Ken Collins AKA Pipetongue AKA Dad

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read of Ken's passing today. Very sad news indeed. He will be missed here at Brothers of Briar. Ken was a true Brother of the Briar to many of us. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Thanks Carlos for sending the flowers.

After taking a bit of a break from pipes and the forum for a few weeks due to illness, this is the worst of things to return to. I never knew him personally or dealt with him but he was a highly regarded member and held in great esteem to all. He will truly be missed by us, his brothers. I pray his family finds some solace in our community not solely for the sake of their own, but in remembrance of Ken himself.

Really sorry to hear about this, I can tell from reading the posts he was a great guy.

Wow ! I've been away for a while and then to come back and read this saddens me deeply. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

I went to Kenny's house in Abington,Ma, just outside of Boston today per request of his dear wife Mary. Ken's home is your typical late victorian that was converted into two apartements. Ken and Mary lived on the second floor. It was a small, wood paneled two bedroom affair with an eat in kitchen. One spare bedroom was filled with two large, commercial duty shelving units. These housed Ken's imense tobacco collection. His bulk hoard in all sorts of odd jars dominated with only a few dozen assorted tins. Kens pipes were housed along with his computer in a large, glass curio directly next to he and Mary's bed in the other bedroom. This made me smile no end. Quite a few of Ken's bigger money pipes were absent and I was informed by Mary that he had been selling a few things here and there over the last year to keep the bill collectors at bay. Ken new two years ago that his liver had gotten worse and that his days on this earth were soon to be over but he told no one, not even Mary. She has only a couple of weeks left at the house herself before moving a couple of towns over to live with a friend. All and all, she was relaxed and in good spirits. She shared pics of her and a younger Kenny and gave me a pipe tool that she she said had been in his pocket for as long as she knew him.

A deal was struck and I bought the pipes and tobacco. I lack the insane amout of it would take to list and sell them now but I'll keep everytone informed. For now, I can't answer e-mails of inquiry about anything. Please respect that. I'm working 16 hours a day and spending the rest of my time in the gym :affraid:

DPG, I'm sure Ken would have wanted you to step in this way. Mary will do good by you.

That's a very generous thing you are doing. Once you are ready to sell I'd love ti have a piece of this nice mans legacy. What a sad, sad thing.

I know what you mean Martin, to have something of his would be nothing short of an honor. As soon as you're ready I'm sure the board is too.

You're the man Dock! Not only for stepping up and taking care of that for her but also for giving us a little peek into his life. Thanks!

I didn't know the gentleman. I would like to be of assistance at your earliest convienance.

Please PM me when ready.

Thank you for your kind service to his Missus.

Bill

I have been on a several month hiatus from the pipe and this forum. It was with a heavy heart that I read this post. Ken was an inspiration to me and gave me a tremendous amount of encouragement and some excellent tobacco recommendations. Never could learn to like that Bosun plug though. I will be smoking it tonight in warm memory of man who inspired and showed true kindness to his fellow man. RIP Ken.