JackKnife Plug!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...appears to be in stock at pipesandcigars as of the time of this post. Just FYI, for anyone still searching.

Well FINALLY! I didn't think Mars would ever get it in.

I prefer to have all my tobacco shipped in from Mars. Just something about tellin' guys I get it from Mars that strikes me as humerous. That plus I've always have great service there and they ship faster than anybody.

PLUS: they have the coolest pipe accessories!

I'm plannin' on cracking a tin of this today and giving it it's first go around. Maybe take a few pics. Can't wait as it will be my first uncut plug experience.

This may be the most excited I have been on a weekend in months. Ok, so I need a life...but still it's exciting!

So - slice it across the grain into flakes about 1/16" thick and then lightly crush/rumple the flakes into loose wads and then into the bowl they go. Of course there are lots of preferences in this, but as the plug is quite moist and soft it loosens easily - and I've found the above results in a final bowl consistancy that lights without undue difficulty and burns slowly enough to keep in the sweet spot pretty much throughout - which works quite well for me.

Just placed an order for a tin. And because I've never had it, I only ordered one tin. What a concept!

I thought about using our tax returns to clean out all of the etailer's stock, and putting it on ebay with a $30 reserve. My conscience prevented this however.

Anyhow, I look forward to my first go with an uncut plug. My wife is excited by it as well and wants to see what it's like to trim a slice from the block. We enjoy the simple things.

Yeah, this stuff is hotter than lava right now. Soon though, supply will catch up to the demand and things will settle out...always a good plan to see if you like it before investing the farm, thinking that you'll get rich quick on eBay! lol

I have to say though, that it's surprising to me that this has hit SUCH a big home run. It's #1 sales rank over at Smoking Pipes! That's kinda significant! But gee...I mean, it's kinda middle of the road in terms of flavor AND in a form that most guys are unused to. But on the other hand it's from a totally solid company designed by a blender of genius and made by another company of established merit. It's almost like guys feel safe in getting something they've not had much experience with, so long as it's from a trusted source...and the hype is of course, astronomical. I guess I got no real answers. Especially to the real questions that plague us...

Questions like: "Why can't we all just get along?" and, "Do ya feel lucky, punk?" and, "Are we THERE yet?"

...just call me Dr. Phil! ...or Dr. Demento!

(pretty much one in the same thing, I'm thinkin')

Anyway - take the time to hug your sweetie today...they're probably needin' it and deservin' it!

Blackhorse":b8kdfcgf said:
Yeah, this stuff is hotter than lava right now. Soon though, supply will catch up to the demand and things will settle out...always a good plan to see if you like it before investing the farm, thinking that you'll get rich quick on eBay! lol

I have to say though, that it's surprising to me that this has hit SUCH a big home run. It's #1 sales rank over at Smoking Pipes! That's kinda significant! But gee...I mean, it's kinda middle of the road in terms of flavor AND in a form that most guys are unused to.
I gotta say BoB is directly responsible for my PAD and TAD. Until discovering this forum, I was happy smoking Balkan Sasieni in a cheap Savinelli. Penzance, FVF, Dunhill and GL Pease tobaccos were not among the offerings at my local B&Ms, and I didn't even know they existed. BoB changed all that. Suddenly I had to try some Penzance in a Castello!

So when JackKnife Plug was released, amidst rumors that it was an awesome tobacco, of course I wanted to try it like everyone else. After tasting it, I doubt this tobacco will make it in my regular rotation. It is just too strong for me. But it made me love the plug format which I had never experimented with before. I think the "hype" and novelty aspect got me to buy the tobacco in the first place. But I probably won't be a repeat customer on that one.

I heard that the same people that make counterfeit Rolex watches are cranking out thousands of cases of JackKnife Plug for sale at disreputable shops!!! It is easy to spot these counterfeit cans, though, as they are marked "JockKnife Plug Pipe Tobacco" !!

Blackhorse":oshc2kxi said:
But gee...I mean, it's kinda middle of the road in terms of flavor AND in a form that most guys are unused to.
This is one of the many things that I love about pipe smoking. Our experiences are all over the map, and none of them are "wrong."

Where you find JackKnife M-O-R, I find it huge—more so than the average virginia. So much so, in fact, that it's become a regular in my own pipes, despite my preferences for Latakia-laced blends, especially this time of year.

Whenever I release a new blend, I'm always excited to see how others perceive it, either positive or negative. I'm happy, of course, that JackKnife has received a lot of positive comments. One guy told me that he prepares four or five pipes at a time, lining them up because he doesn't want to waste time between bowls preparing the stuff. That might be a little obsessive.

Playing with the little block of goodness has turned out to be a lot of fun, too. I've tried it as a shag, as a folded flake, as a ribbon, and as little cubes. It's amazing how different the blend can present itself depending on the cut, the packing density, the pipe. So far, I like it best in smaller pipes, cut very fine and fully rubbed into a shag, but I've heard from a couple that they love it in a cube-cut form, or thicker ribbons or flakes. Vive la difference!

I always say that if you ask 100 pipesters the same question, you'll get at least 100 answers, and they'll probably all be right. Ain't it the truth.

Oh, and the supply/demand equation seems to be balancing out. It's remaining in stock for more than an hour at most places, now. ;)

Greg...Great to see your thoughts and contributions!!!!!!! I have not popped my tin yet, but will be doing shortly....Thanks for the advice.....NW

Gee Greg, I always thought that a hundred pipesters would give you at least half again as many answers and enough quid pro quos to make it an even two hundred! lol

I'm thinkin' that my appraisal of JKP as being middle of the road in strength'flavor is due to my recent dive into those nasty Brit plugs and twists. I find the JKP most akin to Cumberland but like it far more due to the flexibility derived from it's form. All I can say is that I hope there are many more plugs to come. I would add ropes and such to that wish but figure the machinery is pretty much out of reach.

But my my my...you certainly have a right to be pleased with this one, Greg. Out for a month and a classic already...unique in it's form and formula and eagerly accepted by nearly man jack out here!

With the Brits seemingly drying up it sure is wonderful that the level of energy and production here in the great and grande USofA is at such a strong level.

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Well, I finally got to try it due to a generous "sample" sent by Rusty (fishinrust). I must admit I was a bit underwhelmed. it was quite mild, smoked very easy, but I found it quite soft in taste and nicotine. It reminded me of IR Canadian Plug quite a bit but one observation I found most interesting. The taste remained the same throughout the bowl, virtually down to the last 1/4 of the bowl. It didn't get harsh or dry as so many tobaccos do in my opinion. I even left a bowl half smoked overnight to see if it produced any DGT, and damn if it didn't taste the same 12 hours later?

All in all I quite enjoyed it and have several tins to age, but considering some of the early reviews I've seen on it, it was much softer than I expected. Your mileage may vary.

Natch

So - I like it a lot...but THIS much?

BrosofBriarCartoon.jpg