Let's See Some Pics of Your Moretti's!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man I have always wanted one of moretti's pipes! I will probably be getting one at the end of the year, if I can afford one.

Interested to find out if anyone directly commissioned something from him and what his pricing is vs. "deals" on eBay. Anyone?

mejoshee":ralrsqhj said:
Interested to find out if anyone directly commissioned something from him and what his pricing is vs. "deals" on eBay. Anyone?

mejoshee, here is a link to Marco's website where you can see some of his prices for pipes outside ebay. You will need to convert the Italian Vat to American, but that can be easily done with a currency converter found online. I'm sure a quick email to Marco asking about a comissioned pipe will get a quick response, and won't be outside the normal pricing parameters.

http://www.pipemoretti.com/

First and hopefully not last! It's a cute little poker:

for size reference:

From the ebay listing

My rusticated Oom Paul arrived yesterday after a little mix up with the delivery. Here it is.

I really like the way Marco bevels the top of the bowl, sure nice to fill.

This pic shows a larger shelf on the right side of the pipe that had a small splinter.

I was able to even up the inside of the stem with my dremel tool.

Might need to take a little more off it and smooth it up some more but i'll see how it smokes first before i go to far.

Hawker":sci11c1w said:
This pic shows a larger shelf on the right side of the pipe that had a small splinter.

I was able to even up the inside of the stem with my dremel tool.

Might need to take a little more off it and smooth it up some more but i'll see how it smokes first before i go to far.
I can't quite tell what's happening in the last couple of photos.
Did you have to perform some sort of repair, or modification to the chamber?
Was it a defect in the wood, or carving?

It wasn't in the chamber, the shank was drilled off to the left resulting in a large flat shelf being left on the other side. There was a splinter hanging off the shelf when the pipe arrived that i assume was from someone hitting it with a pipe cleaner. After inspecting the pipe i reassembled it and tried the pipe cleaner test and it wouldn't pass. After i rounded off the ledge to make it look more symmetrical it now passes the pipe cleaner test. I was going to stop there if it smoked ok but it tends to gurgle with dry tobacco. Doing a little research on opening the airway & stem before i go any further. I don't think i can hurt it any as the stem is drilled off center anyway and will have to use files to bring the hole to center.

Hawker, I really like the moisture collection design of most Oom Pauls, but the drilling on some of them can be really tricky. Add to that, sometimes the angle of the drilling can leave a thin wall in the bowl above the draft hole, and can cause a burnout rather easily if great care isn't taken during the break in process.

Did you buy that pipe new from Marco, or was it a smoked estate?

Dutch, I purchased the pipe thru ebay from Marco.

I decided to open up the stem to 5/32". Once I filed the hole to center it i was able to secure the bit in my vise and hand twist the stem onto it reaching an 1 3/8" depth without straighting the stem and if need be i could straighten it and proceed further if needed. Before i was only smoking 1/2 bowls and having trouble with it gurgling and after boring it out i smoked a full bowl with quite a bit of improvement. Going to give it a couple days rest before trying it again but quite satisfied with the way it smoked this evening.
Here's a picture before filing, i wasn't able to just go staight to the drill bits or the hole would of remained off center.

After filing and boring with a 5/32" drill bit to a depth of 1 3/8".

Hawker, looks like you did a great job correcting the drilling. If it were my purchase, I would have definitely asked Marco for a replacement pipe, and reimbursement for shipping costs to return it.

Dutch":615re65t said:
Hawker, looks like you did a great job correcting the drilling. If it were my purchase, I would have definitely asked Marco for a replacement pipe, and reimbursement for shipping costs to return it.
I thought of going that route and i mention to Marco that by sending the pipe by UPS instead of thru registered mail like i requested the pipe ended up costing me $44.04 for shipping on top of the $120.00 i paid for the pipe. UPS does not deliver to my area in the country so we had to drive 30 miles to pick it up at a UPS warehouse. Incomplete directions and wrong address were on package bla bla bla. All he said was that next time he would make sure he would send thru reg mail. After all the hassell of finally getting the pipe (over a month) and what i had already spent on shipping i decided i'd rather just make it a project pipe and do it myself rather than going thru all the return hassel. I enjoy working with my hands & messing with shit like this anyway. I should of taken the pipe down to our friendly neighbourhood Sasquatch for the work over to ensure it was done properly but the drive would of taken as long as it took to just do it and i enjoyed doing it so:cheers:

What's up with the icons, the cheers icon is up when i'm typing but goes to long hand when posted. Oh well i guess i'll have a scotch Cheers.

Hey Hawker, 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you experienced. They definitely seem like an anomaly, as many on this thread have discussed the typically high quality of Morettis. That being said, it sure looks like a beauty. If it smokes well, as you say, I'd just puff away and chalk it up to a bit of bad luck.

Pipe'n Prof":hwfyecik said:
Hey Hawker, 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you experienced. They definitely seem like an anomaly, as many on this thread have discussed the typically high quality of Morettis. That being said, it sure looks like a beauty. If it smokes well, as you say, I'd just puff away and chalk it up to a bit of bad luck.
It was no big deal, i enjoyed working on it. Just goes to show that anyone can have a bad day in the shop. I just wish they would post pictures of  the pipes drilling on ebay or at least comment if there is a problem with it before it's bid on or shipped if they are going to list sub par products. One advantage of deal with local B&M's, you can see exactly what your getting.

Well I've been on a long hiatus for reasons I can't even explain but, thought I'd sneak back in. I seen this thread and though, "what the heck!" So here's a recent estate Moretti Recanati I restored not long ago. It wasn't a real mess but the button had been chewed well and the stem logo is badly worn.  :fpalm: 
DSC01365.jpg

I forgot to post here too! You may already have seen my recent acquisitions on ebay, but here they are again:

• Moretti olive wood bent brandy. The seller (not Marco) called it a prince, but it's more of a apple/brandy to me due to the short stem. Chubby little thing that seems to smoke FVF and Red Flake well and stays relatively cool. The only olivewood I own and kind has it's own cool, but simple vibe to it. Still breaking it in, so I don't know how it'll differ from briar. I'd appreciate any comments on this one as it's a unique piece.

• Moretti Magnum rusticated bent Rhodesian with yellow boxwood (I think) stem accent. Thing is thick and huge! However, the chamber is normal diameter and just a bit taller than see in a "regular" Rhodesian or billiard. It smokes cool, but it is an intermittent wet, gurgly smoker. I will need need to get it looked at with a repair guy as I think the shank drill might not be well aligned. The olivewood Moretti I have also do not show any chamfering of the tenon either. But I did expect a little more fit and finish for the price. I'll have to tell Marco what's up.... :cry:

Here is a little 36 gram rusticated billiard I picked up back in April that I forgot to add to the thread. I haven't smoked it yet, but I am certainly looking forward to pairing it with the perfect tobacco when the mood strikes me.....

Dutch: The stem is the making of that pipe. It really sets it off. Nice catch.:cheers: 

AJ