it's too cold to smoke...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fumo bro

Reaction score
Smoking outside in the winter sucks! I would like to smoke in the basement or the garage, but I am forbidden to do so. :evil: I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using an EFFECTIVE air purifier. There are a lot of air purifiers on the market, and, from what I have heard, none of them work well. :x

...I rather like being outside in the cold with a pipe, on an unrelated note...

It's a shame a man is forbidden to do many things in his house. Time to build a man cave. 8)

I have a Whirlpool 450 (covers 450 sq ft) air cleaner which is pretty good at clearing out the smoke itself. It has a hepa filter and charcoal pre-filter. I also have an ionizer I purchased on ebay which I run after smoking which kills the stale smell. It helps if you have a wood floor rather than carpeting as that tends to absorb the smoke odor.

Well I have one coming in tomorrow, it is the Hoover Air Purifier with TiO2 Technology - WH10600, I heard some really good things about it and I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

I have a Whirlpool 450 (covers 450 sq ft) air cleaner which is pretty good at clearing out the smoke itself. It has a hepa filter and charcoal pre-filter.
aadelma, how often do you find yourself changing the filter? Does the ionizer require a filter or just a periodic cleaning?

Kyle said:
Time to build a man cave.
I am thinking about building a man room in the basement - completely sealed off with an air duct going out the back window. As long as I have the necessities (my computer, TV, stereo, minibar, dart board, couch, desk, fridge, humidor, etc.) I'll be all set!

A Voice From the Opposition:

Today I kicked through a light blanket of snow while walking out to my carving shed to work on a current project and have a nice tall bowl. It was about 36F. when I started. My shed is T-1-11 on one side...facing the wind. In the Winter two other sides are hung with roll-down reed blinds and the last side is open air. I light up a radient propane heater, fill my pipe with Condor (a rare treat) and start filing on the wood knife sheath I'm doing for a smallish damascus blade for which I carved a handle from the same piece of Maple Burl. I totally lose track of time. When the bowl sputters and dies it's time for a break. Off goes the little heater, project back into the carry-box and in I go...noticing that half the snow has melted and it's sunny...very bright. I'm thinking about some hot soup for lunch while I hang up my parka (the light one) and I'm already looking forward to getting back out there again after my break. I'd sure hate to waste a great Winter day like this sitting around inside when I could be out there enjoying the day, the work and another bowl.

I only ever smoke outside...wouldn't consider smoking inside. Turned 65 last November...on my own clock now. Out there six days a week a minimum of 6 hours a day. I've got an excellent polycarbonate roof (put it up myself when I built the 'studio') that should shrug off a moderate sized meteor strike...so it's rain or shine.

Times a-wasting. Miles to go. Etc. Never had it so good.

One of the advantages of being single. I can smoke any damn place I want IN my house :p Stay nice and toasty warm in my chair or at my desk while the winter winds blow outside! ( though it's really not been much of a winter this year up here in N. Texas :p )

Blackhorse":on08y046 said:
A Voice From the Opposition:

Today I kicked through a light blanket of snow while walking out to my carving shed to work on a current project and have a nice tall bowl. It was about 36F. when I started. My shed is T-1-11 on one side...facing the wind. In the Winter two other sides are hung with roll-down reed blinds and the last side is open air. I light up a radient propane heater, fill my pipe with Condor (a rare treat) and start filing on the wood knife sheath I'm doing for a smallish damascus blade for which I carved a handle from the same piece of Maple Burl. I totally lose track of time. When the bowl sputters and dies it's time for a break. Off goes the little heater, project back into the carry-box and in I go...noticing that half the snow has melted and it's sunny...very bright. I'm thinking about some hot soup for lunch while I hang up my parka (the light one) and I'm already looking forward to getting back out there again after my break. I'd sure hate to waste a great Winter day like this sitting around inside when I could be out there enjoying the day, the work and another bowl.

I only ever smoke outside...wouldn't consider smoking inside. Turned 65 last November...on my own clock now. Out there six days a week a minimum of 6 hours a day. I've got an excellent polycarbonate roof (put it up myself when I built the 'studio') that should shrug off a moderate sized meteor strike...so it's rain or shine.

Times a-wasting. Miles to go. Etc. Never had it so good.
I love stories like this. 8) There's 365.2524 days out there to enjoy, and I hate being inside. Makes me twitchy.

