List your top 5 Metal Albums of all times!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
juanmedusa":2o83bycw said:
I grew up on Pantera. Vulgar display of power through The great southern trendkill is definitely my happy zone for them. Those three albums were in heavy rotation for me.
A few smoking buddies and I were analyzing the Pantera arc recently. The one who knows most about the topic agreed that TGST was a type of peak for them.

I just got Corrosion of Conformity's In the Arms of God and I don't know that it's really a metal album through and through by everyone's standard but it's such a solid hard album that I can't get out of my car cd player for long recently. Anybody hear that one?
I have not; the last COC I heard in depth was Blind (although Eye for an Eye is in semi-regular rotation).

I have a soft spot for Slayer, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Anthrax.
All good choices. Very mid-80s. I might have to throw on Painkiller later with a bowl of Irish Flake.

gospelman":2o83bycw said:
I don't really consider AC/DC metal, but I have several of their albums. I just think they are one of the finest rock and roll outfits going.
I agree completely on both counts. Hard rock, not metal. But great stuff.

gospelman":2o83bycw said:
Also, I don't remember seeing Led Zeppelin mentioned...some consider them sort of the fathers of metal...I think their music is much to varied to be pigeonholed into one style...but they are also one of my favorites, and I have several of their records...hard to pick a favorite.
I would apply the same analysis to Led Zeppelin as AC/DC.

Metal started (sort of) with Sabbath. Led Zep was a minor influence, with Jethro Tull, King Crimson and late 1960s punk, plus the horror movies Sabbath was imitating, as much bigger ones.

The song '7 Screaming Diz-Busters' by the Blue Oyster Cult is a great example of early Metal.  While not an album, it's quite noteworthy when considering the origins of Metal in the 70's.

Not so much 'Metal' in the entire song, but parts of it definitely go way above and beyond what anyone else was doing in 1974/1975 when this was recorded.

The real guitar work starts at about the 3-minute mark and then again at the 6-minute mark, but it's a worthwhile listen all the way through. (though one you definitely won't hear on Christian radio stations.  lol

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/81UZNkqP18I" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

Hey deathmetal,
I agree with your buddy on Pantera. CFH was awesome but I think Vulgar is where they started really separating themselves and they built on that up to TGSTK then lost momentum going into the next album.
Since you're familiar with CoC, I'd highly recommend you give In the Arms of God a listen. A great heavy rock album that I get vibes of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and southern rock from at times then they bring it down on the second to last track which is basically an intro to the last which they hammer home with an awesome grinding metal song. They had a fill in drummer on this album that I looked up and seemed to be playing out of style with CoC but was really good here. Let me know if you get to it.

What, no Cannibal Corpse? ;)

Seriously though, I have trouble with any of these top 5/top 10 list things because every time I think of one album another pops into my mind.

My taste in metal never ran too far past accessible. The only band in DeathMetal's list that I recognize is Sepultura. Albums I dig, some of which could arguably be categorized as hard rock, depending on what you listen to..

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss/Reign in Blood
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
High on Fire - Death is This Communion
Megadeth - Peace Sells but Who's Buying? (this would be a top pick for me if it wasn't for the horrible B.S. filler version of "Ain't Superstitious," which to me is a microcosmic example of why Megadeth is not a great metal band. (You can't have it both ways, just ask Metallica)  
Melvins - Houdini (Is this considered metal? Who cares, it's heavy and I like it.)

juanmedusa":nil1aftm said:
Hey deathmetal,
Since you're familiar with CoC, I'd highly recommend you give In the Arms of God a listen. A great heavy rock album that I get vibes of Sabbath, Zeppelin, and southern rock from at times then they bring it down on the second to last track which is basically an intro to the last which they hammer home with an awesome grinding metal song. They had a fill in drummer on this album that I looked up and seemed to be playing out of style with CoC but was really good here. Let me know if you get to it.
I'll check it out. It takes me a while, since it's hard to listen to these around work/family.

Rob_In_MO":nil1aftm said:
The song '7 Screaming Diz-Busters' by the Blue Oyster Cult is a great example of early Metal.  While not an album, it's quite noteworthy when considering the origins of Metal in the 70's.
Interesting stuff. Not sure I'd call it metal, but VERY influential in the 70s.

DrumsAndBeer":nil1aftm said:
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss/Reign in Blood
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Great choices there. Some classic stuff! No Cannibal Corpse for me but a lot of Suffocation, Deeds of Flesh and other related bands like Monstrosity.

Loud Hard Fast? off the top of my head...

1. Motorhead,  Bomber or Ace of Spades
2, Led Zep,  Presence
3. Sabbath, Paranoid
4. B o C,  Spectres (for "Godzilla")

5. & for variety's sake, Judas Priest, Stained Class
...atho' it's been awhile since I listened to that *ahem* cassette...

Honorable mention to Metallica.

The more overtly "Slaytanic" stuff never really floated my boat. Gave Celtic Frost a fair spin, though.
I like what little I hear by Mastodon on sirius.

JustPlainBill - if you like 'Spectres', then please check out 'On Your Feet Or On Your Knees'.

It's pre- 'Dont Fear The Reaper' when they were harder and more consistent.
The raw energy and band's flawless performance makes it on of rock's best early-live albums.

If you want a copy of it, PM me. 8)

Haven't been into metal since the late 60's/early 70's.

For me back then, Zep 1 and 2, the first couple Sabbath albums, and Deep Purple's "Deep Purple In Rock" define the era for this geezer (no pun intended, if you get my drift).

Nowadays I can listen to metal but just don't dig it like I once did. Moved on.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":0h09zvy0 said:
Haven't been into metal since the late 60's/early 70's.

For me back then, Zep 1 and 2, the first couple Sabbath albums, and Deep Purple's "Deep Purple In Rock" define the era for this geezer (no pun intended, if you get my drift).

Nowadays I can listen to metal but just don't dig it like I once did. Moved on.

Cheers,

RR
For me, the defining era in Metal was the early 80's. That's when it really seemed to take form. One of my favorite groups from the early 80's Metal era is W.A.S.P., but there are many others that followed suit as well in that era.