Just got in some tobacco from an individual,possible problem

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbassguy

Reaction score
I ordered a "lot" of aromatic tobacco from a pretty well know guy on a couple other pipe forums.

3 of the tobaccos were opened and kept in ziploc's. They also had some paper in them, labeling the tobacco and the quantity.I got the shipment in today, everything looked as promised and I was super excited. However when I opened the 3 bags to jar them, they all smelled exactly the same.  

Like old dirty paper.

I have them in jars now, but am unsure how to proceed.

Will they still smoke well, taste ok, and have a good room note? Or are they pretty much doomed to taste and smell like old dirty paper?

Can I do anything to restore them to their original state?

The tobacco's in question are
Tewksbury Hobbit's Weed
4Noggins Trout Stream
Castello Sea Rock

And a pic of the packaging

ftJ8HJO.png

Goodness... I'd dump them personally. It's a shame though, at one time I used to like Hobbit's Weed. But yeah, I'd probably dump them and buy some from Tewksbury. :(

taharris":se3010yh said:
I have trouble believing that a piece of paper can ruin a bag of tobacco.

I say smoke it.  It is probably fine.

Todd
I took it as the tobacco smelled bad from the way it had been stored for so long, not from the label inside. You may be right though.

I'm going to try some of the Trout Stream to see what happens. But it's a pretty over powering stench. Like I smell NOTHING of the tobacco or the casings / flavorings. Only old dirty paper.

Wife and kid are both sick, so it may be a while before I get outside to smoke since I'm taking care of both of them. But I will report back when I do.

Ok. Just TRIED to smoke a bowl of the trout stream. Made it one puff as I was lighting.

Tasted just like it smelled. Only it was worse because it won't go away now. I brushed my teeth and smoked another tobacco. Still can taste it.

Contacted the seller. He had gotten it from someone else and had it sitting for at least 3 weeks as it was packaged. He has no idea how long the original seller had it like that. He asked me to give it a week or 2 and try again, and if it's still bad to let him know. So that's good I guess.

I've had Trout Stream before and it didn't look anything like the tobacco in that baggie, should smell a bit like Caramel Popcorn if memory serves and most certainly NOT like stinky old paper.

This reminds me of a trade I did some time ago where I traded a very nice pipe for some tobacco and the tobacco I received absolutely stank of stale cat pee, needless to say I launched the tobacco, I wouldn't smoke any tobacco that smells bad, toss it in the garbage and get some nice tobacco in and don't do business with that person again.

I agree with Tarheel. No amount of time is likely to fix your problem.

I have no experience with any of these blends, but do have these comments:
1. The OP commented that both his wife and child are sick, so it makes me wonder if his sense of taste is "off".
2. IMO, selling / trading tobacco products when you have no clue about their provenance is never a good idea.

Normally I don't have to chime in because things oft repeated get thoroughly covered, but there's a few things you loving knuckleheads didn't go over, so allow me to indulge:

Today's thought: Mold.

* Paper molds. It's made of wood. Wood is the filet mignon of many mold spores. In fact, most of the mold spores out there are designed to be symbiotic with some kind of cellulose material, and paper is about as broad-spectrum as it gets--think all you can eat buffet for mold. Plus, it is free of the natural mold-inhibiting agents produced by the tree from whence it came, so in case an unattended human child ingests six pounds of it, he or she won't die as quickly

* Tobacco is kept moist. Much moister than most organic material in our every day lives, yet it's slightly more resistant to the bad kinds of rot, both bacterial and fungal, and it accepts good rot, in the case of anaerobic "aging" we all know and love. Mold can indeed happen with tobacco, ranging from not-at-all-visible to green powdery slime.

* Old musty paper smells like old musty paper because of mold. This is why old books smell like they do, basements smell like they do (many being made of wood and having cardboard and/or wooden boxes keeping your 35 year old plastic light-up Santa Claus). It's not a lot of mold, in fact may just be slight discoloration or gray, circular fades, but the stuff is pungent. Uppity metropolitan termites regard this stuff like we would a Blue Stilton, a veined, stanky, delicate wood or paper.

* Putting a piece of paper, prone to mold if left to its own devices, in bags of sealed tobacco, which might not as easily show mold, but prone to taking on very subtle flavor and scent nuances of the environment it is in, is a practice that smart people likely avoid and those in need of a refresher biology course should make note of. Exterior sticky labels are wonderful things.

* Smoking any tobacco that has been subjected to any of these scenarios is probably going to create a horrible smoking experience.

In short: ((paper label + moist tobacco) long term + bag) + nose x smoking = quasi-moldy/funky tobacco

Funny enough, living in the desert, I have dryness concerns that most of you do not. I use a folded business card with a one-square piece of toilet paper, barely moistened, and tightly sealed in a mason jar that will perk up dry tobacco in 24 hours. This works and has proven 100% effective. The difference is I do not leave it in there for this exact reason. I did not become wise by the grace of God, I used questioning, eyes, ears, and spectacular error. Such similar incidents include trying to use bread, apples and other nonsense that doesn't belong in tobacco.

There is no way to un-do this particular unfortunate event. You need new tobacco. I also know this particular unfortunate event wasn't due to anyone here, in fact, someone was a victim of it, but it's probably a good idea to take one man's mistake and turn it into a lesson for all.

My condolences for your loss and dashed expectation beardedbassguy. On the good side, I believe you are involved with the Secret Santa event, and therefore, are likely to recoup a few smokes from that whole deal. Might I suggest mixing the horrid tobacco you posted about originally here as a good additive to your garden or potting soil? That works in my realm, and it helps keep bugs away. Seriously, try it.

8)

Hey man, PM me your address. I'll send you some well stored Aro's that I don't intend to smoke free of charge. "Paying it forward," if you will.

Simple Man":bdbuzbhe said:
Kyle, so why do they wrap tobacco in paper and put it in tins? ;) :lol:
Fair game, smartarse.   :heart:

Pipe tin covers, lids and liners are likely a plasticized or anti-fungal treated paper.   I think it's the guy putting copy paper or an index card in his baccystash that's askin' for trouble.

I popped an old tin of Early Morning Pipe and the paper was dotted with black spots, believe it or not.   The tobacco was fine, but it does happen.

;)

The other thing might be the packing process itself. Once aerobic bacteria soak up all the oxygen in the sealed environment, that cuts back on the viability of any mold spores inside. A ziploc bag with not-as-good sealing properties, plus moisture, plus random paper...

...hey, I ain't tellin' anyone how to store their leaf if they like the way it smells and tastes. :lol:

8)

Simple Man":sd7rdfcw said:
You know I was kidding, just couldn't pass up an opportunity to pick at you. :lol:
:lol:

Yeah, but it needed to be mentioned after me waffling like a sanctimonious fool.   I talk a good game, but I'm as full of sh*t as the next guy.  The difference is, I'll admit when I'm wrong.  

Just wait until this thread digresses into an argument about magic mushrooms or something.   It'll happen.    :mrgreen:

8)

MisterE":bjepv366 said:
Wait a sec...did someone mention the..... magic words!? The ones that rhyme with tragic dustbrooms  :shock:
You trippin', E. :lol:

8)