Yes, Kyle, and I think I'll take my 0.0524 part of a day and enjoy a bowl back by the stream. :lol:

I also only smoke outdoors and wouldn't think of smoking indoors, the smell it leaves in the house is repulsive to me, regardless of what She Who Must Be Obeyed thinks (and don't get me wrong, what she thinks is critically important to my future happiness and indeed survival). But I also love being outdoors, the winters in Arkansas aren't that bad overall, and I've got a few acres with numerous fire pits in the woods, a rather neat tree house with roof and wood stove, and a nifty little grill set up on the porch to keep warm.

But if I lived back in the UP or Wisconsin, I'd probably build a little ski-hut type shelter just to keep warm and out of the wind for winter puffing.

Natch

I've spent several days in the past couple of weeks helping to take care of my Sis-n-law as she recovers from another surgery - after a diagnosis of lung cancer last year. She was a bartender for 20 years...never smoked, never drank. The 2nd hand smoke in the bar caused her cancer. Yes, I know a bar likely has more smoke than I would produce by smoking indoors...and here's the big thing...how much exactly does it take to cause "C" in a loved one. If my wife, who is the center of my universe, ever developed lung cancer...and she as well has never smoked...I know it would be from MY smoking...except that I have never smoked inside, amywhere around her. And since I know that I would give my life for hers...I guess I'd have to add that I'd give up smoking inside. OH...and then there's my children! Yeah, just too much at stake to do that around where I live.

I'll just give cancer to the neighborhood cats and the damn dogs that live next door that bark all day long. There's at least a little justice in that. Heh, heh, heh.

I don't agree with the notion that somehow smoking indoors is superior. Beyond and above all, I would always rather be outside than in, unless in a rare instance I'm sick, and at that likely means I'm pipe-free for a spell, anyway. I don't like the lingering smoke smell. I don't like the cleanliness issues it creates. I also don't like the second-hand potential to my pets and family. Could I smoke inside? Yes. I will never.

I do, however, like the thought of these quasi-sheltered "man pits" though--I'm imagining a porch or other area, sheltered but not "indoors," perhaps a source of heat, seating, music, lighting (when needed)...that would suit me just fine. All I have at the moment is a small, apartment porch with a killer view of the mountains and the Reno valley, but it gets the job done. I'd love to have something more spacious and customizable.

Blackhorse":2q7o6rl7 said:
I've spent several days in the past couple of weeks helping to take care of my Sis-n-law as she recovers from another surgery - after a diagnosis of lung cancer last year. She was a bartender for 20 years...never smoked, never drank. The 2nd hand smoke in the bar caused her cancer. Yes, I know a bar likely has more smoke than I would produce by smoking indoors...and here's the big thing...how much exactly does it take to cause "C" in a loved one. If my wife, who is the center of my universe, ever developed lung cancer...and she as well has never smoked...I know it would be from MY smoking...except that I have never smoked inside, amywhere around her. And since I know that I would give my life for hers...I guess I'd have to add that I'd give up smoking inside. OH...and then there's my children! Yeah, just too much at stake to do that around where I live.

I'll just give cancer to the neighborhood cats and the damn dogs that live next door that bark all day long. There's at least a little justice in that. Heh, heh, heh.
Very well said. sir. I feel the same way about my wife and our situation. Today is our 42nd wedding anniversary and I would never do anything that could cause her harm. So, all of my smoking is done out of doors. She too was never a smoker and she is the biggest supporter of my pipe smoking/collecting. She is the one who buys me the really nice pipes and has an excellent eye for a good briar. She probably knows as much about pipes as I do. I think she gets as excited about discovering a new pipe shop in our travels as I do.

We've been having 50 degree whether here and I've been walking around outside with no jacket. Feels great.

OMG! SPRING! I nearly forgot! lol

Yeah...tomorrow it's gonna be 60 F here with bright sun. Folks'll be fallin' over with heat stroke!

But then it'll clamp down for another two weeks of 45 F and grey skies, etc. That's Oregon. Green...cause it's WET.

I'm out doin' work in Northern NV right now, it was 45°F today, and that was just fine. :sunny:

It's going to be hitting 60°F by next week--again.

We just went from 73 at noon today to 43 right now with winds out of the WNW at 26mph. And rain is right behind it!! Winter has come back after we got up to 80 earlier this week. Texas weather, just wait a minute and it'll change :p

monbla256":m56mv8te said:
Texas weather, just wait a minute and it'll change :p
Of course, Texas thinks it's the only place for just about everything, including that phrase. :lol: