/pack flakes in a pipe.

However, a great quailty ribbon cut still is my favourite... Telegraph Hill, Laurel Heights. Estorica Dunbar, Montgomery, and of course, Haddo's Delight.... come to mind.

Flakes rock VE, you should try to get hold of the mother of all flakes FVF!!!!
I find that there are many more ways to prep flakes for smoking, all with interesting results!!

Piet Binsbergen":efiu4n16 said:
I find that there are many more ways to prep flakes for smoking, all with interesting results!!
Hey Piet I may have gotten lucky last night.. I must have hit a lotto order slot on this tobacco site. It let me order 8oz of FVF last night and sent back a confirm on the order via email.. So I might just be getting a package in soon to try it out.. Crossing fingers.. :cheers: :cheers:

Slow Puffs":8v5hqtzp said:
Flakes have the advantage in the sense that there are so many ways to prepare/pack flakes in a pipe.

However, a great quailty ribbon cut still is my favourite... Telegraph Hill, Laurel Heights. Estorica Dunbar, Montgomery, and of course, Haddo's Delight.... come to mind.
Going to put the Telegraph Hill on the order list Slow Puffs.. Looks like a good blend to try out. Thanks.. :D
Chuck..

velveteagle":9ct3z6cm said:
Piet Binsbergen":9ct3z6cm said:
Hey Piet I may have gotten lucky last night.. I must have hit a lotto order slot on this tobacco site. It let me order 8oz of FVF last night and sent back a confirm on the order via email.. So I might just be getting a package in soon to try it out.. Crossing fingers.. :cheers: :cheers:
Brilliant VE!!!! Well done! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I understand liking the flake. I'm very new to the pipe, but enjoy the flakes I've tried so far. I'm waiting for the FVF to hit shelves again!

You might want to give C&Ds Exhausted Rooster a try, I just started smoking it, and so far it is a winner!

petertschantz":833bl4v1 said:
I understand liking the flake. I'm very new to the pipe, but enjoy the flakes I've tried so far. I'm waiting for the FVF to hit shelves again!

You might want to give C&Ds Exhausted Rooster a try, I just started smoking it, and so far it is a winner!
Got an 08 tin as a gift from JP, have not opened it yet, Have smoked a younger version and I must say I echo your sentiments Pete :cheers:

Piet Binsbergen":16l6l0rj said:
Got an 08 tin as a gift from JP, have not opened it yet, Have smoked a younger version and I must say I echo your sentiments Pete :cheers:
I'll have to try and get some cellared, because it is a great smoke when young!

petertschantz":fbj2xnig said:
Piet Binsbergen":fbj2xnig said:
I'll have to try and get some cellared, because it is a great smoke when young!
Agreed bro, imagine a year or 3 on it!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

petertschantz":kvny9y4r said:
hehehe, I'm going to have to work on making that happen Piet!
Go for it bud!
It would be much easier for you, I live in South Africa, it's areal bitch getting those blends down here 8) :roll: