Les Miserables...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 2031

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first movie that I've been looking forward to in a long time. Anyone else?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0cDVdg7gVdg" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OMG, don't tell my wife! She is running the lights for a local production of Les Miserables this week, and if she didn't marry me she would have probably stalked Hugh Jackman.

Ocelot55":e4keoelh said:
OMG, don't tell my wife! She is running the lights for a local production of Les Miserables this week, and if she didn't marry me she would have probably stalked Hugh Jackman.
Who says I didn't know about it already?! And how does that stop me from stalking Hugh Jackman? (This is Ocelot's wife, btw. He left his browser open. :twisted: Silly Ocelot!) Can I get an amen for how awesome this movie is going to be! Having seen Jackman's previous musical performances on Broadway and West End, I can only imagine how amazing his talent will be on screen. I'm also interested to see how some of the other cast members perform. I haven't heard Anne Hathaway sing, but she certainly looks the part. I can't wait! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

-Serval55 :cat:

Ocelot55":ydo309jq said:
Ocelot55":ydo309jq said:
Who says I didn't know about it already?! And how does that stop me from stalking Hugh Jackman? (This is Ocelot's wife, btw. He left his browser open. :twisted: Silly Ocelot!) Can I get an amen for how awesome this movie is going to be! Having seen Jackman's previous musical performances on Broadway and West End, I can only imagine how amazing his talent will be on screen. I'm also interested to see how some of the other cast members perform. I haven't heard Anne Hathaway sing, but she certainly looks the part. I can't wait! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

-Serval55 :cat:
:cheers: :lol!:

Yes! I am really looking forward to it. It looks like it is being done right and should be an awesome performance. I really like Anne Hathaway playing the part of Fantine. I've never heard her sing either, but she looks great in the previews. I was really surprised at how they can make here look so horrible in the later scenes. I'm thinking I may go see this on opening night, maybe... it all depends on if my wife and I can sneak out a bit early on her family Christmas night.

When you go, drag ol' Ocelot along, he could use a little refining. :lol:

Ocelot55":ex62x9zj said:
Ocelot55":ex62x9zj said:
(This is Ocelot's wife, btw. He left his browser open. :twisted:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
FANTASTIC!!!!!

I'm not sure how much I'm looking forward to the movie, tbh. I love the live show so much, that I'm kind of afraid of a film version - sort of a "the movie is never as good as the movie" sorta thing (ironic, considering this is the one instance where I enjoy an adaptation more than the original novel).

... I think I missed something here. :scratch:

That'll teach me to leave BoB running after I go back to work from lunch. Oh well, the wife is at the performance tonight so I think I'll see if she left her facebook account open! :twisted:

Ocelot55":xkyxn0f9 said:

That'll teach me to leave BoB running after I go back to work from lunch. Oh well, the wife is at the performance tonight so I think I'll see if she left her facebook account open! :twisted:
:lol!:

SWMBO and I are planning to go on Christmas day afternoon. We both love musicals, and this one looks like a winner. How long has it been since Hollywood has had a successful musical?

Still, nothing beats live theater, but this may be a close second?

Natch

Ocelot55":p5sr5wmy said:

I really appreciated the deal she made on one of your pipes, very generous..................<g>

Natch":ro22harf said:
SWMBO and I are planning to go on Christmas day afternoon. We both love musicals, and this one looks like a winner. How long has it been since Hollywood has had a successful musical?

Still, nothing beats live theater, but this may be a close second?

Natch
I am hoping my wife and I can see it over the holidays... our time is quickly getting booked up. I hate when everybody else makes plans that includes me. :lol:

riff raff":upzf2m7m said:
Ocelot55":upzf2m7m said:

I really appreciated the deal she made on one of your pipes, very generous..................<g>
Is that where my other Dunhill went!? Son of a buck....

Ocelot55":fl0alx1y said:
riff raff":fl0alx1y said:
Ocelot55":fl0alx1y said:

Is that where my other Dunhill went!? Son of a buck....
Dunhill"s", better recount!

I must admit, I'm kinda stoked to see this now. At first I was rather indifferent. I saw it live in Toronto back in '91 and it was fabulous.* I didn't think a film could really compete with it. Recently, though, I heard they recorded all the singing live on set, rather than having the actors lip-sync to a pre-recorded track. This could make a HUGE difference in terms of acting spontaneity, leading to a far more more natural, stage-like performance. Maybe I'll take my mother to see it this week.

*That's right. I used the word "fabulous" to describe a musical theater performance which I actually watched. I'm very secure in my masculinity, thank you. :p

idbowman":hv2158x7 said:
...I'm kind of afraid of a film version - sort of a "the movie is never as good as the movie" sorta thing...
Really, Bowman? I usually like the movie more than the movie, unless it was a pretty bad movie to begin with, in which case the movie's usually better.

My better half is a thespian and her life revolves around theatre. Being the nice guy that I am I try to support her in this aspect of her life but it can become obsessive on her part. Just like my pipe habits are an obsession to me!! LOL
I am not looking forward to seeing this but once I do I'll probably feel better for it. :roll:

I hate musicals and I love the novel, so my bias told me that this would be an orgy of butchery and trivialization. However, several associates with first-rate minds and tastes strongly urged me to see it. These are not people who are easily impressed, so I will probably go see it, seating myself near an exit to facilitate my sudden bolting from the theater at the first sign of "creative" depravity.

The 1998 movie had a quality cast and was purdy darn good. This seems kind of pointless to me, but I'm not much for musicals. It's too bad Hollywood doesn't foster writing. New stories of this caliber are surely in need. remakes of remakes of remakes and completely idiotic humor. That's why most (I'd argue all) of the quality programming is going to cable. Mad Men, Downton Abbey, Breaking Bad (at times), American Horror Story, Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire etc etc make movies of today look like child's play. Movies have become a fast-food product. Processed edibles. So little longterm resonance and nutrition to be found in them.