Late-night pipe smoking locales

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatman":zaegblxc said:
Love the Tansu chest! Nothing like that up here, sadly.
Ditto on that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.  Beautiful chest of drawers...perfect for the purpose now used.

build a shed/smoke hut, but a small tv a stereo, a mini fridge and have at it, put a sign up that says it's a work free smoke zone, that way she doesnt stumble into it

Very nice cabinet. Nicely done.

I can feel Fall in the air here in CT. During the summer I got in the habit of filling a pipe before turning in and, when I'd wake up about two a.m. I'd go out on the deck in my pajamas, light up, admire the constellations and sometimes put the binocs on passing aircraft. It's already getting a bit too chilly for that.

Plus the missus observed, "What if I heard the slider open in the middle of the night, thought it was a deadly home invader, and shot you?" I think she was kidding. I'm pretty sure.

Smoking a pipe makes smoke.
If I partner she will have to at least tolerate smoke.
Cost of doing business.

As it is I live alone.
When I smoke it flavors the air.
I don't care.
I don't smoke outside.

You guys with women picky about smoking make me sad. Last night my wife asked if I needed my lighter when I sat down. I said no, but she went and got it anyway, then bent over at the waist and flicked it open for me and lit my pipe. Thats service gents.

Tate":96jq8u3m said:
You guys with women picky about smoking make me sad.  Last night my wife asked if I needed my lighter when I sat down.  I said no, but she went and got it anyway, then bent over at the waist and flicked it open for me and lit my pipe.  Thats service gents.
Sounds like there was MORE to this than JUST "flicking your bic" ! What was she wearing? :twisted:  :twisted: 

The thin drawers on that chest would make awesome pipe storage racks. Just get a sheet of something soft, rubber like and lay them in there.

4noggins.com_Mike":2xx2fcu4 said:
If I partner she will have to at least tolerate smoke.
Cost of doing business.

As it is I live alone.
When I smoke it flavors the air.
I don't care.
I don't smoke outside.
Preach it brother!

:sunny: 

Cheers,

RR

Married for nearly 17 years.
I prefer my bride over the pipe.
She supports my hobby and my need for solitude.
She doesn't smoke or enjoy it.
She loves me and I her.

I don't live alone.
I don't live for myself.
The pipe is tertiary.
I do care.
I made a decision to smoke outdoors or in the garage.

gravel":ww5wtu1o said:
Married for nearly 17 years.
I prefer my bride over the pipe.
She supports my hobby and my need for solitude.
She doesn't smoke or enjoy it.
She loves me and I her.

I don't live alone.
I don't live for myself.
The pipe is tertiary.
I do care.
I made a decision to smoke outdoors or in the garage.
:cheers: 

Gravel has a point, in fact he has several, but I think the anti's have had for more than their fair share of dictating tobacco policy and practices. That the OP feels badly that his neighbors close their door when he lights up is to a certain extent aiding and abetting. Pipe smoke although the most fragrant of tobacco smoke can be found objectionable. It is anyone's right to govern what they breathe. But give me a break, it's not as if a pipe smoker is filling the air with some stink weed cigar. Appreciating their "aroma" is an acquired taste, usually by the cigar smokers themselves:).

Brewdude: thank you for your support:).

Just celebrated 18 years with my wife and yes I smoke in the house with no complaints.  Yep I got a good women.  

My neighbor in Georgia did not have that privilege.  So he parked the truck in the driveway and put in a carpet, chairs, beer fridge, radio and a tv in the garage and turned it into the air commando lounge (yeah he was an ex-C-130 flight engineer).   During the winter he would drop a space heater that worked well enough.

I agree with gravel. A happy wife is a happy life. My wife is a beautiful and amazing person, and a wonderful mother to my two lovely daughters.

I'll smoke outdoors or in the garage when it's windy out.

Well, it's been half a year. I've adjusted since my original post, smoking in the garage. The benefits being light, power, no wind, and general comfort. However, it's still cold.

I have finally gotten over a recent mild head cold, so it's been a week since I had a smoke. Since then the weather has been unseasonably cold here in the SF bay area, getting down to freezing at night.

I've come to the same point I was back earlier this year wondering if there's any way around being outside. I started using a parabolic dish space heater, but it's not really meant for as large a space as a garage so it only heats my knees. I also have been using a fan to draw the smoke out the garage door, but that creates its own draft. I used to think I could tolerate cold fairly well being a warm-bodied person, but it seems that those days may be behind me since taking up smoking in the garage.

Any other advice besides just smoking in the house (which is not an option) and not smoking at all?  :no: 

You're (happily, I read!) whipped, I'd just quit smoking.  :shock: 

daveinlax":h838ahuq said:
You're (happily, I read!) whipped
There ARE other possibilities ... one of my sons lives in an apartment complex where indoor smoking is verboten .... another COULD smoke indoors at his place, but chooses not to do so because he has a young daughter and feels it might not be good for her ...

*sigh* I should've stated, I didn't want to bring up the "whipped, ball-and-chain, wife/boss" discussion again. I regret not putting that out there.

I'm just trying to solve a problem with known constraints; the wife is not the problem.

mejoshee":1o8qendm said:
the wife is not the problem.
LOL! I know, I know So Sorry! It's the guitar, you don't want to foul your guitar. Like I said I'd just quit.  :shock: 

Electric or wool socks and a ski hat.

When my feet & head are warm I enjoy the winter night smokes.

Ok, ok. Been spending the last couple days trying to come up with a good solution for our whisky club nights for the smoking portion (2nd half basically). I will open up the garage door halfway, using a fan to draw out the smoke, and pick up one of the forced air heater "cannons" from HD.

I expect there will be at least 5-6 smokers tonight, so I'll hopefully have good feedback after this about its success. Stay tuned!