Lat-light Blends ?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveaux

Reaction score
I like "smoky", but not acrid.

"Smoky", for me, falls into one of two categories ... savory, or acrid.

I love ODF. To me, ODF is savory. It's more of a hardwood smoke flavor. However, every "Lat-forward" or "Lat-bomb" blend I've tried has left me ... well ... disgusted. Their evergreen-smoked flavors and aromas come across as a combination of creosote and burnt rubber.

Being intrepid, or foolhardy (your call), I kept trying. Then I tried Sutliff R-Blend. FIREWORKS, DANCING BEARS, I MAY HAVE EVEN SEEN A UNICORN !!! It's sweet and spicy, with the Latakia present, but only in a supporting role.

So, if any of you can recommend similar Lat-light blends, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Esoterica Pembroke, real smooth and just enough Lat to taste but, still lets the VA's share the stage.

I do like McC's Virginias, especially 2035 ... forget ketchup, everyone I've had sniff the jar says the same thing - Worcestershire Sauce !!! I'm adding Anniversary to my Gotta Try list.

Pembroke sounds intriguing, but I'm not sure I want to chase the Esoterica dragon.

Thanks, guys.

Keep 'em coming, I'm ordering this weekend.

I really enjoy GLP Meridian. If you appreciate Oriental leaf, it has some nice exotic flavors with the latakia gently playing support. Sam Gawith Skiff Mixture is always good without being heavy handed, but the latakia is noticeable.

One that I haven't smoked, but it's a favorite of a piper I respect is GLP Kensington.

Maybe give Squadron Leader a try as well....

DrumsAndBeer":3q9qlv4k said:
I really enjoy GLP Meridian. If you appreciate Oriental leaf, it has some nice exotic flavors with the latakia gently playing support. Sam Gawith Skiff Mixture is always good without being heavy handed, but the latakia is noticeable.

One that I haven't smoked, but it's a favorite of a piper I respect is GLP Kensington.

Maybe give Squadron Leader a try as well....
I love the herbal Orientals, most notably Izmir. For some reason, I've been looking at Meridian as Lat-forward. Great information.

Thank you.

I'm not the biggest fan of Latakia.  Personal preferences in pipe tobaccos are so subjective.  I've tried and tried but just can't get into Latakia-forward blends.  Don't taste anything but the Latakia. For years & years I've searched for Latakia blends that I can enjoy.  Believe me, I've tried a lot…
Here's my personal conclusions as a non-Latakia lover with regards to Lat-Light Blends:
Peter Stokkebye Plantation Evening - an ultimate Latakia-light, plus cheap as a bulk baccy.
MacBaren Plumcake - the Latakia is a condiment, but adds something to the blend that make the blend absolutely de-friggin-licious!
Peretti Cuban Mixture - ditto, plus a complex blend that seems to be different but wonderfully delicious every time I pack it into a pipe.  An overall unique blend that is simply put, spectacular!

I like things like Nightcap, but I can't take a steady diet of heavy latakia either. The taste begins to pall. If you can stand latakia at all, it seems to me that Frogmorton would be good. It works for me--though so does switching to a VaPer. Or PA. Or Semois. It depends on how much distance you want to put between yourself and the vile weed.

If you're wanting something similar to R-Blend in regard to latakia, you might want to try Fox and Hound. Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend is a mild aromatic that has a minute amount of latakia, too. There's a little more latakia than those in Black Noble, which is a little latakia, a little sweet Virginia, and mostly burleys.

I quite like Epiphany and Tuskegee Airmen, both by C&D. Epiphany lists lat as second and TA as first, but I find each pretty soft on the smokey scale. Epiphany can be found in bulk and at a pretty good price.

PM me and I'll send you some samples if you like.

Natch

McClelland 2045 Oriental Mixture is one of my favorite, lat easy blends. And, McC 2020 is a new one I've had only a couple times, more oriental than latakia, I think.

