Instant collection.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
plumbernater":vxx1g2on said:
Did any of yall notice the $65 shipping. Its going to take a big box.
That seems reasonable enough, there is like a ton of pipes and racks in there. I've been burnt of my own doing by setting the shipping too low on auctions in the past. My main concern on this auction is the seller throwing everything in the box(es) together and some decent pipes getting broke stems and whatnot in the process. Just the way they are all dumped there together shows little regard for them.

Simple Man":vq2xezee said:
plumbernater":vq2xezee said:
Did any of yall notice the $65 shipping. Its going to take a big box.
That seems reasonable enough, there is like a ton of pipes and racks in there. I've been burnt of my own doing by setting the shipping too low on auctions in the past. My main concern on this auction is the seller throwing everything in the box(es) together and some decent pipes getting broke stems and whatnot in the process. Just the way they are all dumped there together shows little regard for them.
With 16 racks and about 6 humidors as well as all the pipes, looks like it will be SEVERAL boxes and i would NOT expect the pipes will be packed on an individual basis, I'm sure they will be just dumped into a couple of boxes for sure ! But hey it's only up to $305.00 so far and only 5 more days left to get a lifetimes collection of pipes :twisted:

That is an obscene amount of pipes. I thought I was bad, this guy makes me look like a rank amateur. I would be willing to bet there are some real gems in there. I wonder if you can count how many there are in the pic to make sure he actually ships you all of them. If someone does there own refurbishing, they could probably make some serious coin from that lot.

Heck I have trouble getting around to cleaning the pipes I own. My (bulging) eyeball count on that is about 250 pipes, I'd be cleaning them up for years ...

Idlefellow":462k7qsq said:
Wow; it would be fun to pick through that to see what treasures you might find!
I was thinking the same thing. What a great collection to whoever buys it but I'd be more than happy just to spend an evening looking through the collection. Very curious to see the winning bid.

Well, it's up to $440.00 with 3 days left. I'll bet it goes for around $600.00 when it's all over. Anyone else want to take a guess? :twisted:

Im guessing it will be around $750 give or take. Theres enough pipes ther to make a nice business opportunity for the right person.

I took a closer look at the collection: how I'd love to have had a conversation with the once-owner! Think of the pipe enthousiasm he had and might have expressed. The collection looks like a lot of Grabows and basket pipes for sure, with a half-dozen at least leather covered ones, but there are some very good sandblasts in the mix and plenty of clearly well cut English straight classics. Probably one-fifth of the collection will be good enough to meet anyone's tastes. Well, maybe one-sixth.

I spotted one Charatan stem, but generally I couldn't make out other high-brand lable stems or distinguishing marks--only nice cuts and good blasts that appeal to me.

The gatherer clearly valued quantity over quality, but had a good fraction of quality selected too.

Fun to think over who a person might/must have been by looking at his (her) immense in this case pipe collection.

Seller said it was 400 pipes total. I saw Peterson's, Savs, at least one Comoy, and a ton of other nice looking briars. Whoever bought that lot will be able to triple their money easy.

That's right--four dollars a pipe. Think of it. The purchaser is in for a long lot of fun I'd say.

Puff Daddy":h2ay1h79 said:
$1600. Someone spotted something good in there.
Mebbe. Or it's one of the guys that is willing to pay $1600 for a $200 pipe for bragging rights, and we should find out who it is when they throw all 398 other pipes in the trash for some dumpster-diving PAD. :lol:

8)

If ya got 15 bucks a piece you'd make some serious money flipping and selling them . Looks like a great investment if you own a pipe store.

Sort of. I'd guess 20% of them are too far gone. Plus the time spent on refurbishing them. Pipe store not being likely, if each pipe took an hour to do just right (and you sort of know what you're doing--i.e., not a seasoned pro but a guy who's just trying to make some bucks back), that's a lot of hours. Even if you have the right equipment and know-how. If, minus shipping, you made $10 - $20 a piece (that's if they sold at all), that'd work out to about $12/hr average, maybe over a six month/one year period, especially the packing them up and shipping them to the buyer. Okay for a guy on the skids a little with no family or job, perhaps. Hopefully, in a lot like that, you get a few gems to make up for the bulk of the crap you have to deal with.

It's not easy work, eBaying on the side. Polishing turds for a living takes a special kind. At least they're lighter to carry and easier to box up than synthesizers. :lol:

8)