Lets Talk Boswell

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I hear you.

That's going to be a great one to hold. I love that round ball feeling in my hand...great when you wrap your fingers all around it like a game ball.

NewSmoke":3os63h0w said:
I've just spent the better part of an hour on the Boswell website. I haven't even received my first pipe (Peterson from Cup o Joes) and I already want to order one of these beautiful Boswell pipes. Any idea what time the new pipes are published online? Is it every Thursday? I am 8.5 hours ahead of east coast time and would love the chance to purchase one. Thanks for sharing fellas, great collections.
You just have to start calling on Thurs AM immediately if you see one you like. He has a number of pix on his wall of soldiers with his pipes from all over the world. IF you can't get thru, but have a means of seeing a camera pix, I'd be happy to go and send you some from his wall and prices. I get JM would hold until you can call and make payment. PM me if that is of help. Typically his wall pipes are a little cheaper to boot and of the same styles/finishes. (Boswells is near Letterkenny Army Depot and the War College in Carlisle PA). The retired CSM (my dad) would love for me to help a soldier get the pipe he needs out in the field.

That is very generous of you and I will take you up on that for sure. I was kind of wondering how I was going to be able to successfully call. Using the phone can be somewhat tricky, using calling cards or operators and such. To quote Ricky Bobby, it seems that "if you're not first, you're last" when it comes to buying a Boswell over the phone on Thursdays! I appreciate the help for sure. My Peterson should be here soon, so I will be looking at a picking up a Boswell soon after that, I want to make sure I get a good rotation going, break them in right!! I'll keep looking on the site and I will certainly contact you when I find my next pipe! Thanks again for the help! Eric.

NewSmoke":dj58w9x2 said:
That is very generous of you and I will take you up on that for sure. I was kind of wondering how I was going to be able to successfully call. Using the phone can be somewhat tricky, using calling cards or operators and such. To quote Ricky Bobby, it seems that "if you're not first, you're last" when it comes to buying a Boswell over the phone on Thursdays! I appreciate the help for sure. My Peterson should be here soon, so I will be looking at a picking up a Boswell soon after that, I want to make sure I get a good rotation going, break them in right!! I'll keep looking on the site and I will certainly contact you when I find my next pipe! Thanks again for the help! Eric.
Just PM when you are ready and enjoy that new Pete! (and be safe!)

Can any of you help me identify the style of pipe this is. I really like the look of it. It has the look of a classic except for the top of the bowl, that has a freehand, rustic look. I really like this style and hope that there are others like it in the Boswell lineup......as soon as I figure out how to upload the image...

It's on the Boswell homepage at the top. You can see it a couple different times on the site. Once in hand (homepage Professional Pipemakers Since 1975) and again between two other pipes.

Thanks in advance, if I can get the picture up I will, might be an issue with the bandwidth out here.

Looks like I have to wait to post that picture...this is the message I got when I tried the PhotoBucket method...just a few more days.....bummer.

"New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information."

NewSmoke":yw3dwx7z said:
Can any of you help me identify the style of pipe this is. I really like the look of it. It has the look of a classic except for the top of the bowl, that has a freehand, rustic look. I really like this style and hope that there are others like it in the Boswell lineup......as soon as I figure out how to upload the image...

It's on the Boswell homepage at the top. You can see it a couple different times on the site. Once in hand (homepage Professional Pipemakers Since 1975) and again between two other pipes.

Thanks in advance, if I can get the picture up I will, might be an issue with the bandwidth out here.
The top of the bowl is referred to as plateaux if that's what you are referring to...outer part of the wood left on through the carving process and not cut off or sanded down. Lots of pipe makers will do it from time to time, and you can probably find it on almost any shape you want. Occasionally you will even see it on the sides or bottom of the bowl, rather than the top.

The plateau, thanks! I guess the pipe that I am referring to is a Boswell Classic with a rustic (unfinished?) plateau. It's very nice!

Just a freehand bent, with pleateaux. He makes tons of them..check out the gallery and you'll see them smooth, rusticated, small, large...all types.

pipe_over.jpg

This one? If so, that is a tough one. I rarely see a Boswell with an insert in the stem. I couldn't find any like that in the Freehand pipe gallery either. He does plenty of plateau top freehands though, just missing the stem insert. They run about $100.

NewSmoke":31rt5jcy said:
with a rustic (unfinished?) plateau.
Plateaux is naturally unfinished..it's like bark...if you sanded through the bark, you'd just have smooth wood. Same w/plateaux...if you sanded or smoothed or finished it, it would just be briar underneath. It's stained, usually, but the beauty lies in it looking natural, I think.

Yes, Boswell's are rare with inserts. I didn't think you meant that pipe specifically. There are others with pictures posted on page 1 of this thread that are plateuax freehands.

Thanks for expanding my knowledge gents! I love knowing the correct terminology. That's the picture that I was trying to post, new guys like myself don't have that privilege until after a week of membership.

That's the pipe that I was talking about though, pipe insert and all, I just didn't know how to properly explain it (noob).

It's got a great look, I imagine that must have been a special piece to Mr. Boswell as it is prominently displayed multiple times on his website. I'll have to keep an eye out, that has got to be my favorite so fa.!

The bent "shot shell" pipes are very unique as well.....he makes a lot of really nice pipes. I can't believe they are so affordable!

NewSmoke":bau37kqw said:
Thanks for expanding my knowledge gents! I love knowing the correct terminology. That's the picture that I was trying to post, new guys like myself don't have that privilege until after a week of membership.

That's the pipe that I was talking about though, pipe insert and all, I just didn't know how to properly explain it (noob).

It's got a great look, I imagine that must have been a special piece to Mr. Boswell as it is prominently displayed multiple times on his website. I'll have to keep an eye out, that has got to be my favorite so fa.!

The bent "shot shell" pipes are very unique as well.....he makes a lot of really nice pipes. I can't believe they are so affordable!
I'll inquire the next time I stop by the shop and keep an eye out. JM seems to have a special spot for servicemen, I bet he'd hold until you can inquire. Being pretty familiar with his pricing, that one might go $169 or thereabouts.

That would be great! It's nice to know someone local to the shop with some insider knowledge! I look forward to hearing from you. Once I get my Boswell, I'll be sure to send some pics of it in action out here in AFG. Thanks again for all the help!

I just ordered my Rhodesian on Thursday and will be posting a photo as soon as it arrives. I really want a poker from them and will probably make another order in a few weeks.

NewSmoke":t2swmal3 said:
I'm not sure what size FOB you are on, but I would recommend paying for a monthly subscription from skype to call landlines and cell phones in the US. I use the worldwide plan and it is what has kept me sane for the last two years. I think there is a US only plan that is even cheaper.

Good luck on finding your pipe and stay safe!!!

Thai'd Up":l4eh708x said:
I just ordered my Rhodesian on Thursday and will be posting a photo as soon as it arrives. I really want a poker from them and will probably make another order in a few weeks.
This Weathered Stone Rhodesian? If so, that is beautiful. I love his polished top Rhodesians. Enjoy that one!
Weathered_Stone__3.jpg

riff raff":v0p4yecg said:
Thai'd Up":v0p4yecg said:
This Weathered Stone Rhodesian? If so, that is beautiful. I love his polished top Rhodesians. Enjoy that one!
Weathered_Stone__3.jpg
Yup that's the pipe...very nice indeed