Laguiole knives

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeno Marx

Reaction score
Laguiole was mentioned in the Opinel thread. I know nothing about them, but now I'm curious and wanting. I'd like to hear more about them, and maybe someone can tell me why this knife seems to be less desired than others. What is junk about it? I guess what I'm asking is why does this retail at $30 and not $60 or $90 like many of their other knives?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2EA4MX1121

The name is a town that can't be trademarked so there are a couple of different Laguiole named brands out there. :shock:

Zeno

Well, first off you want to make sure you purchase a Laguiole knife made in France, which is of much better quality. Some Laguiole knives are being made in China and Amazon has been selling them. Your best bet is to shop at the Laguiole online store, a big sale is going on right now. Look at the pocket knives with the BEE on the spine.
Superb quality for the price!!! My Laguiole pocket knife cost me around $75.00 a number of years ago. Allot of fancy carving on the spine with that stunning BEE. It's a looker for sure and I do carry it from time to time.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Several years ago I bought a Laguiole corkscrew and have loved it since. My father carried one of their horn handled pocket knives for most of his life. ( he was French) It's lost part of a side  of the horn handle and the point off one of the blades but it gave him over 50 years service. !! I'd get one but my 40 yo Case just keeps on goin'!! As has been said be sure and look for the Bee up near the front bolster on the bottom side. Here's my corkscrew:

Since you all mentioned the bee on the back and to be sure anything I'm considering has one, I've noticed they ALL have them. Even the ones that are "too cheap to be true?" have them. I have noticed the knives with less suspect pricing also have other decorative detailing on their springs and backside, but not always. Like so many other things, I feel like shopping for old and vintage is the only way I can be somewhat sure that I'm not a sucker for a Chinese lesser version or a full-on knock-off. Buying nice things in the modern world is a frustration. It's not enough to fine tune businesses to support, but to then have to fine tune within the fine tuning. "Oh, so you still make X, Y, and Z at top quality, but you also have a, b, and c at shit quality as well." Or your Chinese factory is running a 3rd shift and selling your 2nds and 3rds and intentional overruns as bootlegs.

*I should add that I have little against Chinese manufacturing, other than the stealing of ideas and the bootlegging. They do what they do, and we know what they do. Yet, to make fractions of pennies on stock for piddly dividends, we continue to go to them. Our greed creates their greed. Rather than live in a world with real inflation, and where quality and service are rewarded with living wage jobs etc, we'd rather continue forward with the inevitable self-destructive behavior. That's not on the Chinese. That's on us.

That's interesting Zeno. As soon as you mentioned a shape I immediately thought of the shape in the link you provided. Despite it being an Opinel, I think this is synonymous with Languiole's brand and I'm not sure if I've seen it anywhere else.

I used to have one made by Queen Cutlery, it was an angling knife sold by LL Bean. It was about 6 or 7 inches open. Probably very similar to what you are after. wish I still had that knife, but it went away in one of my cleaning purges.

Simple Man":658hpzt2 said:
I used to have one made by Queen Cutlery, it was an angling knife sold by LL Bean. It was about 6 or 7 inches open. Probably very similar to what you are after. wish I still had that knife, but it went away in one of my cleaning purges.
Useful information.  I'll watch for that.  Like the idea of an old angler Bean knife.

*if you search sold items on ebay for "fishing bean knife", you'll find a few examples of knives in the realm of my parameters, though I don't have any need for a scaler or hook remover.  the downside is that they all sold for more than I'm interested in paying.  I might as well hold out for a Laguiole.  Still, I'll keep my eyes peeled for other Beans.

Richard Burley":jmac9l33 said:
Can you handle carbon steel? These are high quality, decently priced knives made by Great Eastern. Laguioles are the prettiest knives ever, but I can't recommend them, for various reasons. The killer for me is that the blade on mine rests on the spring when closed. Or slams against it if you forget. Blade isn't centered, they're expensive as hell (the real ones), etc.

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/great-eastern-cutlery-38-special-northfield-un-x-ld-sambar-stag-09/
I can deal with carbon steel. I'd rather not because I'm lazy and don't want to think about a pocket knife. Just use it. But I can be swayed. Those are attractive. Another option. Thanks.

Zeno,
I own steak knives, a pipe tool and a cork screw all by Laguiole France and I love them dearly. We’re i in the market for a well made pocket knife I’d steer toward Gerber, Boker or several bench made ones, just my humble opinion.
banjo