Balkan Flake is more medium I would say...not a lat-bomb, but I enjoy this one as well.

It sounds like you tolerate some Burley as well (ODF, and R-blend has a burley base, I think). I'd grab some Bald-headed Teacher for sure, and C&D Epiphany is a clone of the same blend as R-blend (Revelation, Einstein's favorite). You might also like Morely's best by C&D.

I also wanted to note that as far as I can detect, Lat and KY are very different. They have different qualities, which I like to liken to barbecue smokiness (KY) vs. campfire (pine?) smokiness. It seems lat may also be more potent, whereas KY is less so. In beer brewing, there are different smoked malts. Peat smoked malt is very potent, and is only used as a few % of the total grist. Rauchmalt is smoky, but can be used in much greater quantities. Maybe it's like that with Lat and KY?

You mentioned that you enjoy Orientals such as Izimir and others so a Latakia lite blend which is solidly based on good Va's as well as some Izimir and other Orientals along with some Latakia would be one of my FAVE Balkans and a long loved classic blend, Presbyterian. It's been around for over 100 years now and I usually have a bowl or two every other day. It's a nice well rounded smoke, smooth with just a small amount of the distinctive "smokey" flavor Lat adds without overpowering it. It's also an affordable and AVAILABLE blend/mixture from a variety of suppliers on the web. I've smoked it for many years and highly recommend it !! :twisted: :twisted:

DrumsAndBeer":kwszqoym said:
Some great suggestions here. I feel some TAD coming on.
You bet!

Thank you, one and all.

I'm going to order a half-dozen or so tins, some bulk, and a big ol' bag o' Ramback this weekend.

Epiphany, Anniversary, Plumcake, 2020, are on the list from SP.

4Noggins will be providing Presbyterian, Painter Hills, and Bald-headed Teacher.

D&B: After reading some reviews, I'm going to slide sideways from Meridian and go with Chelsea Morning. It looks to have a little less Lat.

JimInks: This is all your fault, anyway. Your R-Blend review got me to this point.

Thomas: You definitely get my take on "smoky".

Natch: As always, a gracious and gentlemanly offer. Thank you.

Again, thank you, Brothers!

... time to get some more jars.

:geek:

Steveaux":t1i81omj said:
JimInks: This is all your fault, anyway. Your R-Blend review got me to this point.
That's a nice haul right there.  :D 

Sudden fits of TAD are pretty much always Jim's fault around here.

What I am currently doing? Scraping up funds to place my first HU Tobacco order. (Thanks Jim)  ;)

DrumsAndBeer":ysz741n7 said:
Steveaux":ysz741n7 said:
That's a nice haul right there.  :D 

Sudden fits of TAD are pretty much always Jim's fault around here.

What I am currently doing? Scraping up funds to place my first HU Tobacco order. (Thanks Jim)  ;)
HU tobacco sounds pretty good :)

Squadron Leader and Presbyterian might be up your alley. I can send you some SL if you PM me with your address.

Steveaux":jopw57om said:
DrumsAndBeer":jopw57om said:
Some great suggestions here. I feel some TAD coming on.
You bet!

Thank you, one and all.

I'm going to order a half-dozen or so tins, some bulk, and a big ol' bag o' Ramback this weekend.

Epiphany, Anniversary, Plumcake, 2020, are on the list from SP.

4Noggins will be providing Presbyterian, Painter Hills, and Bald-headed Teacher.

D&B: After reading some reviews, I'm going to slide sideways from Meridian and go with Chelsea Morning. It looks to have a little less Lat.

Thomas: You definitely get my take on "smoky".

Natch: As always, a gracious and gentlemanly offer. Thank you.

Again, thank you, Brothers!

... time to get some more jars.

:geek:
To paraphrase the Maverick theme song: "Who was the tall dark enabler there, JimInks is his name.."  :twisted:  :D :D :D :cheers: