Italian pipes for aromatics only?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
I recently visited a smoke shop and I was told that Italian pipes are designed for smoking aromatic mixtures and British pipes are intended for smoking English mixtures. I have several Italian pipes and I have had no problems smoking English mixtures through them. Does the country in which a pipe is manufactured have any bearing on the type of tobacco that should be smoked or is the guy at the smoke shop trying to move his stock of Dunhill estate pipes?

I would have to agree with Jordies. While certain tabacs may smoke better or worse in a particular pipe, the nationality of said pipe is not likely the reason for it. There is way too much variety between not only pipes of the same nationality, but even pipes from the same maker.

Perhaps you should consider looking for another tobacconist! :D

He has a pretty vivid imagination.

And apparently a low tolerance for whatever it is that keeps peoples' heads on halfway straight.

:face:

Did he happen to say what sort of tobacco American made pipes are meant to smoke? How about Danish? German? Japanese?, Etc., Etc..... :lol:

Whoever that told you that doesn't know much about pipes.

Rad

That is one of the silliest things I have heard in some time. Just for giggles you should go back and ask Rad's question regarding what genres of pipe tobaccos belong in pipes made in other countries - see if he can pair a specific type of blend with each one.

If that is true then im doing it wrong...but hey I dont care....i smoke whatever in what ever and its made me happy so fr

My Italian pipes seem to work pretty well with most English blends. Come to think of it, flakes too. Even Danish and American blends taste pretty good as well. I must've gotten defective Italian makes. Gee, if I only woulda known!! I coulda saved myself from so many good English smokes in my Italian briars..... Sounds like a bucha BS to me.... :lol:

Unfortunately I haven't had the experience of going to a knowledgeable tobacconist yet. All of the ones I've visited the people behind the counter were not only ignorant but usually condescending. I even had one guy tell me that it was better to have a draft hole drilled above the bottom of the bowl (trying to sell me an over priced, poorly made pipe). Later on in the conversation my friend and I were discussing rotation and I stated that one pipe per day is fine, the guy jumped in with one pipe per bowl is what serious smokers use as a rule of thumb. I said, maybe if your pipes were drilled correctly you wouldn't have to change them out so often.

jhuggett":51sccxi9 said:
I said, maybe if your pipes were drilled correctly you wouldn't have to change them out so often.
DOH! Good one! :lol:

Some stuff still manages to amaze me...... like this......
I have dedicated most of my Italians to burley and Lats!!!!
Have never heard anything so way out!!!! :scratch: :scratch:

jhuggett":ve56x75e said:
I said, maybe if your pipes were drilled correctly you wouldn't have to change them out so often.

Classic! :lol:

Hold on here; there is some truth to certain types of pipes smoking certain tobaccos best. We all (well, almost "all") know that Walnut smokes best in a Chinese plastic bubble pipe, right? :lol:

Natch

Natch":ufugpcyp said:
Hold on here; there is some truth to certain types of pipes smoking certain tobaccos best. We all (well, almost "all") know that Walnut smokes best in a Chinese plastic bubble pipe, right? :lol:

Natch
Well yeah. I think that goes without saying.

:farao:

Among my best VaPer and straight Virginia flake smokers are two Mastro de Pajas and one Cavicchi.

And what about Danish pipes? Should I only smoke MacBaren blends in my Stanwell? Oops, not, they're Italian pipes now.

And what about "English" pipe stummels made with Mediterranean briar?

Really now, what is it about pipespeak that seems to bring out such condescending outright nonsense from some people?

We all (well, almost "all") know that Walnut smokes best in a Chinese plastic bubble pipe, right? :lol:
That was dog shit in the bubble pipe, as I recall. But you were probably close enough -- you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart with your eyes closed. :D

On a serious note, the good Ligurian, Corsician &c. briars of Italy do typically impart a "bright" taste to tobaccos at first, tending to accentuate the treble in mixtures. Some, even when they're broken in.

I was happy smoking FVF in an Italian flake pipe I sent to PeeDee (gotten as a well-broken-in "estate" and smoked for maybe two years here previously, so it had at least a couple thousand on the odometer) -- he ended up going to Haddo's in it, as he wanted some depth out of it he wasn't getting with flakes.

Not all Italian pipes use Italian briar, let alone the best of it. Big outfits like Savinelli import some (at least) of theirs from Greece. But in a "name" Italian, you can pretty much expect it, usually.

:face:

You guys talk so much trash about Walnut I'm gonna have to try it.

What nationality pipe should I use?

I can't think of any nationality of pipe that would make Walnut taste good.

As a maker of pipes, a bringer-forth-from-the-ether, I can say with absolute certainty that my shoe size is 11, unless it's Luchese boots, in which case 9.5 for some reason.

As to pipes, all briar has a slightly different taste (none growing in England afik) and the size of bowl and airway will also play a role in "how a pipe smokes". But to assert that English pipes are for English mixtures is utterly moronic.